Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elder Scrolls alternatives?

Options
  • 16-06-2007 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Oblivion is surprisingly difficult to get bored of no matter how I convince myself, but I can't stop thinking of all the things Morrowind did better, and if I play Morrowind, I keep thinking of Oblivion being better.

So I need to play something that has a similiar level of involvement, a massive scale with a similiar feel but very different to the Elder Scrolls games.

I'm thinking Gothic 2 looks like one of the few to meet this - but it's very standard fantasy fare. One of the appeals of Elder Scrolls was that it wasn't typical "Bastardised LOTR", it had a lot of orcs and elves but the world was very different to typical fantasy, with it's own lore and gods and Daedra. That's the kind of thing I want to see (IMO Oblivion was a bit too bastardised in itself, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, just the degree to which they did it sucked).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think Gothic 2 was one of the best games I've played of recent years, and you really can't go wrong with it. It's got fairly different game mechanics to the Elder Scrolls games, mind you, so it'll take some getting used to, but I must've played it through about 4 or 5 times.

The only thing is, it's not as big as ES games. Compared to Morrowind, it's quite small.

Still, it's an exceptionally good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Two Worlds is out at some point soon iirc. Have a gander for some previews, looks fairly good.

/edit: nevermind, not out til August apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Maybe there's an exceptionally good Morrowind overhaul...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dooom wrote:
    Two Worlds is out at some point soon iirc. Have a gander for some previews, looks fairly good.

/edit: nevermind, not out til August apparently.

Plus, its really really bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

There's various Oblivion overhauls, like Obscurion's mod, or however that's spelt.

Two Worlds didn't look all that bad from what I've seen..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Just stare out the window for a few hours. Much more interesting than Oblivion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I never heard of gothic 2 until about 2 years ago so i bought it. I really liked it, was surprised that id enver heard of it. Then i tried the first one and its just as good. Graphics are pretty nice. Nice setting.

Now the big difference between elder scrolls and gothic is the combat. Gothic is more clunky and has no fps view, and when you're starting off you get killed by everything(rats own you) and it requires a bit of skill and thinking and when you do get more skillful it really feels good. Also I preferred the gothic world to oblivion, it just felt a lot more real and alive.

In some ways its better than elder scrolls, some ways it isn't. Either way, both are really good games.

If i could go back i'd play Gothic 1 first. The graphics are pretty much the same and it would be better story-wise as both games are connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Isn't Gothic 3 out? Or did I imagine it?

edit: Just checked, yeah it is. I knew I played it :D I never got to play 1 or 2 so I don't know how it compares to them, but it seems a more engaging version of Oblivion. You feel like you're changing the world, and, well actually you are for the most part. The graphics are great and the world seems pretty nice, but one thing I did notice was that every now and again, some wild animal would kill an NPC I needed to talk to, which needless to say, was very annoying.

Advertisement