Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test

Options
  • 15-06-2007 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

Just after "failing" my driving test.I didnt even get to start the engine!The NCT on the car was out of date and she wouldnt allow me to take the test even though i have proof that it is booked in :/ how lame is that? Before anybody says i should have booked in it earlier, ive been out of the country for 6weeks recently and as soon i got back home i applied for the NCT. I just think its so lame that she wouldnt take me out because of that.Even though yesterday i saw her let a guy who had no "L" plates up do his test.So now i have to go to the back of the que (approx 36 weeks) and pay for another test...meh...

Im just going to go over to America and do it there.Irish system sucks balls big time!Fools whoever voted for Bertie & co.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Be prepared next time, it's your own fault. Not the systems. You wont be waiting the full time in the queue. You'll be put on a list for first cancellation. After waiting 62 weeks for mine, I cancelled it and got it a week or two after the previous date.

Oh and I almost forgot, ha ha ha you failed your driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Them's the rules. If you get a licence in the US you won't be able to swap it for an Irish one when you come back, you'd still have to do the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

electric69 wrote:
    Just after "failing" my driving test.I didnt even get to start the engine!The NCT on the car was out of date and she wouldnt allow me to take the test even though i have proof that it is booked in :/ how lame is that? Before anybody says i should have booked in it earlier, ive been out of the country for 6weeks recently and as soon i got back home i applied for the NCT. I just think its so lame that she wouldnt take me out because of that.Even though yesterday i saw her let a guy who had no "L" plates up do his test.So now i have to go to the back of the que (approx 36 weeks) and pay for another test...meh...

Im just going to go over to America and do it there.Irish system sucks balls big time!Fools whoever voted for Bertie & co.
    Your car is not road worthy, just because it's booked in means nothing..

You're one of the reasons there's such a long waiting list, ever thought someone else could have made use of that time slot?

You can book an NCT online, why didn't you do that and get a friend/relative to bring it to the testing centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

Those damn rascals - intercepting the letter informing you of all the pre-requisites for sitting the test (such as valid insurance and NCT) and then sending you out of the country like that. Not to mention having the cheek to prevent you organising your NCT on time.

While I am by no means a fully paid up card carring member of the teflon taoiseach fan club, I'm not sure you can pin this one on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Just get an employer to write a letter for you saying you need the licence to work and you will be bumped up to the top of the queue and get taken if there is a cancellation.

It's insane even thinking of waiting that long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

LundiMardi wrote:
    You're one of the reasons there's such a long waiting list, ever thought someone else could have made use of that time slot?

You can book an NCT online, why didn't you do that and get a friend/relative to bring it to the testing centre?

Eh...im not one of the reasons there is such a long waiting list....ive waited for 42 weeks for my exam and i have taken approx 10 lessons just to make sure i had everything perfect for it.I asked my instructor would the car be ok if i had proof that i was booked in for a NCT and she said that it would be fine.She also asked another instructor that she knew and he also said that the car would be fine.
    There was someone else using the car when i was away and they were supposed to book it in.I was very busy when i was away so i was unable to.Thats not what im giving out about anyway.Just annoyed that she failed me because of that and she let some guy with no "L" plates drive away...even thought that is the most obvious thing that they look for. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Caliden wrote:
    Just get an employer to write a letter for you saying you need the licence to work and you will be bumped up to the top of the queue and get taken if there is a cancellation.

I'm afraid the employer letter doesn't really cut it these days. They need to actually RING them now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭GospelGroupie

LundiMardi wrote:
    I'm with LundiMardi on this one. It looks like you'll get no sympathy here. The NCT is not entirely just a beaurocratic exercise. It is a measure of the road-worthiness of the car.
    I wouldn't get into a car that doesn't have a valid NCT if I were obliged to travel in that vehicle as part of my work. It's all to do with health & safety in the workplace. The worker has a certain responsibility to judge the hazards and to avoid them. The NCT is as good an assessment of hazard or safety as anything.
    I don't blame the examiner.
    Be ready for the exam or cancel with fair notice.
    That's all.

Caliden wrote:

I dont work.
    Im going over to America for 2years pretty soon and i wanted it before i headed over.No NCT's over in America!I can make time inbetween my training in America to take their driving test.none of this irrivelent B.S like there is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Surely your gripe should be with the instructor who told you it would be fine.

• Advertisement

homah_7ft wrote:
    Surely your gripe should be with the instructor who told you it would be fine.

Hmm.....she did ask for a second opinion and she is a pretty experienced instructor so i cant really say too much to her.Just hope someone else doesnt make the same mistake.Its messed up my plans anyway because i needed to rent out a car when i got over there but i cant do that without a driving licence.
    I find it a bit ironic that i have a licence that its 100times more difficult to get but i cant get something as stupid as a licence to drive a car :confused::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Man, you have no one to blame but yourself, it's just common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

It should be your instructor you take the issue up with. Anyway I don't know why you didn't contact the centre direct to ask them. If the car isn't classified as road worthy then of course you wouldn't be able to use it for the test, I think that is just common sense.

