Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ignition problem

Options
  • 15-06-2007 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

I have a problem. Lately the ignition cylindar on my corolla has been acting up and getting stuck. Usually a bit of fiddling with the key and the car would start. Now however the ignition wont turn at all. I cant bring on the accessory lights or anything but I can remove the steering lock. Any advice, havent tried it yet but would a drop of wd-40 do anything for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It may help. Have you tried moving the steering wheel whilst jiggling the key? Don't use too much force, you don't want the key to break in the lock. Failing that, you may need a new barrel. I'd call an automotive locksmith, ask them for advice. Are you anywhere near Dún Laoghaire? Brown Bros. are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Yeah moving the steering wheel doesnt help. Its not the steering lock thats on, the barrel is just wrecked. with 172000 miles on the clock and god knows how many starts, something was bound to go. As far as I know, to get the barrel out you need to be able to turn the key to "acc" and I cant get this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If it were my car, i'd spray WD40 in the keyhole, put a bit of wood against the ignition barrel and hit the wood a couple of moderate smacks with a hammer. If that didn't work, i'd call an automotive locksmith. You don't necessarily have to use them, they might just give you a bit of advice over the phone.

Bear in mind that the above is what i'd do, it's not gospel by any means. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Wife's friend has the same problem with her 99 Corolla - seems its not uncommon. Toyota quoted something like €400 to supply and fit (think it was €320 to supply only) - not 100% sure on that figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Seems to be a regular fault with Toyotas. Try the WD-40, but eventually it will pack in altogether - usually at the worst possible time. A good independent garage should be able to do it, but I'm not sure whether or not the immobiliser (if fitted) may be a main dealer job when it comes to recoding the new key - some independents can do this, others simply don't have the necessary equipment. It may be possible to order a new barrel to suit your existing key, but if it is then it's more likely to be a main dealer job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

One of the few known problems with Toyotas. Altho from what I've seen it's more often the actual key itself that's worn away.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

hey dont dis toyotas:D with the usage it got id expect any lock to go. My mate who is a mechanic was able to get the cylinder out, brought it to a locksmith and the locksmith was able to repair the barrell for 25 euro. Nice just have to fit it back on now.

Advertisement