Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling for year and excise duty on return?

Options
  • 16-06-2007 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi,

I´ve been travelling for the year and will be returning home shortly. I have bought a number of expensive items during the year and will probably be returning them by post instead of carrying them with me. I will be insuring them for full value.

I´ve been warned that the items could be hit by customs duty, even though some of the items were bought prior to leaving for the year. From reading the revenue site the charges will be over a 1000 euro!

My questions are these;

Is there a time limit for how long an item can be liable for duty? i.e If I bought something in Oz in January and then decide to send it home 9 months later, will it be charged as a ´new´item?

For items I bought in eu, will I get hit with duty unless I can provide receipts? The items are likely to arrive up to a month before I do so is there a way of delaying the payment until I can get the receipts together?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

TutuKaka wrote:
    Is there a time limit for how long an item can be liable for duty? i.e If I bought something in Oz in January and then decide to send it home 9 months later, will it be charged as a ´new´item?
    They will go on the value you declare on the package unless they think it is unreasonble. Hence if you declare it at new price then yes, they will charge you at new price.
    For items I bought in eu, will I get hit with duty unless I can provide receipts? The items are likely to arrive up to a month before I do so is there a way of delaying the payment until I can get the receipts together?
    The items will simply not be delivered until you arrive and pay for them but depending on service they may be returned after X days due to no one picking it up (An post is what, 14 days? DHL I have held packages for over 2 months for me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

afaik if you have been abroad for a year, and its personal possessions you are bringing back, then no vat or duty is due. Different if you are bringing back multiples of an item and intend to sell on.

You mark the box "personal possession" and if they have any query you just show you have been away for 12 months. - E-mail revenue, they are very quick at returning mails and should put you at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

I thought there was a 6 month limit on new purchases for excise charges.

ISTR hearing about people working in the USA buying stuff (cookers, fridges, furniture, etc), waiting 6 months then sending it home with nothing to pay.

As long as you have the receipt with the original purchase date you should be OK. Items purchased in the EU = no charge.*

May not apply to all items, but something 9 months old is not new.

Can anybody confirm this?

* Don't think there are time limits on alcohol & tobacco, don't think that's what the OP means.

Advertisement