Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about contention....

Options
  • 16-06-2007 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

This morning when i did a quick test with speedtest.net, my speed is a lot lower that expected - however my modem is saying i am synced at the full 2 meg speed - could the low speedtest be a simple result of contention kicking in on a busy saturday morning.....>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Do your speedtest with a wired connection to your router (it can sometimes make a difference) and REMEMBER with "overhead" you're never going to have a full 2Mbit.

Why not post the results and get an opinion by return?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Contention is a fact of life, you will drive yourself (and us!) mad worrying about speed etc for God's sake enjoy your broadband!

(And if you were able to do a 'quick' speedtest you can't be having much of a problem!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

im not worried! - just wondering if the following result could be the reason of contention....? i normally get about 1700

141046853.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Its either contention or just a poor connection.....happens me all the time!

Restart your router and you should get a faster connection ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

cancel the egm! one of the phones was plugged in without a filter: speeds are back to normal for a saturday...

• Advertisement
Advertisement