Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending 3Data Modem USB/Power Cable

Options
  • 16-06-2007 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

What is the max distance you could run the power/usb cable? and can you even get one thts measured in the 15/20mtrs range? I can get a 3 bar signal on the other side of the house where i can't move to or run a server from. At the moment im using the charging cable from the ps3 game pad which is the longest i have

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I have mine extended a couple of metres. Not sure tbh if a cable as long as you are saying would work.

Does it make any difference if you use just one USB port or two? it says assistant power?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Xcellor wrote:
    I have mine extended a couple of metres. Not sure tbh if a cable as long as you are saying would work.

Does it make any difference if you use just one USB port or two? it says assistant power?

Ye i seen that, but its not doing what i tought/hoped it would.
    Wireless would have been a nice feature on these devices along with usb. Was thinking about it with my limited Knowledge of wifi and can't see why it wouldn't work on the next generation of "modems" I'd buy one for sure..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Here's one for you....whats the other cable in the box for??...does it mean 3bb can work on two pc's at the same time??

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

philstar wrote:
    Here's one for you....whats the other cable in the box for??...does it mean 3bb can work on two pc's at the same time??
    Don't know. i doubt it very much for a couple of reasons. I'm working on the assumption that it is what it says it is and nothing else.
    Can any one tell me what the technical name for these type usb cables is?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

if its the same USB souble cable that comes with the vodfone version then its for using the modem on a USB 1.0 type computer where you would have to use 2 ports to power the modem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

You can get "active" usb cables for running over longer distances , the little box looks after timing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

philstar wrote:

The other cable is for extra power. Some laptops only have low powered USB ports, that won't deliver enough power to the 3 DataModem. In that case you plug them both in and should be ok.

/Martin

ok thanks for that marlow:)

so if i was to get a pc with USB 2.0.....would that mean i'll get even faster connection speeds??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

philstar wrote:

so if i was to get a pc with USB 2.0.....would that mean i'll get even faster connection speeds??

Dunno if that yoke does USB2, but no matter what, your USB dongle only does up to 3.6 MBit. USB1.1 will transmit up to 12 mbit. Where is the problem ?

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

philstar wrote:

USB 1.1 can manage the top speed of 3G/HSDPA so USB2.0 shouldn't make any difference.

USB 1.1 may not handle higher speed Broadband or 4G at full speed (5MBps and higher).

Don't use a hub with other devices or any other USB device on the same USB1.1 controller so as to maximise the speed as the USB would then have less time for the data network.

Even on USB2.0, the data modem is best without a hub and as only device on a controller ( usually each controller has two ports, which may not always be independent on throughput).

Even with 480Mbps peak USB2.0, if a 1 Mbps or slower device is in use on the same hub or controller your total speed could be limited to 500kbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Marlow wrote:
    Dunno if that yoke does USB2, but no matter what, your USB dongle only does up to 3.6 MBit. USB1.1 will transmit up to 12 mbit. Where is the problem ?

/Martin

The USB 1.1 speed of 12Mbps is a raw, total bandwidth. Data connection is two way. There is protocol overhead so the real limit for a single device on USB1.1 that sends and receives data is around 4Mbps to 5.5MBbps.

Which indeed is fast enough

Marlow wrote:
    Dunno if that yoke does USB2, but no matter what, your USB dongle only does up to 3.6 MBit. USB1.1 will transmit up to 12 mbit. Where is the problem ?/Martin

no problem as such...just wondering if i got a new pc with usb 2.0 would it make my BB speed even faster, but as professor watty;) pointed out that is not necessarily the case.

Advertisement