Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sensational Sherri Passes Away

• 15-06-2007 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

This is a bit of a shock. From the Wrestling Observer:
    Sherri Russell aka Sensational Sherri Martel passed away, this morning, at home. She was 49.

No other details are available at the moment. Police are currently as her residence with her husband.

In 1991, while managing Randy Savage, Sherri was the only woman ever to win the Manager of the Year award.

I was watching some matches the other day that she was involved in, she was great. She seemed like such a sound and happy person too, especially when she was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame

RIP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

no way?! Thats awful :(

RIP I guess... Its so sad watching performers you grew up with pass away. And she seemed so well adjusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lita Forever

Oh my God! That's terrible news. I can't think of much to say much now as I'm in shock. She was a great wrestler, manager, and performer in general.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Very, very sad news.

Wrestling is weird in that so many people I used to watch as a kid have died but when I hear the news that another has passed away, it still shocks me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

RIP, was watching her with Shawn Michaels (v Tito Santana in Wrestlemania 8) a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Thats very sad news. A real shock. RIP

Seems JR has a piece up on WWE.com about her death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

R.I.P.

Terrible news i remember her as HBK's manager, she sang Shawn's entrance music, before he sang it himself.

P.S. Pity it isn't more prominent on WWE.com, unlike Vince's "death" taking up all the top half of the page.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lw

As a kid in the 80's she scared the s**t out of me !
    Its amazing how many wrestlers/former wrestlers have died yet it still comes as a shock when someone else passes away

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Very sad news!! R.I.P

Bit from WWE.com:
    "Sensational" Sherri passes away
    By Corey Clayton
    Written: June 15, 2007

WWE is saddened to learn of the death of WWE Hall of Famer “Sensational” Sherri. She was 49.

In the early 1980s, Sherri began her career in the AWA. In 1985, she defeated Candi Devine to become the AWA Women’s Champion. Their rivalry lasted more than a year with the championship trading hands on several occasions.

It was during this time that she began perfecting her skills as a manager, leading “Playboy” Buddy Rose and “Pretty Boy” Doug Somers to the AWA Tag Team Championship. On June 28, 1986, Martel would win the AWA Women’s Championship for a third and final time from Candi Devine.

On July 24, 1987, “Sensational” Sherri debuted in WWE, pinning her trainer and mentor the Fabulous Moolah to become Women’s Champion. Sherri defended the gold against Debbie Combs, Velvet McIntyre, and Desiree Peterson.

She quickly earned the reputation as someone who would do anything to win, even if it meant using unsavory tactics. Her rivalry with Moolah continued as they became the captains for the first-ever female Survivor Series teams in 1989. Sherri held the championship for 15 months before losing to Rockin’ Robin.

In the early ‘90s WWE phased out the Women’s Division, leaving Sherri to focus on managing the male wrestlers. Her first client was “Macho Man” Randy Savage. It was during this time that she became “Sensation Queen.”

The couple had rivals with Miss Elizabeth, Hulk Hogan, Dusty Rhodes and Sapphire. In 1991, “The Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase enlisted her services. After that relationship dissolved, she took on the managerial duties of Shawn Michaels.

In 1994, Sherri appeared in WCW as “Sensuous” Sherri managing Ric Flair during his rivalries with Sting and Hulk Hogan. After separating from Flair, she became “Sister” Sherri guiding Harlem Heat to seven WCW Tag Team Championships.

Sherri was enshrined in the WWE Hall of Fame in 2006. “Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase was her presenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Ah thats terrible news.I myself was watching WM8 the other day and watched her with shawn michaels.Although I dont know an awful lot about her I do remember seing her here and there in AWA dvd's.She certainly paved the way for female managers in wrestling.
    Pity she died at only the age of 49.Im glad that she lived to see herself inducted into the HOF for her mark on wrestling.
    We are just halfway through 07 and already so many wrestlers have died.I just hope that we don't hear any more news about yet another wrestler dying young too soon:( :(:(

RIP sensational sherri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

RIP

A real shame that she was taken away so soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Truly sad news.

R.I.P Sherri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sh*t this a big shock. Very sad that she died that young. I'm glad she was able to at least make the Hall of Fame before she died.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

RIP Sherri.

She was great back in the day, always entertaining. Her HOF acceptance speech was hilarious too.

