Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics leak

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Those experiements were predicted :( No shocking news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭óbriain1988

Scan up the article and be nice!
    :D

i've no scanner sorry! although i DO have a fair grasp of what MIGHT come up now ;) nah sure surely someone has a scanner and today's echo?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Nehpets wrote:
    Those experiements were predicted :( No shocking news!

Yea likely were going to get some different paper now

Suppose should be good, probably similar to bygone years.

TBH if this has been leaked its going to be changed. Its simply not fair on everyone else ;)

Still like someone to upload the article perhaps pm it to me?

Wouldnt like to fall behind the crowd like! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

&#243 wrote: »
    i've no scanner sorry! although i DO have a fair grasp of what MIGHT come up now ;) nah sure surely someone has a scanner and today's echo?
    I'm going to bed now, but I have a fully functional scanner, and it'll go up first thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 capslocked

That teacher is a f***n cowboy - hes f****d up the likely physics experiments for everyone just to get his five minutes of fame in the LOCAL echo - f proportional to a was supposed to be a gimme this year - in the words of cork langers everywhere - like what the f*** like

• Advertisement

Well to be honest, if people get wind of this and the likes, then expect the paper to be changed.

My parents tell me that back yonder, you had to sit the paper again if it was found it had been leaked:eek: :(

Might give me more time though!!

Scan up the article and be nice!
    :D

we might be ok weather check, like i don't think they could just change it so soon like... and there'd be uproar for the sake of it if dates had to change... also there's the whole transportation costs of SECURELY getting the new ones out... further payment of the supervisors.... it's just too much like.. especially considering he didn't say the actual questions like... just what to look over... so maybe marked a bit harder? SEC and echo might try to keep it on the sly as well... who knows like, it's all speculation like... there's only one thing for certain - there's a Cork physics teacher in hot butter now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

well at least the replacement paper will almost certainly have a particle physics q

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

How did he screw it up? It's too late to print 6,000 papers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

adam_ccfc wrote:
    I'm going to bed now, but I have a fully functional scanner, and it'll go up first thing.

Thanks mate.

And yea, it would be a very difficult situation to tackle, it will be brushed under carpet alright but for how long.

I havent seen the article so he may not of said too much anyway. I am sure many teachers who have helped to write programs have been on radio shows and the likes and that this is only different as he actually let it slip.

mp3guy wrote:
    How did he screw it up? It's too late to print 6,000 papers now.
    exactly... i don't think there's replacement papers in the centres like.... they couldn't have 3 types for each exam, it's unrealistic and things like this almost never happen...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

&#243 wrote: »
    he also made the point that the options aren't necessarily required to come up in a question... not sure what to make of that one...

that's quite interesting- my teacher has been telling us for most of the year not to get too concerned about the options, because they're due to leave them out of the exam very soon, more than likely this year. I think that just made this leak thing a bit more credible to me anyway. Somehow I doubt those papers will be changed now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

yeah i doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Didn't they have spares to change to back when that bus crash happened though? Someone get that article up!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

eZe^ wrote:

Thats true though, apparently that Ernie O Hara guy from Bruce still has a big say in the chem/phys papers.

I'm a Bruce physics student and that is true. Its not him who leaked it, is it? Havn't read it myself yet. Doubt he would do that though.

Why are more people not going "OMG, NO PARTICLE PHYSICS??!?". I would die on the spot if it didn't come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

So what have we learned? F = MA !! Wowsers...never gona be the most difficult of Q's. Nething else? No particle physics? People have been saying that all week and u cant prepare for a question that isnt coming up?;)

Hence, ergo, therfore...were wasting precious study time talking about this rif raf which some ace reporter got the scoop on out in the big town!:eek:

Go read some books!!

obl wrote:
    Didn't they have spares to change to back when that bus crash happened though? Someone get that article up!!!

no, they didn't change it at all! what happened was that the ordinary level junior cert english paper that year had an essay title "a trip on the school bus" or something, which caused a bit of an uproar, and that was with far more notice than just 3 days before the exam, as is the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Just like to say..

SO glad I dropped physics..

