Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology job opportunities

• 15-06-2007 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭

I've been scrolling through a few of the threads and have noticed that it seems to be very difficult to obtain a job in the psychology department. Is this true?

I've been thinking about studying Psychology and English next year but I wouldn't be interested if I wouldn't be able to obtain employment in the psychology sector.

Also, I heard from my principal that there will be a great demand for psychologists in the future because they will be needed in most schools. Is this true? He's not around these days so I can't ask him.

I know there are probably other threads on this topic but I couldn't find the information I needed in the threads I went through and I'm currently sitting the LC so it's hard to find time for it all. I only have another week to change my CAO form so I'd be grateful for any informtion.

In short: If I get a degree in Psychology will I have trouble finding a job? Don't mind doing postgraduate studies as well.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

I've heard psychologists are in great demand at present! Particularly now as the gov. is trying to rearrange health care to bring in more non-medical prefessionals.

Not sure about ed. psych as my main focus will be in the clinical/biological/neuro aspects of psychology. But, I'm sure as schools become larger, more impersonal, and, I regret to say, a lot more dangerous, we will see an increase in the demand for educational psychologists as well.

I know it might be a bit early to ask, but what aspect(s) of psych do you wish to specialize in?

P.S: Hoping to do Psych in Trinity as well so I shall see you their (assuming I get the points).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

hope your LC is going well (has gone well?)
    There are a whole lot of different ways that psychologists can be employed as psychologists. Some do not carry on and move into a different field. The only reason for studying psychology or any other subject is because it's interestiing and you want to! Don't worry about jobs..........there'll always be one. You may change your mind over the next 4 years about what you want to do anyway!

Advertisement