Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jap imports

Options
  • 15-06-2007 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

I'm thinking of importing a used Japanese car into Ireland and completing all the VRT requirements myself, I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and had bad experiences and have any advise. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you still need to pay vat and excise duty and all that so it'll have to go through a handeling agent anyway and then you pay the VRT on it. It also takes about 9 - 10 weeks at least. I ordered my car in April and it'll be her in about 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

There is quite a lot of info about on this forum if you do some search's.

The site http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/

has a lot of info about japanese cars. i have found it very handy.

What type of car are you thinking about getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

steve06 wrote:
    you still need to pay vat and excise duty and all that so it'll have to go through a handeling agent anyway and then you pay the VRT on it. It also takes about 9 - 10 weeks at least. I ordered my car in April and it'll be her in about 2-3 weeks.

Do you know of any good handling agent as my friends car is coming in 1 week and he doesnt know of any efficient agent,thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

MCC in city center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ye I was going to suggest MCC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭georgie59

Son used mcc
    no probs very helpful
    handled everything and drove them round ot the different offices and docks etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Thanks i will find the contact details and forward them onto my friend.thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 23 roots

Has anyone any idea how much it will cost having the clearing agent working for you?
    Also how long does it take from the date the car arrives in the port until you'll be able to take it home? Do you have to pay the VRT within 24 hours from arrival in the state?
    Thanks everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

Thinking of getting either a Toyota Altezza (Lexus IS 200), mid 80s Toyota Levin, Toyota Supra non turbo, Nissan Silvia s15, maybe a skyline or a Mitsu FTO. Seems to be good valu on www.tradecarview.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

roots wrote:
    Has anyone any idea how much it will cost having the clearing agent working for you?
    Also how long does it take from the date the car arrives in the port until you'll be able to take it home? Do you have to pay the VRT within 24 hours from arrival in the state?
    Thanks everyone!

It should cost about 100-150 Euro for the clearing agent fees. You can take the car off the dock pretty much as soon as you've paid the clearing agent. It's adviseable to get it shifted as soon as possible as you will be charged for parking it on the docks.

You should pay the VRT as soon as feasible after collecting the car from the docks (legally you should do it within 24 hours or on the next working day).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 roots

thanks blastman

Advertisement