Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Drawin Honours Paper 2(Building app)

Options
  • 15-06-2007 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

What a mother****er

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

what the hell was with the perspective question. that has to be the hardest one that has ever come up. i spent an hour trying to get it out but i just couldn't get the roof section of it. The rest of the paper wasn't too bad, well i did roads mining roofs, the roof question was easy, the mining the same and the roads was nice, except for the part b) but i put somethin down for it so i probably got some of the marks for that part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shark-69

Did Q1,2,5,7....Reckon I got an A1 in paper1 but there was definitely no A1 in paper 2 for me.....Should've learned how to do roadmaps..The roadmap was meant to be easy....Got Q5 and 6 out...Cudn get Q2(d)...Spent about 15 mins trying to work it out but to no avail....Left Q1 till the end...Had an hour to do it and still cudn finish it....Wrong AVPs meant i cudn get ne of the top part out...What a bitch of a perspective..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Shark-69 wrote:
    ..Wrong AVPs meant i cudn get ne of the top part out..

Yeah, same problem, a friend who is really good at tech did that question twice and both times had somethin different. My AVP's just didn't work they kept on clashing with other points. ugh......maybe they'll mark that question easily though:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 sallyally

perspective was such a nightmare..started the paper wit it sent me into a panic..:confused::confused: had 2 stop went back 2 it..but still not great..i also done the mining question which was quiet nice..q6 was really nice..n da roads were grand..cept kinda confused wat were dey lukn 4 n da part b n c:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

What the **** was that ****!! well perspective was a tricky bitch... especially the top bit but i got an answer in the end... my thing ended up ontop of my S point and all the lines and there were just lines ****in everywhere!!!! i started it off wrong about 3 times, mixen up the curves and other stuff

Then the mining was ok , part a was fine and part b i got the height of S (i think there are 2 answers..) and tried to get the true angle but didn't really have a clue what i was at!!

The parabola thing with the glass circle on the roof was fine...

The roofing thing a and b and the traces in c but the rest of it was another guess

the vast majority of my class found it tough.. With all that bell curve crap they'll prob have to mark it quite easily... I'm really hoping for an A but prob got a B... Feck

• Advertisement

well one good thing

no more TG !!! :)

DtotheK wrote:
    well one good thing

no more TG !!! :)

I second that!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

id third if i wasnt doing engineering at 3rd level

What did you think of it???? ^^^

i plan to do engineering(electronic)...

It wont be the same tho...

i thought.

maybe in civil or something the roads question..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭madnirvana

man i cant believe i spent 1 hour doing Q1 and only managed to draw plan!!

ONLY PLAN..AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

rest of the paper dont in panic:mad: only done 3 qs:(

grgrgrrggrrggrrg a1 in paper 1..

probably b3- b2 in pap 2

hope to get atleast 80 pointsssssssssssssss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Did Q2 Q5 Q6 Q7.

Got in the test, first thing I see is that Perspective question and I was like "WTF?".

Q2 Very very nice question, nothing new all been seen before on previous papers.
    (Q2A ~137 degrees)

Q5 Ok question. A was piss tbh, dip,strike ... yadda-yadda. Part B a little more tricky, but not unexpected since this is alike last years question. Drew in R in elevation, drew in S and R in Plan, projected my auxiliary using the given strike information, stuck in R and then used the inclination to get the height of Point S. Not extremely difficult imo.
    (Q5A Strike N29W, Thickness 16.5m, Dip 50 degrees.)
    (Q5B Height of S: 92m, True angle: 31 degrees)

Q6 Ughh, the diagram is misleading - had the same reaction to this as I did Q1 - but wasn't actually that bad at all. Pentagonal construction stumped me for a while too. Part C very unusual, never seen anything like that before.
    (Q6A True angle: 62 degrees, Shortest distance: 14m [needed to multiply x2])

Q7 Map was easy! Straight line with bend at the beginning, all been seen before - plus it's easy. Reflex angled corner at C, needed to consider the end of either embankment matching up. Holy smokes, what's with a part B in a question 7? First time thats happened. Nevertheless, not too difficult - how did people show the graphical representation, did you use the same drawing or another one? I asked the supervisor for another drawing and did Part B on that.
    (Q7B 1 in 8.5 rising from B to C)

To summarize, those who did Q1 fared very badly. Thankfully I was able to steer clear of it. Definitely the worst reaction to a paper I've seen thus far, and I suspect a lot of people are going to be very angry. 2 people left the exam in tears, and one guy smashed his t-square against the wall after the exam.

DtotheK wrote:
    (snip) ...part a was fine and part b i got the height of S (i think there are 2 answers..) ...

Only one correct answer mate, since it said "dip ... in a general south-easterly direction".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 moggins

perspective...... eh got the bottom corner...
    hyperbolic roof got a an b perfect.
    mining think i only got a
    roads was grand up till part b, we didn cover it..
    for f*** sake....

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    and one guy smashed his t-square against the wall after the exam.

understandably...:mad:

EDIT the one answer thing... crap.

i only managed to do 3 qs..and no part bs :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: or cz:mad:

woww ..i def get where he was cumn frm..tech draw'n exams are da most frustratin of the lot

so piissssed off but so glad its over:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 moggins

madnirvana wrote:
    man i cant believe i spent 1 hour doing Q1 and only managed to draw plan!!

ONLY PLAN..AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

rest of the paper dont in panic:mad: only done 3 qs:(

grgrgrrggrrggrrg a1 in paper 1..

probably b3- b2 in pap 2

hope to get atleast 80 pointsssssssssssssss

oh yeah the plan.. took like 25-30 to bloody set up!!! why would they do a thing like that. it was really confusing...

