Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie to Broadband...can you help me

Options
  • 15-06-2007 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Complete newbie to broadband and i need some help and pointers if you can

Signed up to Eircom Broadband 1 month ago, modem and bits and pieces delivered last week

Tried to install, no luck , rang eircom, told me i would have to wait 1-2 weeks for me to be switched on at the exchange ... is this normal and what does it mean ?

When i have everything connected up .... the DSL light on the modem flashes permanently ..whats the story there ?

Wireless light on modem on permanently .... ? good or bad

I bought a USB wireless adaptor (Belkin Wireless G usb Network Adaptor) ,it installed fine last week...now i keep getting a couple of error messages such as "the USB adaptor needs to be inserted into a lower powered USB socket ...i have tried every USB port available on the computer.
    Another error message " usb software has malfunctioned please remove and retry

What do i need to do folks ? Surely not buy another USB adaptor,i only bought this one last friday

Sorry for so many questions but pulling my hair out of this stage, was fairly sure all i would have to do is take it all out of the box, bit of set up and away we go

Thanks and please go easy on this broadband novice

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

flash = work not done in exchange, constant dsl light = signal

wait !

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Should normally only take 10 days after you place your order to enable you for DSL at the exchange. Do you know what exchange you are on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

cheers mate, thanks for the reply

Grommet wrote:
    Should normally only take 10 days after you place your order to enable you for DSL at the exchange. Do you know what exchange you are on?

Havnt a clue to be honest, i am based on the outskirts of drogheda in louth, a neighbour up the road had his ordered and installed in no time at all compared to me, i ordered the thing 1 month ago tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

You should have been given a date of connection. Contact Eircom, give them your order no and ask them when you will be connected. It normally takes up to ten days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

andrew1977 wrote:
    Havnt a clue to be honest, i am based on the outskirts of drogheda in louth, a neighbour up the road had his ordered and installed in no time at all compared to me, i ordered the thing 1 month ago tomorrow
    Enter your number into the line checker here and it will tell you what exchange you're connected to.
    www.smarttelecom.ie/broadband
    Thats an unusually long time for a BB order to be completed. Make sure you have everything connected correctly and just in case you have a faulty filter, plug the modem directly into the phone socket without a filter.
    The wireless light on all the time is fine and it will flash when the wireless connection is active. The DSL light should be on solid and the internet light will be green and also flashes with activity.
    You'll need to do the initial wireless setup via ethernet cable (yellow) because the wireless security on the modem is on by default.

Finally, 3 words, Belkin is crap. Dump it for something else like Dlink, Netgear or Linksys. It'll break your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

kaizersoze wrote:
    Enter your number into the line checker here and it will tell you what exchange you're connected to.
    Thats an unusually long time for a BB order to be completed. Make sure you have everything connected correctly and just in case you have a faulty filter, plug the modem directly into the phone socket without a filter.
    The wireless light on all the time is fine and it will flash when the wireless connection is active. The DSL light should be on solid and the internet light will be green and also flashes with activity.
    You'll need to do the initial wireless setup via ethernet cable (yellow) because the wireless security on the modem is on by default.

Finally, 3 words, Belkin is crap. Dump it for something else like Dlink, Netgear or Linksys. It'll break your heart.

Hi, I have a Belkin and it wrecks my head sometimes. Other times its fine. But when it doesn't want to work it just wont. I have the added "bonus" of having chorus BB aswell. So sometimes i dont know if its the wireless or chorus

What have been your problems with Belkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've had problem with belkin stuff too. Random problems like overheating, and disconnects from poor defaults in their non standard configuration and managment software. Their stuff is aimed at the consumer but it baffles even experienced IT people, because it non standard software. They tried to make their stuff more user friendly but achieved the exact opposite IMO.