Anyway it is a pity and you should be annoyed, at yourself more than anyone else I should think.......

Oh and what are you on about another licence for..... :confused: I have a television licence - that has nothing to do with my ability to be able to drive my car :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Fair enough but in my opinion she was acting as a paid adviser. Her advice was factually incorrect and you made a decision not to make sure you had the NCT cert first based on what she said. The government sent you a form saying what you needed to have for the test. You didn't have everything needed yet you blame the government and not the instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Why dont they just introduce a rule that says " that tests must be done in recognised instructors car?". That way it rules out problems like the NCT is out of date, No L plates, lights out of order and all those sort of problems. When I did my test I booked the instructors car for 2 hours, I did a lesson before the test and then did the test in the instructors car. I didn't have to worry about this been broken or out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Floppybits wrote:
    Why dont they just introduce a rule that says " that tests must be done in recognised instructors car?". That way it rules out problems like the NCT is out of date, No L plates, lights out of order and all those sort of problems. When I did my test I booked the instructors car for 2 hours, I did a lesson before the test and then did the test in the instructors car. I didn't have to worry about this been broken or out of date.

Or people who are in charge of a very fast and dangerous piece of machinery should be able to be at least responsible enough to make sure it meets the fairly simple and documented rules for taking the test.

Whos fault is it if you turn up to do your leaving without a pen/ruler/calculator etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

You are lucky we have a flawed driving system here, at least you can drive home after failing your driving test, how ironic is that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Floppybits wrote:
    Why dont they just introduce a rule that says " that tests must be done in recognised instructors car?"
    A person doing a category B test could wish to do it in an a car with automatic transmission. The instructor could not be expected to have different models available.

Mods - This should be in the Learning to Drive Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

electric69 wrote:
    Hmm.....she did ask for a second opinion and she is a pretty experienced instructor so i cant really say too much to her.Just hope someone else doesnt make the same mistake.

In fairness, If you have a full license and are pulled by the guards with no NCT cert. You are done for driving an un-worthy car. Don't see why it should be any different if you're driving and happen to be doing the test. It's common sense really.

electric69 wrote:
    Its messed up my plans anyway because i needed to rent out a car when i got over there but i cant do that without a driving licence.

So you were a cert (excuse the pun) to pass then?!

im not learning how to drive.Im giving out about the fact that i got failed for not having a valid NCT even though the car is booked in.The fact that, in my eyes, someone got away with a far bigger offence, makes it even worse :(

• Advertisement

He/she didn't fail the test. It just didn't procede.

Didnt even start the engine :/

DonJose wrote:
    you can drive home after failing your driving test, how ironic is that!!!
    He/she didn't fail the test. It didn't go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

She probably let the guy without L plates go because you need to take the L-plates off before an NCT test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

He/she didn't fail the test. It didn't go ahead.
    Failure by default?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

electric69 wrote:
    im not learning how to drive.Im giving out about the fact that i got failed for not having a valid NCT even though the car is booked in.The fact that, in my eyes, someone got away with a far bigger offence, makes it even worse :(

Being booked in, just like going for your driving test, is absolutely no guarentee its going to pass, so the fact it was booked in for th eNCT is irrelevant.

electric69 wrote:
    im not learning how to drive
    If you have a provisional license for the category of vehicle that you are driving, then you are classed as a "Learner" whether you like it or not.

electric69 wrote:
    someone got away with a far bigger offence, makes it even worse :(
    If the examiner had continued with the test then they would have committed an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

electric69 wrote:
    im not learning how to drive. Im giving out about the fact that i got failed for not having a valid NCT even though the car is booked in.The fact that, in my eyes, someone got away with a far bigger offence, makes it even worse :(
    That's up to the authority to decide and this time they deemed your car not safe to drive because it hadn't passed the necessary inspection.

Btw, how would voting for someone else than Bertie change this?

Caliden wrote:
    She probably let the guy without L plates go because you need to take the L-plates off before an NCT test.

No its completley against the rules to do the test without "L" plates...even if you are on a 2nd provisional

If the examiner had continued with the test then they would have committed an offence.

she didnt seem to mind when she took the guy with no "L" plates for his test

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

If its your car is your responsibility to make sure all is correct, all paper work etc are correct.
    Even if your NCT was done, would you still be complaining for failing over not being too observant, etc?

My uncle failed his test for being too courteous and he was one of the best drivers in the family.

So as elviscotello pointed out, how can you be certain you would pass?
    The instructor was covering themselves. What if you had an accident and it was later found that she knew that you had no current NCT. I would say she would be in hot water over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Not your concern. You should focus on your own situation.

Apply to do the test as Gaeilge and afaik the waiting time is really cut down.

Advertisement