Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charter Policies vs. Common Sense

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Boston wrote:
    I see no rubbish in this thread. I see people pointing out how the user is wrong.

hahahahah my fave quote of the day, and indicative of what feedback is :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

How about having a sticky list of hosting providers' IRC channels on the Webmaster forum? They have IRC channels in case of phone/email outages don't they?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've a very similar thread in this forum, where I did explain in detail some exceptional circumstances to take in to consideration before a Mod making a decision. However, I've given up on there because it just resulted in the same rubbish as here.
    I see no rubbish(as regards the relevant replies) on the other thread, people told you why what we do is the case and why it should not be the other way. If you want to make a case, post further on that thread.
    Maybe answer DeVore's question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I see no rubbish(as regards the relevant replies) on the other thread, people told you why what we do is the case and why it should not be the other way. If you want to make a case, post further on that thread.
    Maybe answer DeVore's question.

I said earlier in this thread Tar, that I gave up on that thread because I couldn't be bothered trying to nit-pick comments made by people and answer Dev's question. The last post I made just before Dev's was intended to be my last, so I'll leave it at that.

In fairness to you, you gave a decent reply to my query/suggestion and I accepted it (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53384957&postcount=15)

The reason I was comparing both threads is because I feel that every time somebody makes a valid point or suggestion, they seem to be jumped on by Mods & Admins by telling them they were wrong in the first place etc etc etc

I just feel that sometimes points merit a more reasonable reply, rather than being disgarded and the thread turning into handbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The replies to this thread have been reasonable, the user hasn't being disregarded, and the thread hasn't turned into "hand bags". You're delusional. The only similarity between this and your thread is the word charter in the title. Completely different points being made. You've obviously nothing to contribute to this thread, except trying to turn it into your one all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The prats are handbagged for not reading the charters, then deciding to "fight teh pow3h", and finally just get site banned after being told to read the charter for the 5th or so time.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Kudos

There seems to be a lot of people posting in here with sweeping arguments when that is exactly what meep is pointing out was wrong with the situation. This was a unique incident and should have been dealt with as such. A simple lock on the thread would have prevented it degenerating and still allowed webmasters (that is what the forum is for) to see what was up with H365. A mod should have patience and restraint, but none was shown on this thread.

Personally I can't stand the politics associated with being a regular boards member and so i have a bookmark directly to the webmaster forum, i would never have seen a related thread in another forum. I only saw this thread as it is linked from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Kudos wrote:
    This was a unique incident
    How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

meep wrote:
    I logged on to boards.ie to find out what was happening. There, under tech > web > webmaster & flash I found a thread where very quickly a H365 rep. popped up and directed to a status page.
    If there was a status page up, there was no longer any need to have a thread. I think thats called "Common Sense".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Victor wrote:
    If there was a status page up, there was no longer any need to have a thread. I think thats called "Common Sense".

Clients of the hosting company may have known of a status page. The OP afaik isn't a direct client of the hosting company but is impacted by the outage and was looking for info. Said info was provided by a company rep and promptly deleted as it was against the charter - hence this thread.

The argument being made is that, in this instance, that info was of considerable value to the users of the forum and that, rather than deleting the info, it could have been left available and the thread locked thereby applying some common sense as to what was in the best interest of the users of that particular community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Kudos wrote:

Personally I can't stand the politics associated with being a regular boards member and so i have a bookmark directly to the webmaster forum, i would never have seen a related thread in another forum. I only saw this thread as it is linked from there.

so you only read one forum. what exactly does that have to do with any point being made here?

FWIW, I agree with the OP. somewhat.
    If theres a hosting issue with something, i dont see why a thread cant be started on it. after all, its topical.
    and while i agree that boards.ie is not a public noticeboard (my 6th, you finally made me smile with your wifes dinner gag), i fail to see why a discussion in a forum that deals with these sorts of things cant be allowed to go.
    and im not even sure why how it is against the charter. im just not seeing it. maybe its just too early in the morning for me?

however, i do suggest that people dont get up in arms when boards.ie fails to provide a public service broadcast for something that really, has nothing to do with it. thats just an idiotic notion. although, if 6th's missus can let us know what hes having for his dinner tomorrow, i for one am eager to find out.

i would post a cat picture, but my new cats just wont sit still. playful little kittens!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

DeepBlue wrote:
    The argument being made is that, in this instance, that info was of considerable value to the users of the forum and that, rather than deleting the info, it could have been left available and the thread locked thereby applying some common sense as to what was in the best interest of the users of that particular community.

but it isnt boards.ie primary concern. its a topic of interest.

but as said, i dont see why it shoudlnt be allowed on the forum.

there are actually two issues here. can people stop bundling them up into a single one. youre not making sense otherwise.

right, time for breakfast :)

If theres a hosting issue with something, i dont see why a thread cant be started on it. after all, its topical.
    and while i agree that boards.ie is not a public noticeboard (my 6th, you finally made me smile with your wifes dinner gag), i fail to see why a discussion in a forum that deals with these sorts of things cant be allowed to go.
    and im not even sure why how it is against the charter. im just not seeing it. maybe its just too early in the morning for me?

