Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did eircom send me a new router?

Options
  • 15-06-2007 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I upgraded my 1Mb Eircom home starter (24.99) to 2Mb (29.99) over the phone. Great service being able to upgrade without sending in loads of paperwork as I expected to have to do. A lot more than I expected from Eircom.

But anyway, all is working fine and my router is showing my connection as 2048/256 (kbps). This morning the post van arrived with a new router, a netopia 2247NWG. Should I be using it or my original 3347NWG? Which is better, or is there any difference?

I have 3 laptops using the connection (not all at the same time) so Id rather not mess around with the current setup unless I have something to gain. I can’t see what tho. I guess I will just put the new one on the shelf in case the current one goes belly up.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I upgraded my 1Mb Eircom home starter (24.99) to 2Mb (29.99) over the phone. Great service being able to upgrade without sending in loads of paperwork as I expected to have to do. A lot more than I expected from Eircom.

But anyway, all is working fine and my router is showing my connection as 2048/256 (kbps). This morning the post van arrived with a new router, a netopia 2247NWG. Should I be using it or my original 3347NWG? Which is better, or is there any difference?

I have 3 laptops using the connection (not all at the same time) so Id rather not mess around with the current setup unless I have something to gain. I can’t see what tho. I guess I will just put the new one on the shelf in case the current one goes belly up.

Simple error methinks! The logical course would be to try the new router if you want - you can always go back to the older one.

On the other hand you can always help them with their cost cutting and send it back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

As Dub says it's an error. They only send out a replacement modem when you move from a 'timed' package to 'always on'.
    If you're current setup is working and you're happy with it then leave it be and keep the new one as a spare. There isn't a whole pile of difference between the 2 modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

As I thought, thanks guys. Great to have a spare :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

or sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Keep it as a spare. My old 3347 went after about 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Id buy it, but i dont think you can legally sell it can you? I assume its the standard silver modem they have, with the two antennae on the back, and the 4-port switch built in (I actually prefer their previous brick model they sold which would be your older one I suspect). That, and I dont need a new router unless the Netopia is actually better then the one I have at present, a Zyxel P660RU-T1.

You probably did receive the modem in error, its no harm to send it back. I still have an NTL MMDS box, I rang them and told them so they could take it back, they still have not bothered. Just dont count on Eircom actually picking it up from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Ok the EXACT same thing happened to me today! Last week we upgraded from 1mb eircom bb to the 2mb package and the difference kicked in overnight, very quick and no fuss. Today a package arrived with a brand new router inside. I currently have a netopia 3344nwg but the one today is a newer 2247. My question is: is there any point in installing the new one(is it better)?
    Can I have 2 routers running in the same house, ie can I connect the new router to a different filter of the other side of the house to get better wifi coverage?
    Also if I install the new one with the existing pc and filter will I have to re-install the software and will there be a new wep key?
    Thanks in advance.

Do you think eircom are doing this on purpose? People who were on the 1mb package had the netopia 3347nwg which had issues connecting to things like the nintendo ds, are they replacing this model to stop people ringing up tech support?
    Also, the new model we got today has 2 aerials vs the one aerial on the old one, does this mean the wifi signal coverage will be better? If it is I will definitely change to the new one as I like to use the laptop in the garden and the signal goes weak quickly once out of the house.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

rc28 wrote:
    Do you think eircom are doing this on purpose? People who were on the 1mb package had the netopia 3347nwg which had issues connecting to things like the nintendo ds, are they replacing this model to stop people ringing up tech support?
    Also, the new model we got today has 2 aerials vs the one aerial on the old one, does this mean the wifi signal coverage will be better? If it is I will definitely change to the new one as I like to use the laptop in the garden and the signal goes weak quickly once out of the house.

Oh the paranoia:rolleyes: Eircom obviously have a blip in their upgrade system which is confusing new orders with upgrades. Your suggestion is a very costly way for Eircom to stop people dialing support.

They have sent you a router by mistake - play with it in whatever way you want - if it is better than your current one leave it in your system.

You cannot have two routers attached to your phone circuit they will negate each other.

You should have no software to install to use the new one if you are just using the ethernet connection - however I would strongly recommend that you go into the router http://192.168.1.254 and change the security from wep to wpa more secure and easier to use.

dub45 wrote:
    Oh the paranoia:rolleyes
    Lol! Thanks. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement