Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you consider as high points?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

But there are schools with fees and thus its not really a fair playing field and thus we should all be outraged because some posh twit who can afford better education might get a place in lieu of a hard worker but who has access to a lower quality education. And so we should all become communists or something and kill all the rich people . Oh wait..... nevermind

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

A communist type education system wouldn't imo be a bad thing. That way you couldn't buy your leaving cert etc and everyone would be assessed on an equal basis. I know I'm going to get flamed for this because as soon as anyone sees the word 'communist' they get visions of stalinist soviet union.

This is getting off topic anyway. As far as I'm concerned leaving cert students should only care about what they themselves get, not what others get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Subjective question tbh... The national average is around 300 isnt it?

Personally an average leaving is between 350 and 450
    good leaving is around 450 to 500
    great leaving is 500 to 530
    excellent leaving is 530 and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Well the way I see it all depends on how many honour subjetcs you are doing.

But if your ignoring that id take 300-350 as average
    350-400 would be good
    400-500 would be great.
    500+ would be excellent!

Im hoping to get 400 points and if i get that or anythin higher, i will be over the moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

I gotta say, as obvious as it is, at the end of the day points don't matter as long as you get your course. I know a good few people who worked themselves to the bone and got over 500 points and chose arts. For me, I just think that's plain fúcking weird... Why go to all that extra bother?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 spongebobgirl

It's all relative really... it depends on your natural talents, the level of crap you've been through over the two years, and of course the course you're going for! For me, anything below 560 is baaaaad... I wanna be a dentist! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Rojo wrote:
    I gotta say, as obvious as it is, at the end of the day points don't matter as long as you get your course. I know a good few people who worked themselves to the bone and got over 500 points and chose arts. For me, I just think that's plain fúcking weird... Why go to all that extra bother?

Even if I wanted to do arts I'd still work hard to do my best... You might as well give it your all. And maybe they weren't expecting 500 points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Rojo wrote:
    In practical terms? Think of the scholorship grants....

And what if you wanted to change your course if you didn't like it?

Also, there's nothing wrong with working towards high points for the prestige of it, and if you've been in school for 6 years, you kinda want something to show for it.

And did you ever consider that they might like learning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Anything above 540 seems high to me, any lower and I jst consider points in terms of a percentage of 600 pts. eg. 300 =50% . Now if u saw 50% as an exam result , would you b pleased?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Jayeire wrote:
    Anything above 540 seems high to me, any lower and I jst consider points in terms of a percentage of 600 pts. eg. 300 =50% . Now if u saw 50% as an exam result , would you b pleased?

If 50% got you your course I don't think you would be too disappointed to be honest.

A person who got 89% but didn't get their course would be a lot more disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

just so you all know the average points is between 200 and 300.......so really anything above that shud be high. however i too wud consider 400+ to be high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

No. I think the average is over three hundred... between that and 370 or so anyway. I'd consider over 450ish to be pretty high, but it all depends on what you yourself want. Like, I think 450 is high, but if I got that, I'd be crushed because I need at least sixty points more to get my course...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dean-16

sternn wrote:
    I consider anything below 300 to be a poor result. Anything above 400 would be a good result.
    yea me too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

300-400 - Average
    400-500 - Good
    500-600 - High

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

The actual average points are 300-360....Not personal opinion statistics from the last few years

Advertisement