Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 1-Series redeems itself?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Whilst looking for other stuff on the webulator on this, found this lot, which although brilliant would certainly require committment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I dont like it. 3/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Nah.
    The proportions look all wrong. Reminds me of the old Mazda 121 a bit, the cabin looks too big for the body it's sitting on. And I'm probably in the minority here, being a fan of the hatch.

I think the hatch is a fine looking car and a great drive. I'm just not sure why BMW brought out a 2 seater hatchback with a glovebox where the boot should be. As a niche car though it ticks the boxes for someone wanting a RWD, dynamically excellent sporty car, and never carries more than one passenger and some sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

To me it looks like it was designed by the same person who put the boot onto the 98 MY Astra saloon. hinchysAstBlu374.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Apparantly this fast 1 series Coupé will boast a four pot, well at least when the 1 series Coupé was doing high speed testing at the Nordschleife, it was boasting 4 pots, according to Autocar.

As for the looks, it looks like a BMW before Bangle ruined their styling, so gets a definate yes from me.

It reminds me of what a modern day E30 coupé would look like, now if they could get rid of that fin on the roof,it would be great.
    It also looks like a car which will be VERY small in the back.

However I do agree that downsizing does cheapen the brand though. They are not supposed to be a car that every Tom, Dick and Harry can buy. I'm sorry for being elitist, but its the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

E92 wrote:
    However I do agree that downsizing does cheapen the brand though. They are not supposed to be a car that every Tom, Dick and Harry can buy. I'm sorry for being elitist, but its the truth.

every tom, dick and harry can already buy one. the stat that there are more 3 series sold in the uk than mondeo is overused but on point? they are hardly elitist at the moment not sure what difference this model could possible make :confused:

your not being elitist your delusional!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

You have a point but the reason why the 3 series is so popular in the UK is cause you can run one as a company car for no more than a Mondeo or Avensis because they are so much better at holding their value. BMWs are still a car that people aspire to, they're far more popular today sure but thats because we have more money. They're still as desirable today as they were when I first became interested in cars about 10 years ago.

I worry that in BMWs attempts to appeal further and further to the masses that they will lose this desirability and yes all good things come to an end, one of the reasons why Mondeo man doesnt exist over there anymore is because everyone else had a Mondeo and people switched over to the Beemer or Audi etc so as not to be driving the same car as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

RobAMerc wrote:
    Funny the reactions here, of course jealousy never enters into it.

I don't see how jealousy could enter it. It's a horrible looking car, bought by people who want a new beemer but cant afford the 3 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

E92 wrote:
    You have a point but the reason why the 3 series is so popular in the UK is cause you can run one as a company car for no more than a Mondeo or Avensis because they are so much better at holding their value. BMWs are still a car that people aspire to, they're far more popular today sure but thats because we have more money. They're still as desirable today as they were when I first became interested in cars about 10 years ago.

I am not convinced that a BMW 3 series depreciates less than a Ford Mondeo or Avensis. The Mondeo holds a pretty poor % of its value relative to the BMW, but the sum upon which that % is very different.

Most people buy BMWs for the badge. Some buy for the balanced dynamics and so forth, but they are the minority

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As for BMW not tending to the masses and being a purely "upper crust" marque, let me give you a little history lesson:

First ever BMW car, the "Dixi" (or re-badged Austin 7)
    bmw_dixi.jpg

Bmw's post war efforts:

Isetta
    bmw_isetta_open.jpg

BMW_600.jpg

BMW%20700%20LS%20(1963).jpg

8.jpg

and let's not forget the 315
    bmw3.jpg

It's been these "bread and butter" cars that made the money that made all the glamorous and fast ones possible, which in turn fed the "hype" that made everybody want to buy into the brand.

I'm not saying that BMW build bad cars, but they have their branding, image and pricing policy :D down to a tee.

• Advertisement

E92 wrote:

I worry that in BMWs attempts to appeal further and further to the masses that they will lose this desirability and yes all good things come to an end, one of the reasons why Mondeo man doesnt exist over there anymore is because everyone else had a Mondeo and people switched over to the Beemer or Audi etc so as not to be driving the same car as everyone else.

certainly not saying that they aren't desirable. just that they aren't elitist, far from it. like audi and mercedes, pretty much anyone who can afford a new golf or focus could buy a second hand 2 or 3 year old prestige brand if they feel like it. If anything the massive import market of 5 and 6 year old BMWs is dragging the brand down rather than the new models they are bringing out. Personally I am very wary of large 99/00 BMW saloons that you see an awful lot of on the roads now being driven very erratically. Could be just bias on my part though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote:
    and let's not forget the 315
    bmw3.jpg

Strong point, peasant. When my dad was buying a new car back in '82 the main contenders were a Golf, a Kadett and a 315. There wasn't much in it price wise with the 315 only marginally more expensive, but Opel did the best deal by far. And my dad isn't a keen driver obviously :)

more pics from same batch up on channel4:

1-series-c-jun07-2-f3q.jpg

1-series-c-jun07-2-fs.jpg

1-series-c-jun07-2-r.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've seen worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

bleh, personally hate these new bmw's - all over styled these days

Will be officially introduced in the IAA in Frankfurt in September and on sale later this year. The 135i will have a 0-100km/h time of 5.2s - the same as an E46 M3 :eek:

Was reading that the cabrio will have a cloth top. What's that all about?

The new 204BHP bi turbo diesel will be available in the 1 coupe too. 240km/h, 138g/km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

unkel wrote:

Was reading that the cabrio will have a cloth top. What's that all about?

weight saving, those floding tin top things weigh an awful lot, plus they take up a lot of room, the rear if the 1 series coupe is too short to accomadate

rag tops all the way :cool:

it will still be fugly though!!!:D :D:D

siralfalot wrote:
    rag tops all the way :cool:

Well I'm a fan of the CC hard top! :)

Saw a brand new 335 convertible up close recently (the first BMW with a CC top), but must admit I didn't like the lines of it with the roof up

TomMc wrote:
    May suit the barbie & ken types who bought the 3-Series compacts.:rolleyes:

Hey! :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement