Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

street dancing , break dancing, krumping

Options
  • 16-06-2007 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

hey !im really interested in starting street danceing, break dancing or krumping!! does anyone no where classes for these are held in dublin...if any?? preferably on the south side for easier travelling! x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

There are hiphop classes alright. In the city check out www.janeshortall.com. Also in Dun Laoghaire there is the Dance Theatre of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sandie-B

Hope you don't mind me tagging onto your thread but does anyone know of any classes in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I think there are classes in the Firkin Crane in Cork (Shandon).

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

When I was living in Cork, I had to travel to Dublin to take good Hip Hop classes. I don't think there are any running at the moment. There are loads of performing arts schools (ballet, jazz, tap etc...) around but it's hard to find a good Hip Hop class in Cork.

OP, Streets Ahead do breakdancing classes. Jane's finished for the summer, but her Hip Hop class is great. Rob Dias in Dance House is supposed to be class too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 xXMarz-4-SvSXx

Hiya!! im aged between 12-18 and would LOVE to start hip-hop or street dancing! does anyone know if theres a good place that does it in cork?? please reply ASAP

thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

dont know about cork, but in dublin DTI (in dun laoirghe) take rob dias's classes, there hiphop/street dance. one of the best quality classes around imo.

jane shortalls also v good, not sure if hers are running atm though. I used to do both janes and robs classes, they both develop dofferent skills and when merged the result is fantstic.

In DTI they do deadly workshops with different choreographers. went to eddie morales, brilliant stuff.

Hvae been to quite a few other classes, but htey really are the best from my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 xXMarz-4-SvSXx

thanks very much!! very helpful!! anyone else??? preferably based in cork??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bboyblast

Shirleys Luv2Dance Studios in Blackrock Cork hope tghis helps

Hi Marz, as I said above, when I was at home studying in Cork, I used to come to Dublin to take class as there's no proper hip hop classes in Cork. The closest thing I think is Philip McTeggart's Funk class in The Firkin Crane. He's in the golden pages if you wanna give him a call. Think he might be finished for the summer though - his school usually runs Sept - May afaik. Other than that, there are a few breakdancing crews around but they wouldn't be classes, just meeting up to practice and dance.

Also, be very careful about dance schools that say they teach Hip Hop. I found out the hard way that "Hip Hop" in Cork is actually commercial jazz, and the emphasis is on "jazz", which is completely different altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jo5

i think Aspiration is wrong about there being no hip hop in cork, there was a guy that taught in the firkin crane who was good, i was a bit young 4 the class at the time, but alot of the students went on to england from his classes and Phillip Mctaggart has moved on and started his own school, but unfortenaly no hip hop.

• Advertisement

Thanks jo5, maybe there's been more Hip Hop classes started up since I left Cork. Also, as I said, Philip McTeggart teaches Funk, not Hip Hop.

I know of guy who taught Hip Hop in Firkin Crane a while back. If it's the same guy, he's from South Africa and he used to teach with me for the CIT Dance Soc 07-08 - but he finished teaching there years ago. Last time I was talking to him, he was setting up his own school. I don't think it'll be up and running for a few more months, but once I have the details I'll let ye know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dj Fabz

HI every1!!!

Im a guy from Hungary whos livin in Bandon now 4 years. I have som friend from other countries and so we love to hang out!!!! I am (we r)lookin 4 a street dance teacher!!! We would have the space and the music but we need some 1 2 teache us!!! If u r the 1 please contact me and I would love to her from u!!! PAYMENT WOULD BE GIVEN!!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

PeAcE and Respect!!!!!!

Advertisement