Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good cpu fan for overclocking

Options
  • 15-06-2007 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm running the standard fan with the qx6700 and I have an Asus Striker extreme mobo. I'm wondering what is the best fan for overclocking apart from the big ones like the thermal...120 extreme as it weighs like 900 grammes and can easily break the mobo when i move the pc around quite often.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Zalman (Zalman nbf47 below) are always good :)

zalman_nbf47.jpg

This one in particular or the equivalent would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭cianc1

Hal1 wrote:
    Zalman (Zalman nbf47 below) are always good :)

zalman_nbf47.jpg

This one in particular or the equivalent would be fine.

Thanks, but will that be good enough to keep a quad core processor cool at over 3.5ghz?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

cianc1 wrote:
    I'm running the standard fan with the qx6700 and I have an Asus Striker extreme mobo. I'm wondering what is the best fan for overclocking apart from the big ones like the thermal...120 extreme as it weighs like 900 grammes and can easily break the mobo when i move the pc around quite often.

Do you enjoy long trips in the countryside in a van at high speed?

If not, it will be fine....

P.s LOL! That is a chipset heatsink! and wouldnct cool a Quad core CPU at an clockspeed ;)

cianc1 wrote:
    Thanks, but will that be good enough to keep a quad core processor cool at over 3.5ghz?

Wait...that is a northbridge chipset cooler...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

this one maybe?

sure it cant be that heavy

IMG_0844.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Opps! wtf why I posted that Idk lol, drinkage atm, err but zalman are very good coolers if its an air cooling solution your seeking.

conzymaher wrote:
    Do you enjoy long trips in the countryside in a van at high speed?

If not, it will be fine....

P.s LOL! That is a chipset heatsink! and wouldnct cool a Quad core CPU at an clockspeed ;)

"Do you enjoy long trips in the countryside in a van at high speed?"
    Technically yes. :) i'll be moving it around 2 houses from time to time.

So the thermalright 120 etreme is ok?
    I don't want to break the mobo

papu wrote:
    this one maybe?

sure it cant be that heavy

IMG_0844.jpg

I'd say 12 grammes at most :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

looking around the internets , its actually never happened that a cpu cooler has broken Or bent a mobo , its possible but unles you dropped it ( then your mobo is the least of your worries) so yes , go for which ever you want , when ur travelling just keep the pc horizontal :P

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

cianc1 wrote:

Heh it will be fine :) If you want you could Tie Wrap / Cable Tie one of the heatpipes to the case to stop it moving, or stuff the case with paper....

And lie it down so it cant fall over :p

• Advertisement

conzymaher wrote:
    Heh it will be fine :) If you want you could Tie Wrap / Cable Tie one of the heatpipes to the case to stop it moving, or stuff the case with paper....

And lie it down so it cant fall over :p

Stuff the case with paper...nice :rolleyes:
    Ya i'll probably cable tie it to the top.
    thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

the extreme is pricey unless you plan some MAJOR overclocking. Go with a Tuniq or even an arctic freezer pro.

I just installed a thermalright and yes it is heavy, 750g, stands high off the mobo so there is a pretty large cantilever force. The backing plate helps, but i wudnt travel around with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    the extreme is pricey unless you plan some MAJOR overclocking. Go with a Tuniq or even an arctic freezer pro.

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz
    Op wrote:
    is the cooler good enough to hold a qx6700 at >3.5GHz?

tbh, you shouldnt have any problems like papu said.. really no cases of mobo's breaking due to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Well according to this test of CPU coolers, the Tuniq Tower is no longer the no. 1

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=8757

Well, the new LGA775 retention clip on the Extreme is not entirely secure and does allow for some movement of the cooler. It is very easy to rotate and does tend to "wobble" a bit when I move my case. All I'm saying is its not something I would move around too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

cianc1 wrote:

I moved my pc from wales to dublin in a car. And it has a Tuniq tower on it which weighs 768g. No harm done at all.

DirkVoodoo wrote:

I just installed a thermalright and yes it is heavy, 750g, stands high off the mobo so there is a pretty large cantilever force. The backing plate helps, but i wudnt travel around with it.

Yeah, I feel the same about travelling, but I need to move around with it.
    Hopefully cable ties will work.
    I wants to really overclock it :D

Well. there aint no better air cooler for it then! I would suggest lookin around tho, if you buy it off OCUK as a single item it works out as £48 + £13 shipping, if you don't have a decent 120mm fan, then a scythe klfex brings the total cost up to £77 or €113!!!

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Well. there aint no better air cooler for it then! I would suggest lookin around tho, if you buy it off OCUK as a single item it works out as £48 + £13 shipping, if you don't have a decent 120mm fan, then a scythe klfex brings the total cost up to £77 or €113!!!

at that price would it be better off to get this:
    Thermaltake 745

• Advertisement
Advertisement