Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you consider as high points?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

Smegball- I don't think anyone is being snobby. It is merely personal opinion which is what the thread was asking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Smegball wrote:
    I can't honestly see how people can class over 400 as average, and below 400 as fairly poor. That seems like snobbery to me.
    300-380 would be average.
    380+ well done, I would class this as high points personally.
    250-300 I would still class as done decent, I wouldn't call that poor.
    What would you class as poor?

The world doesn't work in such ideological terms. The LC is supposed to seperate people of differing academic abilities. Are universities snobby for not letting somone with 200 points do medicine??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Smegball- I don't think anyone is being snobby. It is merely personal opinion which is what the thread was asking for.

Fair enough, but for people like myself and others who see that above 400 is average it can be really offputting and nearly shocking to read. It just seemed like snobbery to me, I doubt they are snobs at all after all like you said it is personal opinion. It just seemed like it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

obl wrote:
    For me, a fairly mediocre score would be 450.
    Good job you don't run any universities then.
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    And I rarely hear of many people getting lower than 400 in the LC....
    Is my situation strange somehow?
    Very, seeing as how only 40% (can't remember the exact figure.Its on examiniations.ie ) of the people who sat the leaving last year got above 400.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    What would you class as poor?

The world doesn't work in such ideological terms. The LC is supposed to seperate people of differing academic abilities. Are universities snobby for not letting somone with 200 points do medicine??

Personally I would class poor as below 180-200. Suppose people doing all ordinary level would then class me as a snob.
    I get your point,fair enough it's to separate people of a certain intelligence into different courses but when I seen 400-500 as average It seemed slightly snobby to me. Maybe that's the average in your area whereas the average around here would be 250-350.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I don't know many people not taking 6 honours subjects.. Those who I know who aren't are particularly weak students....

And I rarely hear of many people getting lower than 400 in the LC....

Is my situation strange somehow?

Yes I'd say it is haha. All you have to do is look at the numbers of students taking pass irish and maths... And all the other pass subjects too, if someone's taking pass geog/art/whatever chances are it's not their only pass subject.

Weird.

Although, no one takes pass Irish in my school, and not many who do pass Maths do other pass subjects.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Weird.

Although, no one takes pass Irish in my school, and not many who do pass Maths do other pass subjects.

Really? I'd say about 60-70% of my school do pass Irish and the same or more for pass maths...

How many people are in your year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I'm not aiming for high points which would probably be 500 or more. I'm aiming for what I need, but I'm thinking right now maybe I should have aimed a bit higher to make it safer.. I better go study..

kisaragi wrote:
    Really? I'd say about 60-70% of my school do pass Irish and the same or more for pass maths...

Same for my school, in my year theres 4 Irish classes, 3 of them are pass.
    3 Maths classes, 2 of them are pass.

• Advertisement

kisaragi wrote:

I'm in a Gaelscoil, so...

There are about 60-70 in my year. About 60% would do pass maths I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Weird.

Don't you go to an Irish speaking school though?

JC 2K3 wrote:

Well.. that makes sense then haha. People doing pass maths don't necessarily do other pass subjects but I'd say that if people are going to do a pass subject the first one is usually maths... But (in my experience) those who tend to do pass optional subjects do more than just one pass subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

While some people only do pass maths or irish, I have seen few people do only one other subject at pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

kisaragi wrote:

He he he in my school, wehave about 65-70% easily who do pass Irish, in fact many of those who are going to do very well in their other subjects dropped down to pass Irish this year cause it takes up so much time, and pass was a walk in the park for them. More than half do honours Maths, which is interesting.

Offtopic but now I know why that inspite of the fact JC 2K3 said that while he hates language learning because I cant remember the exact words but it was along the lines of it sucks and is of no practical use, he did his level best to defend compulsory Irish. Kinda funny isn't it? The only 'foreign language'(I know I said Irish is our language but lets face a little reality here learning Irish is like learning a foreign language since we spend most if not all our time using English, and we always want to know what thing in our 'own' language(irish) mean in the 'enemy' language(english), I'm only being tounge in cheek about it, I dont want any fíor Gaeilgóirs to have a seizure over my comment) that is/was of practical use to him. Just cause you're good at something, and you must be good at the national language since you would have spent a considerable amount of your time ag labhairt trí Gaeilge agus ag úsáid ár dTeagna féin doesnt mean that the rest of us should be forced to learn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

What people consider to be high points should be relative to themselves and themselves only. You should not be influenced by others opinions.

Besides points are only currency to get into college. Points aren't reflective of the quality of the course, merely they reflect supply versus demand. How many points you get in the leaving cert is not going to reflect how well you're going to do in life.

As for the not academically minded Vs Lazy argument, there are two broad ends of the spectrum covered there. You have people who come from wealthy backgrounds who have little to worry about as regards the basic neccessities. This in turn would lead to a general laziness that seems to have afflicted quite a few students. Its a product of the celtic tiger.

Then on the other hand you have students who are not academically gifted yet will work as hard as they can to best of their ability to do well and get a good job and education. They could do 4/5 pass subjects and end up with say 300, that to them is the equivilant of someone elses 600.

So it's not fair to class such people as 'lazy' or indeed to say the average leaving cert is 450 or to class that as mediocre when the figures from the SEC would suggest otherwise imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

JC 2K3 wrote:

If he's in a Gaelscoil, there's also the bonus for answering through Irish to consider.

So 300 -> 330 or 490->545 or possibly more.