Enjoy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

Okay just a few things:

1) No one person sets the exams, be it LC or JC, it just doesn't work like that. Also no one person has any more influnce on the exam then anyone else. Even if they teach in bruce :rolleyes: .

2) Teachers do send sample questions into the SEC, which may or may not make it onto the final paper, either partly or entirely. It does vary on the subject however. There are ten if not hundreds of submissions by teachers in LC Biology, fewer in things like Tech Graph. The SEC sets the questions ultimately. Whether or not they use anything any teacher sets is their call.

3) There are no alternative exam papers waiting in that big metal box in the halls just in case. Thats pure fantasy. If for no other reason then no one wants to pay for them.

4) If, and thats a big if, the board choose to alter the paper in any way, and if the leak is accurate, the most likely thing to happen is that an alternative questions or two will be distributed to the exams halls, either by email, fax or otherwise and either be photocopied on site for students, or projected/written down for students to see.

5) This one teacher has NOT seen the paper, and is assuming at best.

And just so you know f=ma is a safe bet most years anyway.

now if he was an examiner/advising examiner you might believe him a little more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

hoolio wrote:
    Okay just a few things:

1) No one person sets the exams, be it LC or JC, it just doesn't work like that. Also no one person has any more influnce on the exam then anyone else. Even if they teach in bruce :rolleyes: .

2) Teachers do send sample questions into the SEC, which may or may not make it onto the final paper, either partly or entirely. It does vary on the subject however. There are ten if not hundreds of submissions by teachers in LC Biology, fewer in things like Tech Graph. The SEC sets the questions ultimately. Whether or not they use anything any teacher sets is their call.

3) There are no alternative exam papers waiting in that big metal box in the halls just in case. Thats pure fantasy. If for no other reason then no one wants to pay for them.

4) If, and thats a big if, the board choose to alter the paper in any way, and if the leak is accurate, the most likely thing to happen is that an alternative questions or two will be distributed to the exams halls, either by email, fax or otherwise and either be photocopied on site for students, or projected/written down for students to see.

5) This one teacher has NOT seen the paper, and is assuming at best.

And just so you know f=ma is a safe bet most years anyway.

now if he was an examiner/advising examiner you might believe him a little more.

Thats all true. He said even at the start that his paper may not even be the one. At most they may have taken one of his questions or something so nothing to worry about folks! Particle physics will indeed come up!

On a slightly unrelated topic: Doesn't Hugh Macmanis set the whole Honours maths paper by himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Did anyone year about the guy in Blackrock this year who supposedly stole one of the LC papers?
    I don't know if it's true but they say he was caught before it got out so the exam can still go ahead.
    Maybe it was BS however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

the teacher is bull ****ing, its illegal to say anything like that if it is his paper, and if someone called to his house, then he would be fairly sure, the education act 1998 means he would be interfering with the integrity of the exams

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

hoolio wrote:
    Okay just a few things:

QFT
    The advising examiners and examiners know nothing about the papers until the day of the exam.

Any teacher at all in the country can send in 'sample' questions - it is encouraged as the SEC want as big an input from as wide a group as possible.
    The only person who knows for sure what is on any paper is the appropriate assessment manager in the SEC.

The SEC is entirely seperately staffed from the DES.

The SEC often gets work done by teachers (working in all sorts of schools, private, voluntary secondaries and State-owned) and they all have to sign a confidentiality clause and give details of any book or work interests that might cause a conflict.

If this person referred to is an actual drafter or setter, he won't be ever again. Seems a silly error to make - childish almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Can some1 just scan the article and post it please so we can all see what were talkin about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

karmabass wrote:
    Just like to say..

SO glad I dropped physics..

Enjoy ;)

Just like to say..

**** you..

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

So like to say I do phys/chem. So much easier. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Yarr-Harr, EDIT, QUICKLY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Oic :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

Whats goin on! Im really worried bou physics and now ye're jus makin me more worried :( Is there an article/is there not? and if there is will someone please scan it up! Please!!

where exactly is this article in yesterday's echo? I have it and there's absolutely no sign of it, so I'm assuming this was all a load of spoof in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Foirfe

Ya it seems that way alri sur look why did your man yarharr or wateva edit like god have we anything beta to be doin like

Advertisement