Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

B.Sc and teaching Junior cert science

• 15-06-2007 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody:)

Just a quick question about a Bsc.I intend doing a general science degree next year with the possibility of becoming a teacher afterwards...in fact that is the most likely outcome hopefully!My question is this.I don't particularly want to do biology,not even for just one year.I wouldn't mind teaching the material(and amount)that is covered at junior cert level,but studying it in college would not be my cup of teaand I didn't do it for the leaving cert.So even if I don't go near it at all during my time in college can I still teach junior science?After all I intend taking physics and chemistry, and biology is only one section of the science course.....
    Thanks in advance,
    Lemansky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

The short answer is yes, you can still teach junior cert science.
    What I would say though is that it might hurt your job applications in the future if your highest level of biology is your own junior cert.
    Also, given that biology is by far the most popular of the sciences at second level, it's no harm to have it in first year at least. It just makes you more employable.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Thanks for that John,I'll bear that in mind.I suppose I never really thought of it that way,even though I should have!I may drop experimental physics for biology,that way I will cover maths,chemistry,biology,and mathematical physics,so I'll be well rounded.Sure I still have ages to decide!
    Thanks again:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

No bother. Who knows, you might discover you like biology after all, or at least some area(s) of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

You can only live in hope!Sure the only reason I dodn't like biology was that the old junior cert science course wasn't that great and biology was just awful.So were physics and chemistry...I only chose them for the leaving because the teachers told us that they were totally different and much better at senior level-they admitted that the junior cert was crap!So maybe I will like biology as it turned out that I loved chemistry and physics!

Advertisement