Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Naas Road Sphere Thingy

• 16-06-2007 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

You know that big sphere with the road markings on it on the Naas road in Dublin.

Is it just a monument kinda thing or is there anything inside it??

Someone told me its a time capsule but I have my doubts :rolleyes:

Comments

It's there to make you think, "what's that!"
    The answer is 42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its Gods lost golfball, he hit a slice with a 3 wood, should have used a 7 with fade.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

They just had bit of road left over when they finished and rolled it up into a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's called Perpetual Motion. And if I remember correctly, there is a time capsule in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I'll try find the link, I had it a while back but there was a news article about this. Apparently they put a fertalised embryo inside this ball, which is actually a giant womb and lifesupport system, In the hope that in 30 years time when it opens, there will be a man inside. The idea is to see what a man with out society is like to gain a deeper understanding of where our sense of morality comes from. They also want to see the effects on man of never having been exposed to lige before. So the answer to your question is that it's a scientific experiment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Earthhorse wrote:
    They just had bit of road left over when they finished and rolled it up into a ball.

Thought Gods golfball was good but that one was even better!!

I know every one of us on this thread would love to push that down the naas road and see the destruction :D

Next time someone is driving by, pull over run up and knock on the thing.. maybe the experimental man inside will turn out to be a girl and be uber hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

It could be like one of those hamster balls except with a person/mutant inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Binomate wrote:
    I'll try find the link, I had it a while back but there was a news article about this. Apparently they put a fertalised embryo inside this ball, which is actually a giant womb and lifesupport system, In the hope that in 30 years time when it opens, there will be a man inside. The idea is to see what a man with out society is like to gain a deeper understanding of where our sense of morality comes from. They also want to see the effects on man of never having been exposed to lige before. So the answer to your question is that it's a scientific experiment.

Is this to stop culchies loving up their sisters?

:p
    kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Back in 1983 the Jolly Green Giant was bored 'cause there were no other giants to play with so he rolled up the road and started a one man football team using various toll booths as goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

BuffyBot wrote:
    It's called Perpetual Motion. And if I remember correctly, there is a time capsule in it.

Yeah, pity the M7 couldn't be called the same with the roadwaorks exactly there where the ball is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moving to Regional forum... Dublin City, right?

Karoma wrote:
    Moving to Regional forum... Dublin City, right?

Its not in Dublin.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

Saruman wrote:
    Thought Gods golfball was good but that one was even better!!
    no way! rolled up bit of road FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Of course Naas is Dublin. When you're living in the West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

KdjaCL wrote:
    Its not in Dublin.
    Gotcha. Naas is more Dublin Suburbs than City...right? Thank you. Phew!

Karoma wrote:
    Gotcha. Naas is more Dublin Suburbs than City...right? Thank you. Phew!

Naas is County Kildare :confused: And none of the above are in Dublin :confused:

map of ireland

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I think he's winding you up!

zuutroy wrote:
    He succeeded!!

zuutroy wrote:

methinks he winding up people who live in those places.

edit ahh yeah RP

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

KdjaCL wrote:
    Naas is County Kildare :confused: And none of the above are in Dublin [/URL]

kdjac

Come on! Kildare is in Dublin. Everyone knows that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

There's plenty of people in Naas who think they're just severe southsiders! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I used to love seeing that ball as a kid... coming back from the country after a long car journey you'd see that ball and know you were nearly home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Jello wrote:
    I used to love seeing that ball as a kid... coming back from the country after a long car journey you'd see that ball and know you were nearly home :)
    I was the opposite, coming into Dublin, seeing that ball and knowing I was nearly in the city, then there is the Braun Factory, and Bewleys Hotel or something along that route as well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Braun Factory ..

Thats in Carlow, you were still a long way from hom passing that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

zuutroy wrote:
    Thats in Carlow, you were still a long way from hom passing that!
    Well yes, but its on the Waterford-Dublin route, and as I passed it, I knew I was nearly there, well, halfways I suppose, I normally bus it to Dublin, cheaper and less hassle then taking the car. I dont know my way around dublin, and dont have time to deal with dublin drivers either. Still, its a landmark that tells me I am on the right route :D (Heaven knows signposts are pretty awful these days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Binomate wrote:

Imagine the disappointment if it turned out to be a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

mike65 wrote:
    Its Gods lost golfball, he hit a slice with a 3 wood, should have used a 7 with fade.

Mike.

Where is the green then? I've seen the tee just off the M50 at Finglas :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It's a new uber posh self contained apartment block for midget students. It's designed to blend into the environs as we all know midget students are environmently friendly, (something to do with a smaller carbon footprint)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Slow coach wrote:
    Come on! Kildare is in Dublin. Everyone knows that.

Meh, Kildare is within the Pale so Dublin=Kildare imo.

People outside Dublin don't use "the Pale" at all but it seems to very common among Dubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Ive heard several times that there was a guy trapped inside the concrete ball for days. Apparently he fell in while painting it or something like that. Anyone else remember that?

micmclo wrote:
    Meh, Kildare is within the Pale so Dublin=Kildare imo.

People outside Dublin don't use "the Pale" at all but it seems to very common among Dubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale

Only parts of Kildare were inside the pale IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Ay Cee wrote:
    Only parts of Kildare were inside the pale IIRC
    wanabe dubs i tell ye

That's Naas for ye :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

.....and remember as the sign said, Naas a nice place to shop.

False advertising! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Yeah, it's round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭decdoc

darkman2 wrote:
    Ive heard several times that there was a guy trapped inside the concrete ball for days. Apparently he fell in while painting it or something like that. Anyone else remember that?

If I remember rightly it was a guy who was walking home from the night club in Kill at the time, who decided he wanted to have a look inside (the sphere was nearly complete at the time, only one quarter sphere section left to go on the top) he got in alright but couldn't get out! he was stuck in there for ages until the fire brigade turned up

Advertisement