Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

these damned early mornings

Options
  • 16-06-2007 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

My 2 1/2 year old has been waking up (for the day) any time between 4.30am and 5.30am every morning for the past 3 weeks or so. I feel like I've got a newborn again as it's becoming hard to function properly.
    I don't really know why I'm posting this... i don't believe there's much I can do but put up with it until it passes. I think I just want a sympathetic ear :o
    The last few weeks all I seem to be hearing is about small babies that sleep for 12 hours straight and indeed a complaint by one friend who's baby woke at the unearthly hour of 6.30am :p

I'm so tired I'm getting grumpy and snappy and doing stupid things like taking the roasting tin out of the oven without oven gloves...ouch!

Sympathy or better again empathy anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

oh I hear ya! My 10 mth old had ear and throat infection last week. He sleeps in with us (no lectures on cosleeping please :) ) and usually has no probs sleeping the nite. Since hes been sick though hes waking up at odd hours. He slept well the last few nites, thought he was back to normal then last nite he was awake at 4.30am. Im so wrecked this week ive turned down a mate to go out tonite, just not up for it at all!

Its prob just a phase and hopefully it will pass sooner rather than later - just wanted you to know youre are not alone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Thank you!
    Funny you mention ear infections. Last time my little one went through a phase like this (about 3 months ago) we had about 4-5 weeks of it and and were blaming teething though we couldn't see any. Lo and behold he woke up one morning with a raging temperature and it turned out to be an ear and throat infection. Once the anti-biotics kicked in he was right as rain and sleeping well again. He says his ears are fine now though but I can't help but think there's something brewing.
    I swear he does this just when we get all settled and start to have actual hobbies/ read books/ have nights out etc etc again!
    I think he also knows that I was starting to feel broody again lately... this phase has certainy put a stop to any of those crazy thoughts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Littlebug, he's probably waking up earlier because of the bright early mornings. Why don't you invest in blackout blinds you place behind curtains (they're sold in curtain shops), they'll darken the room completly when the curtains are pulled. It worked with my son, who last year was getting up at the very early hours you mentioned. Now I have to wake him up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

kelle wrote:
    Littlebug, he's probably waking up earlier because of the bright early mornings. Why don't you invest in blackout blinds you place behind curtains (they're sold in curtain shops), they'll darken the room completly when the curtains are pulled. It worked with my son, who last year was getting up at the very early hours you mentioned. Now I have to wake him up!

These saved my sanity from May-Sept

Well worth looking into.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Thanks folks but I'm afraid these aren't the answer as he's already had them since he was a baby so the room is dark as dark could be! It could be birds though (but I haven't noticed any noise from them). I dunno... it's either teething (but I can't see or feel any) or an immenent ear infection. He was the grumpiest little boy in the world yesterday and he woke twice last night though he did sleep in til 6am yay!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭UsedtobePC

OP, if it's any consolation my 3 yo has never slept the whole night more than a couple of weeks in a row. He goes to bed at normal time (7:30-8:00) and wakes up at normal time (6:30-7:00) but every time we think we have him under control he'll develop a new trick to keep us awake. Last night it was shouting at the top of his voice: Mammy, are you alright? Daddy read me the Clown book, etc. So I can feel your pain only too well

Advertisement