Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming Question

Options
  • 15-06-2007 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

There is no swimming specific board, so am posting here as I know some of you are triathletes!!

So I want to do an olympic triathlon within the next 6-9 months....

I currently run about 4-5 days per week, and ran the Marathon last year, so running is not a problem
    I cycle to and from work (5 miles each day) so cycling is not a problem either (Obviously need to increase mileage)...

But I dont know how to swim PROPERLY. I have no fear of water and will quite easily go to the pool and can swim quite comfortably... once I am holding my breath. I can't get the breathing thing working for me no matter how much I try. I bought myself the supposed authority book on swimming... Total Emersion, and found it little help... guess I am not a learn-from-a-book type of person.

So my questions is, is there an easy way to get the breathing part of swimming right? Any secret drills or exercises? It seems to be the exhaling that I have a problem with. I come up to inhale, and find that eventhough I thought I had been breathing out, my lungs are still full.

All advice welcome, and moderators, feel free to move to another board if appropriate.

Thanks,
    Domer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would practise at the side of the pool not moving, take a breath in, not a huge one either, it is not a hold your breath contest, then slowly bubble it out underwater. You see beginners sticking the head up trying to take huge gulps of air in as though they are swimming into a cave or something, this is counterproductive IMO, look at swimmers on TV they are up and down all the time.

Also you have to start swimming in the sea, breathing in the sea with waves is far more difficult IME

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Domer, where do you swim? I'm happy to teach you the basic's if you're close ( I swim out of the TCD gym or westwood). Oh and don't worry about learning. I learned only 2 years ago. I did my first olympic distance triathlon after only 2 lessons!

Total Immersion works brilliantly for some people and not at all for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

rubadub has good advice. holding the side of the pool & kicking, exhale underwater and watch the bubbles. Then roll a bit & turn your head just a little to breathe in. Wash, rinse, repeat. Then try the same using a kickboard. It initially takes some concentration and you need to consciously breathe out. After a while it will seem natural. Your breathing should eventually develop a rhythm to match your stroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

That's a great offer from hunnymonster, and he/she didn't even mention cash. Besides knowing how to swim efficiently, a good swimmer will be able to observe.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Thanks for all the advice folks. And especially for the offer Honeymonster.

I will try out the advice before I go for the personal training approach.

Rubadub, you may hold the key to my success. Up to know I have been rolling to the side and taking the biggest breath possible, I guess I need to look at it more like running and breath normal breaths and not over exaggerate. I will try this out and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
    Domer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

One thing that I found helped my breathing was googles, being more able to see the surface of the water allowed me relax more, so if I missed a breath it wasn't such an issue.

kincsem wrote:
    That's a great offer from hunnymonster, and he/she didn't even mention cash. Besides knowing how to swim efficiently, a good swimmer will be able to observe.

Naw, no cash involved. I just think it's an important skill people should learn. I only learned to swim 2 years ago as I was not allowed learn as a child and just never got around to it as an adult. The offer only stands if the pupil can pitch up somewhere I'm going to be already so I can fit my own swim in around a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Domer wrote:
    There is no swimming specific board
    Domer

Maybe there should be a swimming specific board. I had a swimming related issue and had to post it in scuba diving of all places.

go to
    boards.ie>sys>forums
    and make the suggestion. If there is enough support it will happen.

Advertisement