Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional Licnse in N.I.

Options
  • 15-06-2007 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, does anybody know if somebody with an Irish Provisional License would be legally able to drive in Northern Ireland if accompanied by a full Irish driving license holder.

I tried googling it but didn't come up with an answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

woooo232 wrote:
    Just a quick question, does anybody know if somebody with an Irish Provisional License would be legally able to drive in Northern Ireland if accompanied by a full Irish driving license holder.

I tried googling it but didn't come up with an answer.

I don't think that a Irish Provisional would be valid in Northern Ireland. From my memory I don't think my old English Provisional licence was recognised over here and I know my Irish provisional wasn't recognised in England when I first went to take lessons and I had to get the UK one.

But I am sure there is someone on here somewhere that would know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

woooo232 wrote:

No. Your provisional isn't valid outside the Republic.

Your best bet is to put someone with a full licence on your insurance and let them drive once you get across the border. That's what I used to do before when I had a provisional and needed to go up North.

Don't take the chance of driving on the provisional. I let a friend of mine with a full licence drive my car up there before, but forgot to take down the L-plates and the PSNI stopped her and gave her a right bollocking even though she was able to show them her licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I am assuming you mean to use it in the ridiculous way it can be used without a learned driver in the car. Well then its a no defo

Question you have to ask yourself is do you feel lucky....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Zambia232 wrote:
    I am assuming you mean to use it in the ridiculous way it can be used without a learned driver in the car. Well then its a no defo

Question you have to ask yourself is do you feel lucky....

eh no... if you read my original post you will see that I said "if accompanied by a full Irish driving license holder" The question you have to ask yourself is why didn`t you read it properly before posting a ridiculous question!

Thanks guys I won`t take the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I usually stop at the border and whip off the plates. Not been stopped yet (although I came close today; PSNI traffic control at the scene of an accident waving people through...I was just waiting to have my collar felt as I crawled by)

The cops WILL do you and do you well for an infringement like this in the north (and rightly so), but I'd be much more concerned about insurance issues in the event of any collision...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

If you read the front of your provisional licence it clearly says this licence is issued for the purpose of enabling the holder to learn to drive and is not valid outside the state. So therefore your licence is not valid outside the state as the 6 counties have not yet been returned to the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Wertz wrote:
    I usually stop at the border and whip off the plates. Not been stopped yet (although I came close today; PSNI traffic control at the scene of an accident waving people through...I was just waiting to have my collar felt as I crawled by)

The cops WILL do you and do you well for an infringement like this in the north (and rightly so), but I'd be much more concerned about insurance issues in the event of any collision...

If your a provsional driver and you do as Wertz said take off the L plates at the boarder you are also not insured in the north. So if you are involved in an accident you will not be covered by you insurer. You will also get arrested and your car taken from you until you can get somebody eho has a full licence to drive it back south. Its just not worth the risk. Thankfully I got my full licence today so I dont have to worry about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Wertz wrote:
    but I'd be much more concerned about insurance issues in the event of any collision...

Obviously not concerned enough to not do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Unfortunately where I live straddles the border and my line of work takes me all over the area. Not due a test for another 4-5 months. Have to pay for the car so have to get to work. That's the risk.
    I don't recommend people do it, but if they do, to know that it's illegal...but at least taking your L down will detract attention.
    bonkey wrote:
    Obviously not concerned enough to not do it.

Concerned enough not to collide with anything that leads to those insurance issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

uh oh....i'm on a provisional and drove up there a few weeks ago. This never even occured to me! had the L plates down for driving on the motorway to get up there so didn't get stopped...thankfully!!

Won't be doing it again though now that i know!
    Thanks Boards!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wertz wrote:
    Unfortunately where I live straddles the border and my line of work takes me all over the area.

Where's that exactly? Last time I was stopped for a licence check was in Strabane going towards Lifford. PSNI stopping a whole line of traffic along the road. Speed check there too for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Wertz wrote:
    Concerned enough not to collide with anything that leads to those insurance issues...
    Of course.

Forgive me for forgetting that people who have accidents do so deliberately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 boyracer87

Hey,

Just wondering if i can drive in the UK with my irish provisional licence???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

boyracer87 wrote:
    Hey,

Just wondering if i can drive in the UK with my irish provisional licence???
    No, it is strictly prohibited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

No, it is strictly prohibited!

Yes, you would get done over there if pulled over. I'm not even sure if your insurance would you cover you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Agree wirh above.... in fact I seem to remember it says so on the front ....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And don't even think of driving on your own like many do over here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/LearningToDriveOrRide/DG_4022661
    If you want to practise your driving with an accompanying driver, the accompanying driver must be over the age of 21 and must have held (and still hold) a full licence for three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Your name as well "Boyracer" I'd imagine you would be pulled over fairly quick or stand out like sore thumb. You think the law over here is bad for drivers, try driving over there, its 10times as bad, i wouldnt even risk it, plus your on a provisional so you probably never driven on a motorway ;) and most of england is full of motor ways.

jhegarty wrote:
    I seem to remember it says so on the front ....

"This is a learner license issued to enable the licensee to learn to drive and is not valid outside Ireland"

(I think it would be better if the substituted "Ireland" with "Republic of Ireland" as many provisional licensees are under the impression that they are legally permitted to drive in Northern Ireland).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stark wrote:
    No. Your provisional isn't valid outside the Republic.

Your best bet is to put someone with a full licence on your insurance and let them drive once you get across the border. That's what I used to do before when I had a provisional and needed to go up North.

Don't take the chance of driving on the provisional. I let a friend of mine with a full licence drive my car up there before, but forgot to take down the L-plates and the PSNI stopped her and gave her a right bollocking even though she was able to show them her licence.
    Don't forget that even if you have an NI provisional the accompaning driver must be over 21 and hold a full valid EU/EEA license for 3 years or over before you could drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

Don't chance it as I have been travelling up and down for the past 5 weeks and there is a strong Police presence on the road stopping cars and also speed traps.

Threads merged.

Advertisement