Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money = better education?

Options
  • 16-06-2007 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Well more money would probably mean access to better teachers and facilities so yes. That wont make an idiot into a genius though but it would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

For the most part no.However in around the cities like Dublin where there are fee paying schools, than yes.However the education isn't THAT much better.I still maintain that it would have been nigh on impossible for me to get a better economics teacher than the one I got at my (non-fee paying) school.....you know unless I got thaught by Keynes or Marx or someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

In our class based society of today, yes.

Btw there shouldn't really be a question mark at the end of "Money = Better Education?". Its not really a question, more of an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Better education? Maybe.
    Better learning? Not necessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

I dunno.. my 2 person spanish class is pretty good!

Anyway even if you buy your education it doesn't mean you're going to work....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

Btw there shouldn't really be a question mark at the end of "Money = Better Education?". Its not really a question, more of an answer.

Yes there should. I'm questioning whether the statement is true or not. It's like asking: "That's a dog?"

cson wrote:
    In our class based society of today, yes.

well Cson the topic title just seems to be a shorter way of saying does having money mean a better education. The OP is questioning whether this statement is true therefore a ? is applicable

I know you were asking a question. But imo its pretty simple really: it does.

I feel that it's up to the student but, then again, if a student is doing well in a "normal" school he could be doing great in a "good" school, no?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i can't see how it wouldn't lead to a better education to be honest

• Advertisement

Thats the crux of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ive been going to a fee paying school for 14 years, I personally thing the standard is much much better when compared to other public schools in the area. There is about 120 students in my year, average LC result in my school is 410. Our math standard is one of the best in the country, out of 27 students my teacher averages 23 As every year (I think the statistics were 100% higher than national average). I definitely think you get what you pay for, but I dont think the grind schools are worth that much extra when compared to a regular fee paying school.

Look its a fee payer! KILL EET! DOWN WITH THE BOURGEOIS SCUM!

joke.It is a bit unfair on us lowly plebians though isnt it?

If you go to a fee paying grind school for example, what extra curricular activities do you do comparitive to a community/public school? No need for an answer there.

In fee paying grind schools you are constantly exposed to learning, most have compulsory after school study from say 5 to 9, everything is geared towards the examinations and you will more than likely have high quality teachers.

No doubt the institute/<insertgrindschoolhere> brigade won't be long in making their presence felt here saying it makes no difference, when in reality it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

eZe^ wrote:
    Ive been going to a fee paying school for 14 years, I personally thing the standard is much much better when compared to other public schools in the area. There is about 120 students in my year, average LC result in my school is 410. Our math standard is one of the best in the country, out of 27 students my teacher averages 23 As every year (I think the statistics were 100% higher than national average). I definitely think you get what you pay for, but I dont think the grind schools are worth that much extra when compared to a regular fee paying school.

Id on't agree with that at all, I go to a Community School and there is a much better range of subjects than in many private schools. Our school had the highest Junior cert results in the country a few years ago. If you're going to a fee paying school you're probably well off and come from a family which is well educated, so that automatically gives you an advantage.

Also, results aren't a true indicator of a "good school", extra curricular and general atmosphere add a lot to your overall education.

There are a lot of schools in disadvantaged areas that could do with more funding though, it's a disgrace that the government gives money to fee paying schools. If you're able to pay for it, you don't need everyone else's taxes too.

In fee paying grind schools you are constantly exposed to learning, most have compulsory after school study from say 5 to 9, everything is geared towards the examinations and you will more than likely have high quality teachers.

I'm glad you brought that up. Does money mean better exam grades and not a better overall education? Does the fact that people in "normal" schools have to work that little bit extra than fee-paying students mean that they learn more skills than the others? That they leave more educated although they may have lower grades on their CV's?

lets be honest people if you pay to go to a school I think youd expect, in general, to find a higher quality of teacher and resources otherwise youd have been wasting your money.

Geranium wrote:
    There are a lot of schools in disadvantaged areas that could do with more funding though, it's a disgrace that the government gives money to fee paying schools. If you're able to pay for it, you don't need everyone else's taxes too.

Touché. Its an absolute disgrace that teachers salaries in fee-paying schools are paid for by the government.

Also people try not to get confused between grind schools and fee-paying schools. Im sure not all fee schools are grind schools like the institute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 chas_88

Judging from my own experience, I think fee-paying schools have exactly the same standard of teaching as any other schools. The fees just pay for facilities and prestige. My school, which is fee-paying, has a few atrocious teachers, and I know of outstanding teachers in non-fee-paying schools.

The only way money can improve your education is through grinds.

• Advertisement

I'm glad you brought that up. Does money mean better exam grades and not a better overall education? Does the fact that people in "normal" schools have to work that little bit extra than fee-paying students mean that they learn more skills than the others? That they leave more educated although they may have lower grades on their CV's?

Exactly.

Grind schools and to a lesser extent the fee-paying schools are geared towards exam results. You focus soley on the exams and do fúck all extra curricular activities.

So yes I would conclude that a person from a public school will have to work harder to obtain the same results as a person from a fee-paying school. However I think that this is paradoxically a good thing as you develop better as a person and find out a lot about yourself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

cson wrote:
    Touché. Its an absolute disgrace that teachers salaries in fee-paying schools are paid for by the government.

not all fee paying schools, the school i went to paid the teachers themselves, as alot weren't actual teachers, but very well informed on the subject, which also adds to the broader learning experience, i went to public school i was given out to for moving off the 'course' in my fee paying it was encouraged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I don't attend a fee-paying school although I think the general perception being created is one where you are "locked" into education for the rest of the Leaving Cert., which probably isn't the case at all. I'm sure there's more social activities than being told here and it's not as bad as people are making out. That's not to say it has more extra cirricular activities than public schools.

Hahaha, I dont like how people think if you go to a fee paying school the exam grades are good but other educational sides of it arent there. Thats just stupid, maybe in grind schools, one just has better teachers, youre not made study anymore or anyless than a normal school. There are **** loads of sports and extra curricular activities iswell, Its not like going to a private school means your a social retard! :D
    Lucas10101 wrote:
    I don't attend a fee-paying school although I think the general perception being created is one where you are "locked" into education for the rest of the Leaving Cert., which probably isn't the case at all. I'm sure there's more social activities than being told here and it's not as bad as people are making out. That's not to say it has more extra cirricular activities than public schools.

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well, one advantage to fee paying schools is the network of friends you develop, which could come in very handy later in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

cson wrote:
    most have compulsory after school study from say 5 to 9

I doubt that very much.

I know of two grind schools that do.

You'd probably get better quality facilities and extra curricular in a fee paying (NOT grind schools) cos of the extra money they have. Afaik Séan Dunne gave Clongowes €1 million to build pitches or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Fee paying schools don't provide a better education, they're just perceived as so.

I think also that schools in less advantaged areas have too low expectations of their students, who already have low expecations of themselves, and therefore they fail to bring out the best in them.

One of the main reasons parents send their children to private schools is that they have nothing else to spend their money on and would like to assert a sense of prestige.

xha1r wrote:
    I doubt that very much.

hahah, too true, we finished everyday at 3.20!

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    One of the main reasons parents send their children to private schools is that they have nothing else to spend their money on and would like to assert a sense of prestige.

your idiotic statements imply you went to public school :p

Advertisement