I'm with kaizersoze. "Dump it for something else like Dlink, Netgear or Linksys. It'll break your heart."

yayamark wrote:
    Hi, I have a Belkin and it wrecks my head sometimes. Other times its fine. But when it doesn't want to work it just wont. I have the added "bonus" of having chorus BB aswell. So sometimes i dont know if its the wireless or chorus

What have been your problems with Belkin.
    Dear Lord. Belkin AND Chorus.:eek: Sorry for your troubles.:p

It's not just Belkin wireless gear it's all Belkin stuff. I deal with computer gear all the time and I'd safely say that I have never came accross a piece of Belkin hardware that didn't have some annoying glitch or bug or just didn't work at all. Now I know people will say that they have a Belkin this, that or the other and never had a problem but that's not been my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Also, If you have a skybox unplug it from the phone jack. My skybox was prevent the DSL modem I had from sinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Belkin have FOUR different USB WiFi dongles with SAME case and Model number. They need different drivers of course. Some don't even work on Linux.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Also, If you have a skybox unplug it from the phone jack. My skybox was prevent the DSL modem I had from sinking.

They will be giving out skyboxes instead of life belts next!:)

Ok folks i am back again for more help

Got a replacement line filter from Eircom in the post today, DSL light not flashing any more and connected to broadband using the ethernet cable stuck into the modem and my laptop

This Belkin Wireless G USB Network adaptor is causing me serious hassle now.
    Installed it using the cd that came with it , says it worked and "found new software"
    No light on in the adaptor and when i try to click on the belkin icon on my computer it tells me "please connect usb adaptor "" ..but it is connected.
    No icon in the right tray down the bottom of the computer
    Sometimes i get an error message ,saying to put the USB adaptor into another USB port .
    Another error message is "product malfunction, if problem persists ,replace "

Whats my options here folks or am i snookered ? Do i just ditch the Belkin adaptor and buy something else
    If it has malfunction as it says on screen, can i bring it back to PC world and ask for a replacement or exchange plus cash for a better USB adaptor

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers

Put yourself out of your misery and bring it back. They will probably look for a receipt though:(

dub45 wrote:
    Put yourself out of your misery and bring it back. They will probably look for a receipt though:(

Cheers dub45 , i think i will take your advice, over 2 hours wasted this evening with it,
    Would you belive i have the receipt tucked away safely ,pc world here i come in the morning

Will they test it for a problem or just take it back ?

Anyone recommend a decent wireless adaptar to buy in pc world ?

Appreciate your help

andrew1977 wrote:
    Cheers dub45 , i think i will take your advice, over 2 hours wasted this evening with it,
    Would you belive i have the receipt tucked away safely ,pc world here i come in the morning

Will they test it for a problem or just take it back ?

Anyone recommend a decent wireless adaptar to buy in pc world ?

Appreciate your help
    Read my post above for brand recomendations.
    If you read it first you'd have saved yourself 2 hours of misery.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Argos also have some at reasonable prices for high st. Online is cheaper.

kaizersoze wrote:

Kaisersoze, i took you up on one of your recommendations and went back to PC world with my piece of crap Belkin,
    They replaced it no problem and i bought a D-Link Air Plus Wireless Access Through Usb 2.0 Adpatar ...good choice ?

Can anyone guide my through the rest of the process now what i have to do, install the d-link software to my machine and then what ..

Thanks again...i will get there eventually:D

Ok installed the D-Link wireless adapter, broadband popped on in seconds (belkin ...never ever again )

Broadband working fine on the pc, i cant get the laptop to pick up the wireless connection ? , it is wireless enabled because i use it for working around the office in work .

Any ideas how i can get my laptop to pick up the wireless so i can move round the house instead of a huge cable .

Also what security settings or any other important set up do i have to do ?

Thanks to all for their opinions ... nearly there now

Right click on the wireless network icon in the system tray (bottom right hand corner beside the clock) and select 'View available Wireless Networks' from the menu. Select your network and click the connect button at the bottom. If it asks for a network key, type it in.
    If your neighbours have a wireless network there may be more than 1 on the list but yours will have the strongest signal. It should connect automatically everytime after that.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote:
    Right click on the wireless network icon in the system tray (bottom right hand corner beside the clock) and select 'View available Wireless Networks' from the menu. Select your network and click the connect button at the bottom. If it asks for a network key, type it in.
    If your neighbours have a wireless network there may be more than 1 on the list but yours will have the strongest signal. It should connect automatically everytime after that.