Another one bites the dust, 2007 has been a rotten year for this type of thing so far.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

49 is just too f*cking young to die, and i too was only watching her the day before on the AWA DVD. :(
    RIP Sherri Martel

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Very sad news.
    I recently watched SummerSlam 92, Sherri's stipulation that Shawn and Martel couldn't hit eachother in the face was great. Then she passed out when they started punching eachother. Great stuff!
    RIP Sherri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Just an update on this:
    On his Wrestling Observer Live radio show Sunday night, Dave Meltzer stated that Sherri Martel didn't die of natural causes. According to Meltzer, "This was not a typical wrestler's death," "Not a suicide," and "She did not die of natural causes." The case is currently under investigation by law enforcement. Police were in abundance at Martel's mother's residence in Birmingham, Alabama where the WWE Hall of Famer was found dead Friday morning, according to her husband of 10 years, Robert Schrull. Meltzer knows more about the situation at hand, but he didn't want to specifically say anything until he has more information on the case. Meltzer plans on talking to the police later today to gather more information regarding her sudden death.

When Martel passed away on Friday, there were a number of people in WWE who were downright embarrassed by the way her death was placed far down on the company's website, under all of the reports of Vince McMahon's "demise." It has led to discussions internally about ending the angle, but in the end, the storyline will likely continue.

Aw ****, given the above statement, does anyone else smell murder? :(
    VR!

Not gonna speculate but whatever it is, it's gonna make the news of her death a sadder occassion, more so than it already is :(

Still can't see the storyline being dropped though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

From the Tuscaloosa newspaper, [url]www.tuscaloosanews.com:[/url]

Sherri Schrull died quietly at her mother’s house on Friday afternoon. But “Sensational Sherri," as professional wrestling fans knew her, lived loudly.

Considered one of the first ladies of wrestling, Sherri Martel, 49, was a WWE Hall of Famer, and an AWA and WWF championship titleholder.

Her husband found her dead at her mother’s home in the McCalla community on the Tuscaloosa-Jefferson County line Friday afternoon, said Capt. Loyd Baker, commander of the Tuscaloosa County Metro Homicide Unit.

Baker said foul play is not suspected.

“The cause of death is pending her autopsy and toxicology report," he said Monday.

She had gone to bed because she wasn’t feeling well, Baker said, and her husband later found her unresponsive at 12:45 p.m. at the home on Eastern Valley Road, where she had been living for the past year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

First of all i never saw Sensational Sherri Martel wrestle at all.

But 49 is a young age to die at, nowadays. So one is wondering......

You know these old women ( former wrestlers) that are on wwe shows ever so often !!!!!, well the one think strikes me every time is how these women are really really out of shape. They do not have the natural old woman shape. So i wonder is the same reason she died the same reason Eddy died. I am wondering cause, Eddy was on the road, working, stressed, when is the last time Sherri was on the road.

Was Sherri on tv in the past year.

Years ago if i saw a womans wrestling match i never watched. I only started watching womens wrestling since the divas came into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭emoKILLER

rip

triple h wrote:
    First of all i never saw Sensational Sherri Martel wrestle at all..

She wrestled on a few WWE PPVs and a lot of her matches can be found on the best of WWF Coliseum compilations. Noted PPVs are the womens match at the 87 Survivor Series and the mixed tag match at Wrestlemania VI. The latter doesn't do her justice at all.

She also wrestled at one of the AWA Superclashes. Can't remember which one though.

VR!

Source: PWInsider
    She was found dead in her home on June 15th. New details have been released regarding her cause of death. The Associated Press has issued the following statement regarding the results of Sherri Martel's autopsy:

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) - Tuscaloosa homicide investigators say WWE Hall of Famer Sherri Martel had multiple drugs in her system when she died, including a high amount of oxycodone.

A homicide spokesperson said her June death in McCalla was ruled an accident.

Martel, who was 49, was inducted into the World Wrestling Entertainment Hall of Fame last year and won championship titles in the American Wrestling Association and World Wrestling Federation.

At the time of her death, Captain Loyd Baker of the Tuscaloosa County Metro Homicide Unit had said foul play isn't suspected, but that Martel didn't die of natural causes.

Accidental overdose, pretty similar to what happened with Liz a few years back.

Bad pattern for Savage Valet's, wonder if Gorgeous George is next?
    VR!

Advertisement