Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Physics Pop Quiz

• 15-06-2007 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hardly an original idea, but the exam is on Monday, and if it helps...

Give three factors affecting the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

distance between plates
    permittivity of the medium between them
    area of plates

three leptons and one property common to all leptons

or

one contribution made by nicholas callan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭microbiek

permitivity and distance and dielectric?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

nedward wrote:
    Give three factors affecting the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor.
    Distance between the plates
    Area of plates
    Material that the plates are made of

State Newtons 2nd law

too slow damn haha and wrong!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Area of overlap of the plates.
    Distance between the plates.
    Permittivity of the medium between them.(dielectric)

At B the sound intensity of a source is double the intensity at A. What is the difference in the sound intensity level between A and B?

• Advertisement

3db

distinguish between tranverse an longitudinal waves

Tranverse Waves oscilate perpendicular to the plane of their direction.
    Longditudal Waves oscilate parallell to the plane of their direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

tomelowe wrote:
    three leptons and one property common to all leptons
    The electron, the negative muon and the negative tau.
    All leptons are fundamental particles, ie they cannot be broken down into smaller particles.

define the ampere

1 A = current in 2 infinitely long conductors with negligible cross section 1 m apart that put a force of 2*10^-7 N on each other in a vacuum.

Explain how a depletion layer is formed in a PN Junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Holes move from P->N, and an equal number of electrons form N->P, or some such. Right?

Why is Coulomb's Law an example of an inverse square law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Because the resultant force is proportional to the square of the distance between the point charges.....

Describe an experiment to find the critical angle of a medium.

state keplers 3rd law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

microbiek wrote:
    state keplers 3rd law

Not on the syllabus
    Why is Coulomb's Law an example of an inverse square law?

Force is proprtion to 1 over the square of the distance (I'm translating from irish to english so apologies for the poor wording.)

critical angle of a solid medium

put block of medium on a white piece of paper. place two pins at an angle to the medium and look through from the other side of the medium. find the line on which the further pin is hidden behind the nearer and insert two pins on that line

trace around the medium, and find the tangents at the point of contact of the medium and the rays (if the medium is irregularly shaped)

draw normals perpendicular to these tangents

draw the lines which the pins are on, and connect the points at which they meet the medium. find the angles of incidence and refraction using a protractor. Find Sin(i)/Sin(r). this is the refractive index n. the inverse sin of 1/n is the critical angle C.

Why does a metal covered by a piece of ordinary glass not emit electrons when incident photons are above the threshold frequency?

(i actually dont know that one)

Tomlowe wrote:
    critical angle of a solid medium

put block of medium on a white piece of paper. place two pins at an angle to the medium and look through from the other side of the medium. find the line on which the further pin is hidden behind the nearer and insert two pins on that line

trace around the medium, and find the tangents at the point of contact of the medium and the rays (if the medium is irregularly shaped)

draw normals perpendicular to these tangents

draw the lines which the pins are on, and connect the points at which they meet the medium. find the angles of incidence and refraction using a protractor. Find Sin(i)/Sin(r). this is the refractive index n. the inverse sin of 1/n is the critical angle C.

Why does a metal covered by a piece of ordinary glass not emit electrons when incident photons are above the threshold frequency?

(i actually dont know that one)

Ordinary glass doesnt transmit UV rays so the work function of the metal would not be overcome by the energy of the incident photon...

Btw, with the critical angle experiment make sure the medium is a hemisphere, not a block, because otherwise the light will never be able to enter the normally and be bent properly.

medium doesnt have anything to do with the shape of it... refractive index for a square block of glass is the same as a circular, cubic, elliptoidical, whatever block of the same glass

do we not get a question from you?

I'll start again. Derive F=QVB

That's on the syllabus isn't it?

Tomlowe wrote:
    medium doesnt have anything to do with the shape of it... refractive index for a square block of glass is the same as a circular, cubic, elliptoidical, whatever block of the same glass

do we not get a question from you?

