Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you consider as high points?

Options
  • 16-06-2007 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Not the points you're aiming for, but the points you consider to be a moderately high number.I'd consider anything above 400 to be high, with 300-370 being average, an anything sub-300 being poor (obviously points above like 450 are considered to be very high).So what do you consider to be high/decent points?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I consider anything below 300 to be a poor result. Anything above 400 would be a good result.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For someone wishing to go directly to University or college, I suppose less than 300 would be a disappointment and over 400 'good'.
    Of course for some people, 4-5 Cs or Ds at Ordinary Level is a fantastic achievement. It depends where you are starting from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Well, 360 is 6 HL C3s, however, the average grade in LC subjects is not a C3, I'd say it's more like a B3. 6 B3s = 450

I'd class 400-500 as average and above 500 high, personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

spurious wrote:
    For someone wishing to go directly to University or college, I suppose less than 300 would be a disappointment and over 400 'good'.
    Of course for some people, 4-5 Cs or Ds at Ordinary Level is a fantastic achievement. It depends where you are starting from.

If someone gets 500+ I'm impressed. But then again, I don't really judge people on the points they got. It's very easy to tell if someone is intelligent whne you first meet them and I go by this instead of points. There's someone in my class who'll get about 300 but who's the wisest person I know (under the age of 50).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

Before this year I thought getting 500 or so wouldn't be too hard, but when you actually check it out it's really hard.

What i mean is, 6 89percent exams will 'only' get you 540points. That means you pretty much know everything, but you won't get nera 600!

I hope i can get 500, but I only need like 380 for Arts so I'm sorted either way...

(I probably just jinxed myself to 200points)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Personaly I think anything above 500 is high. And anything above say 530 is extraordinarily high :)

300 is average. But it doesn't mean you're stupid if you get low points... As spurious said for some people passing everything is all they want :) And conversely if you want to do medicine then 560 is crap :)

JC 2k3 6 B3s might be 450 but most people I know don't even take six honours subjects, and to get a B3 in one would be fantastic. I mean the majority of people take pass Irish and Maths...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

300 is average

so obviously most ppl here failed maths

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

I very much doubt the average grade in a leaving cert subject is a B3. If it is, then you can't assume that everyone will be average in their subjects (getting a B3) and hence obtain 450 points. I would hazard a guess that 450 points is way above average.

As for what I consider, it depends on the person, if you achieve what you want or above it you've every reason to be as delighted as someone who got 600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

I would consider 500+ as high points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The average points are 300-350, that's where the majority of people end up.

I would class 450+ as high.personally. 400-450 as really good though..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

in my opinion

600 quite high!
    500+ high
    400-500 good
    300-400 average
    0-300 not great...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

500-550 is high points; 550+ is extraordinarily high.

For me, a fairly mediocre score would be 450.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Splinkk

I'c consider above 450 high.
    Then above 500 as super high.
    Spose it really depends where youre coming from, Id say if you went to a grind school and forked out 6 grand for it and came out with 450, you wouldnt be too pleased.
    I wouldnt anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd actually be quite surprised that in 5/6 years time your employers would actually give a ****e what leaving cert results you got. I'd imagine a 2.1 would be a much better weapon to have in the armoury.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Well, 360 is 6 HL C3s, however, the average grade in LC subjects is not a C3, I'd say it's more like a B3. 6 B3s = 450

I'd class 400-500 as average and above 500 high, personally.
    Not 100% of students sit 6 HL subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭euwwy deuwwy

I'm just waiting for some unexpecting fool to come along with a comment on the lines of '500 points or less is ****' and then everyone's going to go crazy, and abuse will be trown all ova the shop like that 'not a happy bunny' thread. :D:D:D
    JC 3K2, do you want to add anything?? ;)

Not 100% of students sit 6 HL subjects.

Oh, my bad, it might have already started!:rolleyes:

Ha, nah, that 1234444 guy is banned, otherwise he'd be straight in here saying that..

kisaragi wrote:
    JC 2k3 6 B3s might be 450 but most people I know don't even take six honours subjects, and to get a B3 in one would be fantastic. I mean the majority of people take pass Irish and Maths...
    I don't know many people not taking 6 honours subjects.. Those who I know who aren't are particularly weak students....

And I rarely hear of many people getting lower than 400 in the LC....

Is my situation strange somehow?

Yes, that's a bit skewed. Here over 400 is really good, 340 is super-common and over 500 is amazing..

• Advertisement

I'm just waiting for some unexpecting fool to come along with a comment on the lines of '500 points or less is ****' and then everyone's going to go crazy, and abuse will be trown all ova the shop like that 'not a happy bunny' thread. :D:D:D
    JC 3K2, do you want to add anything?? ;)
    Lol, here's the double standards again.

You wouldn't have any problem with someone having low standards as to what they consider high points, but if someone has high standards then they're an arrogant fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 memberofpublic

200 - 300: "That's good, were you happy?"
    300 - 400: "Well done"
    400 - 500: "Great, well done"
    500 - 550: "Brilliant"
    550 - 600: :eek:

How is 'This isn't an emotional support forum....' anything to do with high standards? I would have to consider it foolish and unnessesary to say something like that on a forum about dissapointment regarding an exam, well unless you enjoy pissing people off.

How is 'This isn't an emotional support forum....' anything to do with high standards? I would have to consider it foolish and unnessesary to say something like that on a forum about dissapointment regarding an exam, well unless you enjoy pissing people off.
    That's a completely unrelated thread.

I made the double standards point on another thread where people were slating me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I consider high points to be a person getting what they are capable of getting. So if someone who is rubbish at Maths gets a C in pass Maths then I see that as an achievement for them. Whereas someone who is good at Maths and gets a B in honours Maths has achieved nothing special.

Its all relative. 300 points may be fantastic for someonew who is not acidemically minded whereas 500 points may not be that good at all for someone who is a bookworm.

E92 wrote:
    I consider high points to be a person getting what they are capable of getting. So if someone who is rubbish at Maths gets a C in pass Maths then I see that as an achievement for them. Whereas someone who is good at Maths and gets a B in honours Maths has achieved nothing special.

Its all relative. 300 points may be fantastic for someonew who is not acidemically minded whereas 500 points may not be that good at all for someone who is a bookworm.
    Well of course, that's the ideological way of looking at it.

However, the LC is used to seperate people of differing academic ability. I think the point of this thread is to see what points people think reflect a high academic ability.

There's also the whole "not academically minded" vs. lazy argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This is how i would rank it.

340 - 390 Average, not good really.

400- 440 Good

450 - 490 Very Good

500 - 550 Excellant

You responded to my comment in which I was speaking about the 'not a happy bunny thread' so it kinda is related........

Apologies for the confusion.

I was never really that involved in hurling abuse in the "I am not a happy bunny" thread in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I can't honestly see how people can class over 400 as average, and below 400 as fairly poor. That seems like snobbery to me.
    300-380 would be average.
    380+ well done, I would class this as high points personally.
    250-300 I would still class as done decent, I wouldn't call that poor.

Advertisement