Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

full car licence and bikes

• 15-06-2007 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

looked in the motorbikes FAQ, and didn't find info on this.

can anyone tell me up to what cylinder i can drive with a full car licence? can i carry a pillion passenger?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You can drive a moped. If you want to drive a bike, it's a whole different discipline, and requires much more skill than a car license will qualifiy you to have.

You'll need to appy for a provisional, which restricts you to a horspower or power to weight limit, pass your test. After you pass your test, you're entitled to carry Pillions, but the power/power to weight restriction won't be lifted for 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

thanks ned, that was quick, but up to what cylinder? i know in the UK, you can drive up to a 125cc motorbike or moped on a full car licence and carry a pillion. Is it the same here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can drive a class M vehicle only - engine not exceeding 50cc and with a maximum speed of 45km/h.

You may carry a pillion passenger.

As Seamus stated up to 50cc, which is usual a single cylinder engine, and usually a moped. As long as you don't exceed that, you're entitled to carry a Pillion (For example, renting a scooter on holidays), but if you want to ride a larger bike with gears, that'll require getting a bike provisional, and no matter your age, or car experience, you'll be starting from scratch I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

ned78 wrote:
    As Seamus stated up to 50cc, which is usual a single cylinder engine, and usually a moped. As long as you don't exceed that, you're entitled to carry a Pillion (For example, renting a scooter on holidays), but if you want to ride a larger bike with gears, that'll require getting a bike provisional, and no matter your age, or car experience, you'll be starting from scratch I'm afraid.
    Depends where you holiday. Category M is not an EU harmonised category. It does not have to be recognised in the rest of the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

murphaph wrote:
    Depends where you holiday. Category M is not an EU harmonised category. It does not have to be recognised in the rest of the EU.
    Yup, it's category P in Britain.

murphaph wrote:

It was a generic example, not intended to be gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

No probs ned, I know I was being a bit pedantic but it's actually a common misconception that the M is harmonised across the EU/EEA. I'm not sure about M/P but I'm fairly sure that taking a tractor over the border on a W licence may mean you are driving without a licence in Northern Ireland.

Advertisement