Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German - The Fallout...

Options
  • 15-06-2007 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

So what did everybody make of this paper? I intended on sitting the higher level paper but doubts were cast in my mind when several of my friends who did better than me in the mocks dropped down to pass. I just couldn't see how I wouldn't have been able to pass Honours given that my oral went very well so I decided to stick with it.

The first comprehension must have taken me about 50 minutes to get through fully. I found it hard to interpret and was only able to manipulate the text by a bare minimum so I certainly won't be entitled to full marks here! The second comprehension was far easier I thought but it was simply because I had done more preparation on this particular issue than I had for music. I should get a decent percentage of the marks here.

I wrote just shy of 100 words for my hastily put together opinion and my letter was way over the recommended limit but I didn't include enough phrases to indicate some kind of fluency!

I would be pleased to get an honours on the written paper.

The aural I thought was relatively easy. As always I wrote in English for the second part (I've been doing it every week since 5th year) but corrected myself on the second hearing. For the third part, I didn't think that any of the words accurately described his attitude in the conversation but I reckon that "content" was probably the most applicable. I thought it was a bit sneaky of them to not really ask any specifics on the weather forecast... it almost caught me out!

I don't really have any complaints about the paper. I thought it was consistent throughout (albeit for the Teacher-past pupil question which they had given the answer to part A in the introduction to the conversation (before it even began) AND in a subsequent question).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I said content too, found it a bit difficult to explain why. The written paper I didn't like at all. First comprehension I found hard but I thought it was the better of the two. Honestly, I am hoping to scrape the D3 :( I expected this to go better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gowranistan

It was much eaiser than i expected, especially the aural but i the bit about the dolphins gave me a shock. The grammar was easier than normal (but still only got about half). I took way too long on the first comphrehension aswell but it was nowhere near as hard as the mocks so im hoping for b1. That was my last exam so now to go drown myself in alcohol tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kenzolo

all in all pretty easy enough. everyone got into a bit of hassle with the first comprehension that i asked. just seemed hard to understand. but overall i think i did pretty good. B3 will do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

I was delighted with the paper. I found myself spending alot more time on the first reading but the second was so easy it made up for the extra time there.

The Aussurung was relatively easy due to the fact that i had a feeling this topic was coming up so i had a few phrases learned.

The letter didn't raise any alarms either i thought? Easy to understand what they wanted and it was left very open to write about anything you wanted really. Im guessing that the program for the ball was the theme??

I found myself witting well over the required amount but it states learly in the edco papers that you aren't penalized for this.

The listening was probably the easiest one ive ever done? The news report was a bit bogey but i found after it all i had alot of the info given:)

Overall im very happy!!:D ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kenzolo

i got F**ked on the news report. what the hell wat the UN thing about?? i said something about a policy on the enviroment and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I did the ordinary level paper, it was grand.

It was pretty funny because during the aural, when the question came up about the national year of the dolphin, none of the honours could get it, so they just looked at the question in the ordinary level aural which said "what year is the national year of the dolphin" so they got the answer from that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Gowranistan

kenzolo wrote:
    i got F**ked on the news report. what the hell wat the UN thing about?? i said something about a policy on the enviroment and stuff.

Twas about dolphins - i didn't know delphine either. Got the reasons thogh pollution of the sea, overfishing too much ships or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I hadn't a clue what delphine was either, i wrote down a few phonetic ideas and got a few things for the attached question but low marks on that bit. Apart from that though I think I did a very strong exam, both written and aural, hoping for a result the same or higher than my mock (B1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

I thought the higher level one was very fair, the comprehensions were more straightforward than usual, and I'd say most people had a lot prepared for that Äußerung and the (b) part of the schriftliche produktion. The aural was ok too. I had to laugh at that stupid woman in teil 1... "ein Therapiehund?? Ein Hund für Therapie???" and at the ridiculous over-enthusiasm of the concert worker guy! Our supervisor fell asleep during it as well - hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

I was really pleased with the papaer, far easier than the mock, and the letter option allowed you to twist the topics a bit. Writing about the debs? Couldn't be easier.

Didn't get the dolphin thing, think I wrote down "Year of the Fisherman". Oh well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MadSambuka

the tape was so funny-the barking dog and the sausages-gotta love the german sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Well the honours paper was fairly handy cept for the Ausserung Zum Thema and the UN thing.....bout of which were seriously ****.I ended up writing the UN passed a law on the sea........Yeah.Wonder how i'll do with that answer?Anyways i'm still confident of a high C/B.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Well the honours paper was fairly handy cept for the Ausserung Zum Thema and the UN thing.....bout of which were seriously ****.I ended up writing the UN passed a law on the sea........Yeah.Wonder how i'll do with that answer?Anyways i'm still confident of a high C/B.

Yea I kind of had to guess dolphins myself.It was just a guess after hearing the rest of the report.It made sense at the time......I thought the section 3 of the listening was a little stupid.They gave you some subtle hints as to the answer of the first part...
    The rest was grand though.The written paper was doable using no more than bullsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stickytape

Except for the Ausserung, that was one lovely paper. it was very fair and doable and both texts were more relatable....even the music one.....way better than the mock one.

AThe CD wasnt too bad either. Except for the Dolphins bit.....i paniced and wrote down the year of the Fish....:(

Well very happy......roll on the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Ive got someone from germany in my class the lucky fecker. Hes a complete stoner though :))

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Ive got someone from germany in my class the lucky fecker. Hes a complete stoner though :))
    ****er!!I hate that.Thats a guaranteed 100 points for him!Still thats nothing compared to someone I know (the daughter of the woman who gave me german grinds).She speaks fluent german, fluent french and is EXCELLENT at Italian (well above Leaving cert standard).So thats like a guaranteed 280+ points for her leaving.*****.And shes only in 2nd year!Tis mad.Course her mothers even better.Speaks 6 languages like a native, and is now learning Russian!But I just don't understand it because the only language you really need nowadays is English.Yay English!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

I found the paper a walk in the park, expecting A1.
    But thats because i'm Swiss and have near to perfect German , muahaha :D
    Makes it fun sitting in an exam understanding every single word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭stepperupper

Feyy wrote:

Bet you're sh!t at English tho!... only snearing... I thought it was a reasonable paper. Tricky in parts but about the same standard as every other year i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭madnirvana

Feyy wrote:

i hate u:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Miko ist ein Therapiehund?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therapiehund

It was good stuff, hoping for an A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

I hated the first comprehension

Advertisement