Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy Gavriel Kay

Options
  • 16-06-2007 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭

This author started as far as i knoe by helping christopher tolkien with the silmarillion.
    Indeed his first trilogy, the fionnavar tapestry was tolkiensque.

However, He broke that mould with tigana, which i admit is one of the best books i have ever read.

wnyone else read this author and have any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I enjoy Kay's stuff, but feel that he fails to strile the right balance somehow.

To explain...very often when reading Kay's stuff, I feel that its a story set in Europe, with European cultures, with the names just very slightly mis-spelled - particularly with The Lions of Al-Rassan, and The Last Light of the Sun.

Tolkien - who's writing I'm not the world's greatest fan of - borrowed heavily from European mythology but did genuinely try to create his own world. Kay, I often feel, would have been better off writing "historical fiction", or diverging further from it.

That said...Tigana is, as you say, a triumph.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have a mate and she thinks this guy is the best fantasy writer going, I'm not a fan of the genre myself, prefer scifi, but this mate gets pretty stoked whenever a new book becomes available and gets them online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Seeker

I read the Fionnavar Tapestry and it was good , but for some reason his writing style gave me a headache.

Advertisement