Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We are stuck with FF for foreseeable future...

Options
  • 15-06-2007 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

I cant see FF out of government for a long time unfortunately...the reason? Because the Media always give them a soft time and most people with influence dont like change and are conservative. So I think FF will be in power for probably the next 30 years or so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Most of the media wanted then out but the numbers did'nt quite add up for that. Its the multi-seat PR system thats at the root of this problem - there are too many possibilites for FF, as the largest party to form alliances of convience.

Some sort of % rule needs introducing like Germany. 5% is the barrier I think. That said some reckon this rule has meant German post-war politics has been largely moribund.

The best way to offer a successful alternative to FF led coalition is proberly for FG and Lab to merge and learn how to manage thier collective vote

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Media doesn't give FF an easy time - the public give FF an easy time despite the media coverage. Also, there was an election recently and despite the media coverage FG and Labour were rejected as a coalition - that's democracy. When enough people want change they will get it, they just have to be convinced they want change, which they haven't been for the last 10 years.

FG need to get rid of Enda, people have already said they don't want him as taoiseach - and this was despite the Irish Times trying to convince people otherwise. He won't have any more leadership ability in five years than he had this time around. He'll still have had only a few years of cabinet experience then, and i can't see people being any more willing to let him lead the country.

Advertisement