I'm going to do out that Q1 now, will post it up later if anyones interested.

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    I'm going to do out that Q1 now, will post it up later if anyones interested.

hoe u can bring urself 2 do dat is beyond me..but plz go ahead..things can only get better ey

the more i look over the paper, and realise what stupid mistakes i made, and what things i couldn't do, but realise them now...

My god(which obviously doesn't exist.. i mean he's meant to love us right?? what was that paper about god?? you ass!!)

I'm getting more and more frustrated. i made some ridicolous mistakes. good bye A ..:(

• Advertisement

My god(which obviously doesn't exist.. i mean he's meant to love us right?? what was that paper about god?? you ass!!)

that is why you did bad

because i called him an ass??

or because he doesn't exist??

Surely he should forgive me and treat me as he'd want to be treated.. with an easy tg paper!!!

Maybe i'll try allah or buddah or someone else next time ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

I did Qs 4 5 6 and 7. Most questions were very different to those from previous years. Considering its the second last year of the subject I thought they would give an easy paper! :D
    What I did for the roads b part was I had my pink roads sheet taped to a large normal sheet and got an elevation of the road BC projected onto the large sheet. Put B 40m up and C 55m up and marked in lines every 5m and joined B and C. The points you get from there corrosponded with the points you get in the plan/original map if you split the road BC into 3 using the construction to split into equal parts. Think thats what they were looking for anyway.
    For the angle between the strike and line RS in mining, I put a line going through RS in elevation and dropped a line from S to the strike to form a triangle. Then got true lengths of all the sides of the triangle and constructed it over at the other side of the page for the true angle.

Just 2 things niggling away at me: Dip is 40 degrees in a south easterly direction... That means sloping down in a south easterly direction right? Its not sloping up in a south easterly direction, is it? DIp means slope and if you said something was sloping in a south easterly direction it could mean either.

And secondly: Do ye reckon there were marks for determaining the minimum point of the curve for the glazed area in elevation? Its not above the centre in plan before anyone says it. I could get the minimum point in the question a few years back which was like this but for the life of me I couldn't figure it out today. Was different in the way that the parabola was sloping into the curved part of the invisable cylinder instead of into the circular edge.

Feddd wrote:

Just 2 things niggling away at me: Dip is 40 degrees in a south easterly direction... That means sloping down in a south easterly direction right? Its not sloping up in a south easterly direction, is it? DIp means slope and if you said something was sloping in a south easterly direction it could mean either.

my class came to the conclusion that there was only one answer. i got the "wrong" one... but i doubt many marks are going for that particular part.
    I hope there are 2 answers!!
    Feddd wrote:
    And secondly: Do ye reckon there were marks for determaining the minimum point of the curve for the glazed area in elevation? Its not above the centre in plan before anyone says it. I could get the minimum point in the question a few years back which was like this but for the life of me I couldn't figure it out today. Was different in the way that the parabola was sloping into the curved part of the invisable cylinder instead of into the circular edge.

wouldn't say so... if so it'd prob be 4 marks

Hope not i found it the wrong way but it looked somewhat right... i hope there arent a huge amount goin for that part in general!!! i might aswell have not have done it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

I didn't think paper 2 was that bad... except for the perspective question... wtf?

I did question 7, 2, 6 and 1 in that order. Did perspective in that last 30 mins. Was everyone else's plan very big? Didn't get much of it done...

Q7 was fine apart from part (b), did it but never saw anything like it before.
    Q2 was nice except for part (d), other than that I think I got it perfect. Was quite easy I thought - had a smile on my face throughout that question.
    Q6 was ok too... what did everyone's (b) look like?

Overall I'm happy enough. I'd be pretty sure I passed. I'm hoping for a C of some sort. My liking for the subject has really fallen over the last year. My P1 was terrible in the mocks and did 3 questions in it. 3 Q's in P2 in mocks too and managed to get a comfortable pass. Got full marks in Q7 P2 in mocks.

Did all the questions this time on both papers and I though overall I did better than the mocks. But, somehow I don't think I'll be using TG in my best 6. If I get a C3 I hope I won't be using it in my best 6!!!

459854350a4693497940l.jpg

Thats what mine looked at.it's bad quality and messy but you get the idea...

(and ignore the leaves and "neon" stripes!):p

Was yours similar??

One of my friends was pointy instead of curvey, he got the same pts but joined them slightly differently but i'm pretty sure it's curvey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

DtotheK wrote:
    459854350a4693497940l.jpg

Was yours similar??

One of my friends was pointy instead of curvey, he got the same pts but joined them slightly differently but i'm pretty sure it's curvey.

Where it crosses AB it should stop in a point and not go on as a continous curve. Besides that I think it looks ok, can't really remmeber what mine looked like.

Took me a little under 50 minutes to do it, and I didn't bother with the curved portion at the top cause I'm going to sleep now.

The hidden detail in the 3D alone is enough to make someone cry. Disgraceful question, the solid is just too complicated for it to be a viable exam question to be done inside 38-42 minutes. Plan is over sized and without a proper ratio or proper sizings. I have no doubt that this question and its marking scheme will be heavily adjusted at the commission's conference.

Anyhow this is my elevated view, like I said without the upper part (which I will add tomorrow if I have time)

Feddd wrote:
    Where it crosses AB it should stop in a point and not go on as a continous curve.

Correct, plus at the far left side it should end at a point pointing upwards, not that little lumpy bit you have there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

DtotheK wrote:

Was yours similar??

Phew...! mine was similar to that alright - can't remember exactly, but not far off at least.

Advertisement