Im talking about critical angle, a special specified activity on the syllabus though. Not the refractive index question... oh ya, em...

State the laws of electromagnetic induction.

Faraday - The electromotive force is proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux linkage

lenz - The induced emf acts in such a way as to oppose the action inducing it.

Im pretty sure the derivation of bvq isnt on the syllabus, at least i hope it isnt...

Define Power.

• Advertisement

Work done over time.

Oh and derive s=ut +at^2/2

Tomlowe wrote:
    Faraday - The electromotive force is proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux linkage

lenz - The induced emf acts in such a way as to oppose the action inducing it.

Im pretty sure the derivation of bvq isnt on the syllabus, at least i hope it isnt...

Define Power.

Work done per unit time... bnqv derivation is on the syllabus, its very easy though...

take a current carrying conductor of lenght L in a magnetic field of flux density B...

I = nq/t and v = d/t (where v linear speed of charges)
    v = L/t
    L = vt

F = BIL
    F = B (nq/t)(vt)
    therefore, F = Bnqv....
    for one charge, n = 1

F = Bnqv.

Derive the 3 accelerated linear motion equations.

carlowboy wrote:
    Work done over time.

Oh and derive s=ut +at^2/2

v = u + at
    ds/dt = u + at
    Integral ds = Integral u +at dt
    s = ut + at^2/2 + c
    when t = 0, s = 0, therefore c = 0..

therefore s = ut + 1/2 (at^2)

Derive the other 2.

s = Integral(v)dt
    v = Integral(a)dt

Integral(a)dt
    = at + c
    = v (acceleration is taken to be a constant)

let t=0 => c=u since u is initial velocity

Integral(v)dt
    =Integral(at + u)dt
    =1/2at^2 + ut + c

let t=0
    =>c=0 as initial displacement is zero

therefore
    s = ut + 1/2at^2

damn, i hate my life

carlowboy wrote:
    I'll start again. Derive F=QVB

That's on the syllabus isn't it?
    Yes, but the derviation in the book is ridiculous.

In a conductor with charge, q, flowing with speed v ina magnetic field with flux density B:
    F = BIl
    I = q/t
    l = vt
    F = Bqvt/t
    F = qvB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

eZe^ wrote:
    Btw, with the critical angle experiment make sure the medium is a hemisphere, not a block, because otherwise the light will never be able to enter the normally and be bent properly.
    <annoying pedant>actually, it is still possible, it's just a major pain to set up.</annoying pedant>
    of course, that is totally irrelevant and in an exam (or anywhere else) it is definitely a good idea to use the 'ole hemispherical block.

cocoa wrote:
    <annoying pedant>actually, it is still possible, it's just a major pain to set up.</annoying pedant>
    of course, that is totally irrelevant and in an exam (or anywhere else) it is definitely a good idea to use the 'ole hemispherical block.

Could you explain to me how? Because I was arguing with my physics teacher that there definitely must be another way, and he was saying that other shapes would mean it can only enter normally one way, therefore you would have to have loads of different shapes to find the critical angle. I lost the argument! :D

eZe^ wrote:
    v = u + at
    ds/dt = u + at
    Integral ds = Integral u +at dt
    s = ut + at^2/2 + c
    when t = 0, s = 0, therefore c = 0..

therefore s = ut + 1/2 (at^2)

Derive the other 2.

a= rate of change of velocity so
    a v/t-u/t
    at=v-u
    v=u +at

v= u +at
    square both sides
    v^2= u^2 +2uat+(at)^2
    .....= u^2 +2a(ut +at^2/2)
    v^2= u^2 +2as

Is mine too simplistic?

• Advertisement

I presume you just measure the angle differently? Like, the angle you shine the ray at the block at would not be C, but you could get C from that...

EDIT: Or actually, yeah, could you not just mark where the ray enters and make sure the incident ray hits a point under which you've already marked and connect em, then get C like that?

Advertisement