Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant

Options
  • 15-06-2007 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hi could the ISSF and other folks please explain in a dumbed down manner why irregular canting effects accuracy?

Veg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Well ... sometimes if I'm tired and drink a lot of coffee ..I shoot well..
    Other times... I can't :D

Seriously though .. It alters the relationship between your point of aim (where the scope is zeroed ) . and the point of impact. A zero is obtained with the rifle ands scope perfectly level ,the vertical axis of the scope follows the drop of the. bullet. If you tilt ..or cant ..the whole thing clockwise that is no longer true and slight deviations in velocity will cause the apparent point of impact to shift to the right.

If you are inconsistant in your cant , the next time you might tilt anti-clockwise and the shot in the same conditions might appear to be to the left of the aiming point. Level ..or consistant canting is important .. Level is easier for me to measure ..! ;)

Some experienced target shooters always shoot with a degree of cant , but that takes practice to perfect.

Here's a link to an article that might help some more .....

http://www.chuckhawks.com/canting.htm

And if you have macromedia flash player installed .... heres a really good visual demo ..

http://www.arld1.com/impactpointvscantangle.html

Actually the main site is a treasure and even though it mainly refers to airguns the principals are true for any firearm.
    Should really be a sticky ..."Hint"

Check it out ....

http://www.arld1.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I think consistancy is the most importand and if your more comfortable shooting like that why not i would advise having the scope level though as in keeping the cross hairs vertical/horiztional i think thats the most important thing after that consistancy is key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

jaycee wrote:
    Well ... sometimes if I'm tired and drink a lot of coffee ..I shoot well..
    Other times... I can't
    I thought it was about an old Derek and Clive routine. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

"This guy came up to me and he said....You can't " :D

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

In my younger days I was told canting the rifle was a no-no. Nonsense obviously, its about keeping the cant consistent as explained in the articles.

If you can't get your eye centred behind the rearsight you must cant the rifle towards your eye, not the opposite. Isn't it something to do with your head swaying, as your ears are at different levels and they try to self-correct all the time, causing the swaying motion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

here is what i understand it to be

i could be completly off thou

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

a degree of cant is okay at a fixed distance, at different ranges though the POI changes in the up and down and the left to right.
    Bryan

Advertisement