hi kaizersoze
    i done as you say ,clicked on newtork icon, view all available networks, nothing appears, hit refresh still nothing ?
    Its an IBM thinkpad laptop, one of my mates i called said perhaps the eircom modem aint compatible...
    whats my options ?

so far kaizersoze you have been a lifesaver..many thanks

Compatability shouldn't be an issue unless the laptop is ancient.
    Check and make sure you have wireless turned on/enabled on the laptop. There may be a little on/off switch somewhere around the side of the laptop.
    Some laptops it can be turned on/off by pressing a series of keys on the keyboard. On my Dell it's done by holding down the 'Fn' key and pressing the 'F2' key (it has a picture of an ariel with waves on it) at the same time.

Also check if IBM have wireless software installed. This would control the wireless networks instead of the built in windows software. I'm assuming you're running XP.

andrew1977 wrote:
    hi kaizersoze
    i done as you say ,clicked on newtork icon, view all available networks, nothing appears, hit refresh still nothing ?
    Its an IBM thinkpad laptop, one of my mates i called said perhaps the eircom modem aint compatible...
    whats my options ?

so far kaizersoze you have been a lifesaver..many thanks

Have you confirmed that the wireless is enabled in the netopia router? It usually is by default. Anyways it would be a good idea to have a look so via your pc type http://192.168.1.254 that will get you into the set up menu of the netopia.

On your left you will see various options one of these will cover the wireless options - cant remember which but it should not be hard to find. While you are in the wireless menu change the security option to wpa (wep is weak and fiddly) you will be asked to set up a password - do this - also change the name of the network the default will be eircomxxxxx - save the changes and exit. Then if the laptop wireless card is working properly when you scan you should find your newly named network click on it to join and you will be asked for your freshly set up password.

And your mate is talking rubbish there is not question of the netopia not being compatible with your laptop.

dub45 wrote:
    Have you confirmed that the wireless is enabled in the netopia router? It usually is by default. Anyways it would be a good idea to have a look so via your pc type http://192.168.1.254 that will get you into the set up menu of the netopia.
    I would assume it is seeing as he connected to the modem with his new D-Link adapter. In any case there's wireless light on the front of the Netopia to show it's status.

kaizersoze wrote:
    I would assume it is seeing as he connected to the modem with his new D-Link adapter. In any case there's wireless light on the front of the Netopia to show it's status.

He says the broadband popped up but he doesn't say anywhere (I dont think anyways) that he connected to the router - he cant see it to connect can he?

very strange!

Gents back again
    I got the wirless icon switched on on the laptop, the eircom connect popped up on screen saying found wirless connection in range

When i hover over the wireless option down near the clock on the laptop ,i have the following :

Speed : 54.0 MbPS
    Signal Strength Excellent

Wont budge any further and cant get onto the next via the wireless on the laptop,

What do i do from here ? Lads i defo off ye a couple of cyberspace pints if i crack this !!

Have you manually assigned an IP (network) address for the wireless network you connect to at work? If yes and it's in a different IP range than the Netopia then the Netopia won't be able to assign it's own IP address.
    Dub45 wrote:
    He says the broadband popped up but he doesn't say anywhere (I dont think anyways) that he connected to the router - he cant see it to connect can he?

very strange!
    From what I gather so far, the D-link adapter is installed on his desktop and now connects to the internet wirelessly via the Eircom modem. He's now trying to get his laptop, with built in wireless, to connect to the same router.

Can you confirm this is your setup Andrew?

kaizersoze wrote:
    Have you manually assigned an IP (network) address for the wireless network you connect to at work? If yes and it's in a different IP range than the Netopia then the Netopia won't be able to assign it's own IP address.

From what I gather so far, the D-link adapter is installed on his desktop and now connects to the internet wirelessly via the Eircom modem. He's now trying to get his laptop, with built in wireless, to connect to the same router.

Can you confirm this is your setup Andrew?

Good Man kaizersoze, yes you are correct, this is the current state of play with me, d-link adaptare wirelessly connecting the pc, now trying to get the laptop connected to the wireless connection .
    What the instructions for the manual assign of an IP address ?

Thanks again

Advertisement