Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Modem and Linksys Router

Options
  • 16-06-2007 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Quick question. I have my NTL Modem (the little blue 250 one) and a Linksys wireless router WRT54G. All works well and speeds etc are fine.

However, one small problem Ive had ever since I can remember is that I have to reset both the modem and router every 24-48 hours. Otherwise I get full strength (wireless) or full connection (wired) but no net access.

From what I can work out, this is presumably when NTL allocates a new IP address (that is a guess though). Is there a way to get the modem and router to keep in touch with one another without having to reset both so that I get connectivity to the outside world again?

Thanks in advance,
    Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I had similar problems with different modems etc...as far as I know, its something to do with having to activate "Bridge mode" or something to that effect. Im not really up so speed on it.........sorry that i cant be of more help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Thanks Neon, Im sure youre right and that it is something relatively simple in the setup for either the modem or the router. Beats me what it is though :)

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Its the settings for the WAN input on the linksys that needs to be changed. Reletivly simple, yet darn complicated thing to do!

Try give NTL a call and they might be able to tell you what settings to use....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The WAN needs to be DHCP with NO PPPoE.

You may need to reboot NTL modem or use Router to Clone PC MAC address. Sometimes the Cable modems "lock" DHCP to a particular MAC (network card).

The NTL modem is not a router, so no settings on it need or even can be changed. "Bridging" is to convert ADSL Modem/Router into a modem only for separate router, this does not apply to most Cable Modems.

A Cable Modem is generally only a Router also if it has more than one Ethernet port and /or WiFi built in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've the same setup but it seems to lose the connection when I use torrents - are you using these too? From what I can gather by looking online, it's to do with the router's OS having a limit on the number of connections it can handle and can be rectified by flashing an alternate version of the underlying OS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

My Router was crashing with IRC! Lots of consumer routers can't cope the torrants, its caching IPs or something and running out of internal RAM

I changed over to Clarkconnect running on a old 300MHz PC with a 2nd network card stuck in. Use the old router jusr for WiFi (nothing connected to its WAN socket, disable its DHCP server).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

ixoy wrote:
    I've the same setup but it seems to lose the connection when I use torrents - are you using these too? From what I can gather by looking online, it's to do with the router's OS having a limit on the number of connections it can handle and can be rectified by flashing an alternate version of the underlying OS.
    I've a WRT54GS v5.1 and was having a load of problems with it (on a DSL connection); random disconnects, the router locking up regardless of what applications were accessing the net etc. I installed DD-WRT onto it a couple of weeks ago and it's been fine since. There's a couple of links in this post that I used in case it's of any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

I have the exact same problem with NTL and a Linksys router. At least once a day I lose the wireless connection and have to go all the way downstairs, unplug the power to the router for a second and plug it back in. It works fine then.

UNTIL THE NEXT TIME.

Advertisement