Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 1-Series redeems itself?

Options
  • 15-06-2007 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of the 1 series hatch. I think the rear end is a mish mash of lines that just don’t work together. I've been firmly of the opinion that the raison d'etre of the 1 series was to comfort buyers of the 3 series, particularly the 4 cylinder versions, that they weren't driving the entry level BMW. I've just seen pics of the 1 series coupe on auto express and I have to say, I've changed my mind. The styling really reminds me of the 02 series bmw's of old, it looks class. What do the rest of you think?

car_photo_219101_5.jpg

5060331.002.mini8L.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

If thats it then it looks too much like the 3 series. I thought the point of the 1 series was that it was a hatch back??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

looks **** IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Except for that stupid fin on the roof, it doesn't look too bad.

Be intersting to see what it looks like in the flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think it looks awful.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fugly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

That's only a 2-door model. Will there be a 4-door?

It now looks like a 3-series lite version to me :)

It's not bad but to be honest, I imagine it's going to be very expensive compared with similar cars in its class so will only be for the posers who can't afford a bigger version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

a poor man's 3 series

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I wana vomit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

May suit the barbie & ken types who bought the 3-Series compacts.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I think it looks nice (from what I've seen) and I love the way beemers can alwasy be spotted and hark towards their heritage.

Funny the reactions here, of course jealousy never enters into it, I seem to remember the A5 and C class getting the same reactions :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

looks cheap and korean.

And whats the story with the feminine front & lights ... bmws are always meant to look sleek and aggressive from the front. the 5 door hatch was more meaty imo

This looks like this..

pitstop1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It looks like a little Gordon Keeble from the back. I'd really have to see one in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Looks like a 3 series e46 ti thats been squeezed in a bit....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

r3nu4l wrote:
    It now looks like a 3-series lite version to me :)

I agree - I'd say a 4 door saloon in that format could be pretty tight. I don't know if the new 3 series saloon is any bigger than my e46 saloon, but I personally would find a saloon any smaller than mine too small.

Will be interesting to see it in the flesh, I really didn't like the new 3 series coupe when I saw the pictures, but it looks way nicer when you see it for real. At least the 1 series and e46 ti are supposed to be a pretty good drive, even if they aren't the prettiest.
    alias no.9 wrote:
    I've been firmly of the opinion that the raison d'etre of the 1 series was to comfort buyers of the 3 series, particularly the 4 cylinder versions, that they weren't driving the entry level BMW.

Or maybe they simply wanted to offer a more conventional looking hatchback than the compacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

My god that is ugly. Really really cheapens the brand in my opinion. I think Audi and Merc will be delighted to see this, BM's complete dilution of its prestige branding.

Interested to know what Ned78 thinks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bigkev49 wrote:
    My god that is ugly. Really really cheapens the brand in my opinion. I think Audi and Merc will be delighted to see this, BM's complete dilution of its prestige branding.

Interested to know what Ned78 thinks of it.

BMW have had the compacts for many years, so I don't think this is particularly new. The 1.6 engines in earlier coupes had the same effect IMO. It's certainly no worse than the Merc A Class to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

This really is ugly though. I know it just my personal opinion but its on a par with the Nissan Tilda. Merc A Class was never this bad. Any ideas of pricing?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

I like the 1 series 5 door, we looked at the 118D but the tail was a bit loose in the wet, I like the styling, but this one looks cheap, someone said Gordon Keeble, I'd say OLD (communist era) skoda rapide, it looks like a matchbox 3 series (the way you can only shrink a design so much before it looks cartoonish)

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭38psi

bigkev49 wrote:
    This really is ugly though. I know it just my personal opinion but its on a par with the Nissan Tilda. Merc A Class was never this bad. Any ideas of pricing?

I am sure it will look far better in the flesh, and to say its on a par with the Nissan Tilda is just crazy.....IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just had a look at the other pics on the net.

I'm not known for my praise of Beemers, but I think that this is one nice and tidy small Coupe ...sporty even.

Not as lard-arsed as the 3-series and certainly not as brutally blockish as the 5-series. The proportions on it actually flow, which can't be said about the hatchback...that's just ugly.

Would agree with alias no.9 that it sort of harks back to Bmw's of old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I like the 1 series 5 door, we looked at the 118D but the tail was a bit loose in the wet, I like the styling, but this one looks cheap, someone said Gordon Keeble, I'd say OLD (communist era) skoda rapide, it looks like a matchbox 3 series (the way you can only shrink a design so much before it looks cartoonish)

lol you must be some driver to get the 118d tail out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Cyrus wrote:

T'was my wife :o (who was 5 months pregnant and thought it drove like a tractor :eek:, the face on the sales rep was priceless) we both then decided that a passat was more appropriate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Interesting question, alias no.9! I've never liked the looks of the 1-series and I thought it was a bad move by BMW to go downmarket / unnecessarily diversify

I'd like to see it in the flash, but the coupe looks promising imho. The 1-series are a good drivers' car and if this one can be as good or even better and perhaps coupled with the new twin turbo 3.0l this could be a winner. Future classic :D

Probably much more like the original E30 M3 in fun and handling than todays M3, which has grown quite a lot, as all cars have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

TomMC wrote:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0444146&q=fiat

Wonder will this ever make production ?
    I really hope it does, I had one of the originals - what a car !
    And the Fiat boss hopes to bring Lancia back to the UK and I hope Ireland so we might get them too - thats alot of mights though. :(
    Have to make do with new cinquecento for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Cyrus wrote:

Why??

Are you implying its hard to spin a 118d around??

I would imagine it would be easier to spin than a 120i due to the extra power torque lower down the revs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I like it, especially if they put the lump from the 335i in it. I'm sure I read there is going be be an 'M2'...

Another pic Here

Shame it's not this

• Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Gatster wrote:
    I like it, especially if they put the lump from the 335i in it. I'm sure I read there is going be be an 'M2'...

Ah, clever! Call the 1-series coupe a 2-series and use M2. Obviously M1 would not have been appropriate

slide-9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Gatster wrote:

Another pic Here

Shame it's not this

have to say I like that, the 1 series hatchback is one of the ugliest cars on the road, when I was looking last year I test drove one and it was ok to drive but horrible to look at and not very practical either. It had nothing going for it at all, and made it a very easy choice to walk away. Even though they were offering amazing deals on them as they are not selling well at all as I understand it. Aam not a big fan of the 3 series either but if this had been available at the time I would have looked closely at it. Have to figure they'll price it around the same as a bottom end 3 series?

Advertisement