But definitely where I go to school (a community school):

0-300 - You wouldn't be congratulated, but it's pretty common.
    300-400 - Would be considered average
    400-500 - Very good
    500-600 - Rarely happens, a handful a year maybe.

Id say more than a handful get 500+. Still not a huge amount but certainly a good few get it, just like a good few get less than 100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

E92 wrote:
    Just cause you're good at something, and you must be good at the national language since you would have spent a considerable amount of your time ag labhairt trí Gaeilge agus ag úsáid ár dTeagna féin doesnt mean that the rest of us should be forced to learn it.

I know this was directed at someone else (and I hope it's not a double post by the time I post it) but:

If you don't have to do compulsory Irish, then there's no way I'm doing compulsory Maths.

And if people don't have to do compulsory Maths, society suffers.

This may be ransom, but as long as there are language nazis (and seeing as I and JC seem to be Leaving Cert age, that will be for a long time yet), every effort will be made to stop Gaelic culture being destroyed even if it's inconvenient.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

boards.ie would not reflect the general make-up of the Irish student body.

Boards members, in the main, are those who can afford (or whose families can afford) a PC at home, with internet access - that alone rules out a large segment of the Leaving Cert. cohort.

A student who attempted some Foundation subjects at Junior Cert. would more than likely be thrilled with a few Ds at Ordinary in Leaving Cert., but he is unlikely to be posting here and certainly not given the opinions some have espoused about people who get 'low' points.

• Advertisement

Irish should be kept but unlike maths its not essential for most college courses therefore shouldnt be part of matriculation in the NUIs

spurious wrote:

Boards members, in the main, are those who can afford (or whose families can afford) a PC at home, with internet access - that alone rules out a large segment of the Leaving Cert. cohort.

A student who attempted some Foundation subjects at Junior Cert. would more than likely be thrilled with a few Ds at Ordinary in Leaving Cert., but he is unlikely to be posting here and certainly not given the opinions some have espoused about people who get 'low' points.

QFT. Although Id say theres an even larger majority who have interent access but wouldnt bother going to a Leaving cert board instead of say Bebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Irish should be kept but unlike maths its not essential for most college courses therefore shouldnt be part of matriculation in the NUIs
    Thankfully its not if you're born outside of the 26 counties!!!Mwhahaha.

*Hugs english birth cert*

lol, indeed but some people arent that lucky. For example in my family Im the only one who is capable of higher irish and only a C level at that. Indeed my fellow siblings have done or almost definitely do foundation irish. If theres noone in your family who speaks irish at even a basic level then youll find it much harder to learn irish as youll be reliant upon picking it all up in class. and with a subject you start in 1st class thats pretty hard.

spurious wrote:

Good point... and those who are "lazy" are unlikely to be reading topics on the Leaving Cert in their free time :)

I think 17 people in last year's 6th year here got 500+ and two got 600... So that's probably about 15% of people in my school got 500+ (I'm not too sure of the total number in the year). I think 50% got 300+... So that's quite a good number scoring very high points, but still half the year scoring less than 300...

And certain schools do attract a higher calibre of student.(whether thats fair or not is a different debate , especially in relation to the type of schools which do better)

E92 wrote:
    Offtopic but now I know why that inspite of the fact JC 2K3 said that while he hates language learning because I cant remember the exact words but it was along the lines of it sucks and is of no practical use, he did his level best to defend compulsory Irish. Kinda funny isn't it?
    No not really. You'll also notice where I said a foreign language should also be mandatory and just because I didn't like it was not an excuse for me not to have to do it.
    Karlusss wrote:
    If he's in a Gaelscoil, there's also the bonus for answering through Irish to consider.

So 300 -> 330 or 490->545 or possibly more.
    Lolz, that's such bollocks.

Firstly, no bonus for Irish or English.

In Maths, it's 5% of what you got up to 75% and then a sliding scale, same with French and some other subjects.

For other subjects, it's 10% of the marks you didn't get and I think in these subjects there's actually no bonus when you get above a certain percentage.

So it can only ever get you up one grade in 4 subjects, and only if you're 1/2% away from the next grade, which realistically only means a possibility of 20 extra points.

(Now I know if someone does 8 subjects and gets 89% in every one besides Irish and English, it'd mean an extra 60 points, but again, realistically, the odds of that happening are slim)

spurious wrote:
    Ah come on, broadband is becoming as widespread as TV ownership nowadays. I'd doubt that that many of the 50,000 or so doing the LC don't have internet access, as genericgoon said:
    QFT. Although Id say theres an even larger majority who have interent access but wouldnt bother going to a Leaving cert board instead of say Bebo.
    Which I agree with and also would argue that lack of motivation/laziness are much larger factors in performing badly than socio-economic background in this day and age.
    spurious wrote:
    Yes, but that person would have a learning difficulty and they would not be reflective of the average student.
    And certain schools do attract a higher calibre of student.(whether thats fair or not is a different debate , especially in relation to the type of schools which do better)
    As long as the schools are public, like mine, there is no problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

JC 2K3 wrote:
    As long as the schools are public, like mine, there is no problem with it.

Oh ho ho! The schools may accept everyone but not everyone has the thousands of euro to pay for the high-quality education they provide.

IT'S NOT FAIR AT ALL.

But it doesn't bother me to be honest. I work, therefore I succeed.

• Advertisement

Oh ho ho! The schools may accept everyone but not everyone has the thousands of euro to pay for the high-quality education they provide.
    What are you talking about?

My school has no fees....

Advertisement