Hosting companies in the past on boards have caused sever problems. If i recall correctly an entire forum devoted to the topic (moderated by Corinthian) was closed down(for a time?). Someone would post some problem with host x up, people working for hosts A,B,C,D and Z would then derail the thread with crap. So eventually action was taken ,and topic on hosts were banned. There may very well have been some legal threats, I don't know. Point is, they're banned because of people behaving like children.

You can argue that the rules is outdated and shouldn't be there, but it is, and it's not really a users place to decide what rules they will and will not follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Kudos

so you only read one forum. what exactly does that have to do with any point being made here?

The point was made that we could have found to other threads with the same information elsewhere on boards, and that therefore it wasn't needed in the webmaster forum. I was making the point that no, i would not have otherwise found it.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Common sense failed to be employed by users on boards.ie before I signed up, that's why we have charter policies and no exceptions. Simple as.

Ruffles feathers sometimes, causes problems, but thems the breaks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

seamus wrote:
    meep, for clarity, boards.ie advertises to keep itself running, not make a profit.

Not wanting to get off-topic here, but we are not averse to making a profit. Making us out to be a charity is misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

ecksor wrote:
    Not wanting to get off-topic here

I, however, do

Chickenz. Ffffzzzz. Ffffzzzz.

Wow look at what I started :)

I am not going to defend myself or whatever. I made a decision, I stand by it. Dont like it - tough.

All calls for impeachment will be, as usual, ignored by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ecksor wrote:
    Not wanting to get off-topic here, but we are not averse to making a profit. Making us out to be a charity is misleading.
    Indeed, I didn't mean to imply that anything excess wouldn't be spent on coke and hookers. Now that I read it, I did make it sound a bit like a charity :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It really should be a charity... it provides a valuable community service by keeping us lot off the streets.

Ph3n0m wrote:
    I, however, do

Chickenz. Ffffzzzz. Ffffzzzz.

Wow look at what I started :)

I am not going to defend myself or whatever. I made a decision, I stand by it. Dont like it - tough.

All calls for impeachment will be, as usual, ignored by me.

I'm going to start getting mental at people who cause me to think "I'm never getting that 5 seconds of my life back" after they post on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

ecksor wrote:
    I'm going to start getting mental at people who cause me to think "I'm never getting that 5 seconds of my life back" after they post on this forum.

What do you mean "start getting mental" - thought that was a prerequisite?

Get back to me when you're not high.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

elviscostello, you never answered me in that other post so I took it to mean that you decided to accept I was correct. If you want to continue it, the thread is still open. Otherwise I suggest you drop it.

We have a special rule about the hosters here because they have shown in the past to be unable to control themselves and unwilling to respect our position legally and continued to say things that were potentially litigious.

The problem is that when one hoster has a problem the others *gleefully* run to boards and (with poe faces) ask whats the problem with the hoster in question and offer assistance to their customers should they need emergency hosting etc etc.
    For all the mod knows, yours was the start of that kind of messing.

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    elviscostello, you never answered me in that other post so I took it to mean that you decided to accept I was correct.

How does asking somebody a question and them not replying, make you correct?
    DeVore wrote:
    If you want to continue it, the thread is still open. Otherwise I suggest you drop it.

I don't..... as mentioned earlier in this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53432513&postcount=65

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Generally when someone has no answer for a point (which is in fact a point being made to answer THEIR original complaint) then I take it to mean they accept the answer.

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    Generally when someone has no answer for a point (which is in fact a point being made to answer THEIR original complaint) then I take it to mean they accept the answer.

DeV.

:confused: It wasn't a point or an answer??!! It was a question..... And as I clearly stated Dev, it wasn't a complaint on my behalf. I was asking a question also, and to some degree making a suggestion.

Sorry for replying on this thread and relating it to mine, but there was a connection I'm sure you'll agree.

:confused: It wasn't a point or an answer??!! It was a question..... And as I clearly stated Dev, it wasn't a complaint on my behalf. I was asking a question also, and to some degree making a suggestion.

Sorry for replying on this thread and relating it to mine, but there was a connection I'm sure you'll agree.

Heres your metal and a clap on the back for derailing this thread.

Advertisement