Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom home and vpn

Options
  • 15-06-2007 6:41pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭

can some (any) one confirm one way or the other if this is possible ??

if i take my home router and plug it into a business broadband line then i can connect from my laptop to the corporate vpn no hassle.

from home ( home pro package ) i cannot.

i have checked and double checked the router config , and my vpn client.

i have spent an hour and a half on to eircom who thought i wanted to buy a vpn from them at one stage.

please set my mind at ease.
    are the relevant ports blocked to home users ? if so , can anyone give me any theory as to how i might unblock them ???

Thanks so much

P.S. i am using a netgear dg834g router ( not the netopia rubbish)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

horgan_p wrote:

please set my mind at ease.
    are the relevant ports blocked to home users

I have no such problem. I have PPTP, L2TP and SSH type access from
    external sites.

The obvious first question is : How do you know the relevant ip?"
    Do you have a dynamic dns service?

It is fairly simple (when you know how).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

problem solved - i am losing the plot.
    seriously embarrassed turns out that nis on my laptop , which has a higher level on my home network than my clients networks , was blocking the packets.

i feel like a right dope.just woke up and came downstairs to get a look at the problem with fresh eyes , and it hit me like a bucket of cold water.

turned off NIS and all is now right with the world.

gentlemen , i thank you

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just a thought! Is it reasonable to expect eircom support or any other isp support to be helping people to set up vpn?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

horgan_p wrote:
    problem solved - i am losing the plot.

i feel like a right dope.just woke up and came downstairs to get a look at the problem with fresh eyes , and it hit me like a bucket of cold water.

That's often the way:) Ask the question and before the question is even posted the answer appears...

Advertisement