Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

noisy computer

• 15-06-2007 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

theres an occasional strange noise from my desktop.
    its also acting a bit strange,running slow.
    it doesent happen all the time. ive run cleanup programs on it but no joy.
    its a soft grinding noise,lasting about a second then stops,about 4 times,then stops. any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Get on to these guy's, They sorted my PC and my friends, Great prices too.

ithelptoday@gmail.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

*cough* plug* cough* plug*plug*

it could just be your hdd's grinding through loads of info , run a disk defrag go to my computer > right click your local disk , usually c , then go to properties and tools and run disk defrag ...also are u using any ani virus programmes and how old is your pc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Could be the hard drive or the cpu fan might need cleaning out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

I got a brand new one in January in pcworld, it makes a noise when it is handling lots of files at once, it's probably the processor or hdd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

OP, if I were you I'd take off the case, turn on the computer and listen for the part that's causing the noise. When you find it, replace the part.

Back up files if it's the hard drive, and back them up quickly.

If it's a Power Supply fan, I'd leave the PC off until you can get a good replacement in a couple of days. €50-€60 odd.

It might just be a CD drive causing vibrations. Let us know what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

right click my computer --> manage --> event viewer --> system. check for any disk errors in here. if there are, your hard drive is about to fail.
    // assuming you are running windows!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Mine has a click, like someone cracking a very small knuckle, drives me mental trying to figure out what it is, I think it's heat expansion, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

BopNiblets wrote:
    Mine has a click, like someone cracking a very small knuckle, drives me mental trying to figure out what it is, I think it's heat expansion, lol.

Could be a dodgy psu, I'd really investigate that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

How, I wouldn't know where to start.

It's hard to hear and replicate and there's been no other problems, I have a backup one anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The Randomer

Yea, i had the same prob, the bearin in the fan was worn. Have been running my pc for the last 2 months without a cpu fan!!! lovely and quite. Hasnt blown up either yet!

• Advertisement
Advertisement