Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashel to Cahir N/M8 Opening date?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

jank wrote: »
    I take it the Cahir bypass is included in that piece that is open today/yesterday?

From what I could tell from the last time, the road is complete as far as the junction with the current N8 just north of the N8/N24 roundabout (north of Cahir) and you still use the old S2 bypass for avoiding Cahir (in the future the road will continue on as dual carriageway past Cahir). At the North end of the scheme, it continues seamlessly onto the Cashel bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

i read in the paper today (herald) that the cahir bypass is open and part of the new cashel bypass has opened, and the part around cahir is to motorway standard, which means it can be given the speed limit of 120kmh, but to start off it will prob have a limit of 100kmh,
    it is possible to have n roads having speed limits of 120kmh, the n2 ashbourne bypass road is mainly 120kmh, its a great road, sooooo smooth.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was on the "old" N8 section todat from New Inn to Cashel and twas dead!

I also took the new east-west Cahir bypass yesterday, bliss. Its dual carraigway for most of its lenght and should shave 20 mins off journeys at peak times. That said the smart knew of at least two alternatives in the old days. ;)

cahirbypass.jpg

cahirbypass2.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Isn't that 2+1?

• Advertisement

Starts 1 then becomes 2 when entering (if I recall correctely)

Mike.

icdg wrote: »
    The M9 is about the same lenght as the M11, but winning the prize for shortest motorway with an signposted number is the M6 at less than 2km long.

I came in this way (eastbound) this morning and looked out for the signs, if you come along the N6 the sign is "M4" before the Kinnegad junction, but if you join AT the Kinnegad Junction it's "M6" :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Yep. Both are acceptable ways to sign this strech! Its part of the N6 under motorway regulations, so it can be the M6. Properly it doesn't become the M4 until it merges with same, as the M4 proper begins on the Sligo route at J12.

On the otherhand a road whose only destination is another road can be signed with the number of that road, with or without brackets, so this strech could alternatively be signed as M4. The biggest example of this is the spur of the M1 that goes to the airport. Doesn't have a number of its owned but is also signed as the M1.

You'd think in this they'd sign it consistantly though. Add to that, the westbound carriageway is signed as N6 with green signs (even before you even hit the "end of motorway regulations" signs, which are in the correct place more-or-less).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

icdg wrote: »
    Yep. Both are acceptable ways to sign this strech! Its part of the N6 under motorway regulations, so it can be the M6. Properly it doesn't become the M4 until it merges with same, as the M4 proper begins on the Sligo route at J12.

On the otherhand a road whose only destination is another road can be signed with the number of that road, with or without brackets, so this strech could alternatively be signed as M4. The biggest example of this is the spur of the M1 that goes to the airport. Doesn't have a number of its owned but is also signed as the M1.

The official rule is complicated, so we can reasonably assume its a muckup instead of them following the correct way :D

Re Cahir bypass, I went on it again today and its actually a 2/1 - going east you have two lanes but west, just the one. Odd.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

mike65 wrote: »
    Re Cahir bypass, I went on it again today and its actually a 2/1 - going east you have two lanes but west, just the one. Odd.

Mike.

Mike, can you clarify, sorry I do travel this route every time I'm back in Ireland but I'm confused. Is that two lanes from Cahir > Cashel direction and 1 lane Cashel > Cahir direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

It's intended that all of the N24 will be upgraded to a 2+1 class route.

It's only the N8 that will be dual carriageway/motorway.

r3nu4l this is the east-west bypass on the N24, its two lanes if going from Tipp to Clonmel and one the other way.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ignore, responding to wrong post..

Advertisement