Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contacts Importer

Options
  • 15-06-2007 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Good Evening Boarders,

I have been working on my new website for a number of weeks now and it is based in the PhpFox Konsort package.

One thing that is bad about this website script is the fact that you can only "refer a friend" or invite a small number of people with email addresses. To be specific, maximum of 5 at a time. This makes users invites lengthly and they then give up without continuing. This is not good for the community website.

I have looked for scripts on the net, such as http://www.getmycontacts.com/ that can bulk import or invite users' friends from Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, etc., but without success of a free one. The website is for a charity and we can't be spending money on items like this.

I wonder, is there anyone who has a script they developed or wishes to share with my website. I will naturally give credit to the developer on the website, or if anybody has one of these professional scripts that they can supply (Thanks to a multiple license or whatever they can do) I would be most appreciative of their help.

Many Thanks,

Dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

have you got a link to look at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭David O'Keeffe

One to my internal website? eg. The Page I want to Put It on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Can I just ask ... my understanding of what you want to do is ...

Have your members sign into your website ... then be able to connect up to their gmail / hotmail / whatever email accounts and import all their contacts so they can invite them to join ? which would require them putting in their account for the other system ?

Or have I miss understood what you're trying to do ?

Could you not hack the code to allow more than 5 people to be invited to the system ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭David O'Keeffe

Basically, you may see on Bebo or similar social networking websites that you have the option to "Add Friends". Because of this feature, you can go to the invite page, and input your email address and email password- be it for Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo etc., and it will list out your address book.

Then, the user can select, by means of ticking the boxes corresponding with the friend's email address, who they want to send an Invite to, so that they can join your website.

A program, or shall I say a script, called "Get My Contacts" is available, but it costs in Dollars, but there is a free one out now I eventually found after hours of Internet searching but the Hotmail function does not work anymore because it's now Windows Live- somehow it does not function correctly.

I will include a picture of the type of thing I'm looking for, in case the idea is still a bit blurry. Just click the link. Apologies for the lengthy access to file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/37583782/userinvite.jpg.html

Advertisement