Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Attenuation

Options
  • 16-06-2007 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if someone can tell me what this is exactly.......the router homepage currently shows my connection 55/31 dB

Its confusing a bit :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

are you on the 1mb or the 2mb connection...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

2mb

from what ive been told, you are borderline 2mb like me - my stats are:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 11.50 19.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 49.50 31.00
    CRC Errors 3 2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

.............................so the closer to the exchange the less attenuation?

yes i think that is one of factors....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you do a search you will find at least one recent thread on this with several links to explanations of attenuation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Just wondering if someone can tell me what this is exactly.......the router homepage currently shows my connection 55/31 dB

Its confusing a bit :confused::confused::confused:
    This is how much the signal is weakened by the line. It gets progressively higher as the line gets longer, and this is why broadband wont work on lines. Eircom dont take orders on lines with attenuation higher than about 78. With 55 attenuation, your line is about 4.5 km long.

If you go into expert mode and check statistics and go to DSL, or something along those lines, there are more details. You will see two numbers called SNR. If this is less than 12, there may be problems with your connection. Your line speed is fine regardless of attenuation so long as the SNR number is bigger than 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

.............................so the closer to the exchange the less attenuation?

yea i'm about 250 meters away from the exchange my attenuation is 10 / 8db

Advertisement