Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will my dog still be cautious around me?

Options
  • 15-06-2007 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hope everyone is keepin well out there
    im over here in boston for 6 months work placement, and will not be returning to Ireland at any stage during the 6 months,
    Im wondering whether my dog will remember me or not. more to the point, will she remember 'the incident with the pole', let me explain, about a year ago myself and herself were playing out the back garden, when she struck the clothes line head-on. she thought it was me that hit her, she didnt realise she hit a pole at all. her site is very poor, and ever since this incident she has been very cautious around me, although she was coming around a little bit, before i left, she never completely relaxed when in my company.
    Im wondering if shell have completely forgotten about the incident by the time i return?
    thanks for the help
    ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

A friend of mine had a dog that went missing. I think it was six years later she was on the top of a bus when she saw the dog with some kids.

The dog gave her a huge reck, and she reclaimed it, though the kids tried to insist it had been theirs all along. (Myself, I would have tried to work out some visits for them, but she was impatient with any such idea!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

luckat wrote:
    A friend of mine had a dog that went missing. I think it was six years later she was on the top of a bus when she saw the dog with some kids.

The dog gave her a huge reck, and she reclaimed it, though the kids tried to insist it had been theirs all along. (Myself, I would have tried to work out some visits for them, but she was impatient with any such idea!)

Your friend was lucky. OT but this is the law re such situations:

Section 13(1)© of the 1986 Act allows a person to keep a dog provided they:-
    Give a notice to the local Gardaí or dog warden containing the following information-
    I) A description of the dog,
    ii) A statement as to where the dog was found,
    iii) the dog's new address.

If the person who is a licenced owner of the dog comes to claim him the finder/other person must give him back. However if the finder retains possession of the dog for a period of one year or more, the finder can become the new owner of the dog, the previous owner's title becomes extinguished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

I'm sure your dog will be pleased to see you. Just make friends with her over again, make a big fuss of her when you come back, offer little titbits and be gentle, let her come to you and take it slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

I'm a little confused as to how the dog coud run into a pole and then think you hit her?? Surely she at least saw the pole afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

she didn't see the pole at all, i put flower pots around the pole straight after the incident, so maybe she thinks there is no pole and that these flower pots are new additions, randomly placed in the middle of the garden, i just dont know!

Leeby wrote:
    I'm a little confused as to how the dog coud run into a pole and then think you hit her?? Surely she at least saw the pole afterwards?

• Advertisement
Advertisement