Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra - thinking of buying

Options
  • 16-06-2007 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hey I have been offered a 03 Opel Astra 1.4 with 28k miles for €8k plus a trade in on my 98 1.1 peugeot 106.

I haven't seen the car yet - going to look at it Monday. I have never been in, never mind driven an Astra before.

Are they any use? What kinda things come standard with them - e.g. electric + heated mirrors, Air con, sterring wheel radio controls?? I don#t know if it is just the basic package or if the previous owner has extras?

Generally, do you think it is a decent deal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

dont know all that much about the astra, i think its a decent car but wouldnt have much experience of it, dont know anyone that owns one or anything.

but the price seems about right, your 106 if its in good nick is worth 3k or around that and the astra would be worth around 10.5k - 11k depending on the condition, so the deal seems decent enough

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

That's going to be an old model Astra being an '03, the first of the new ones came out in '04 I'm pretty sure. Being Ireland, the vast majority of them will be basic models without air con, and probably with manual mirrors etc., but you may be lucky and stumble upon a higher spec model. Njoy models have some extras but I'm not sure of the details. Look around a few used '03s in an Opel dealer and you'll get a good feel for the trim levels/specs for '03 models.

As for the deal, I'd say shop around. You're basically getting a big fat zero for your 106, as an '03 Astra 1.4 should be around €8k to €9k retail anyway. As always, if you could sell the 106 and buy the Astra with cash, it puts you in a much stronger position to bargain. Cash is king and all that.

Anyway, shop around. The one thing is your favour is that there are absolutely tons of Astras around, you will find an absolute minter for the right money if you take a bit of time to look around. It should have the guts of a year of NCT on it if it's a 2003, make sure the one you buy has an NCT and a service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Not sure about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

nobody should be paying 11k for an 03 Astra.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I doubt the OP is getting anywhere near €3k trade-in for a 1998 Peug 106.

The OP would be better off selling the 106 privately, it would be popular as a first or learner car for somebody. You might fetch around €2,000 for it depending on condition and interest. Then haggle a straight deal discount on the Astra.

To answer the original question, the Astra is not a bad car. The 1.4 litre engine has about 90bhp which is nippy enough and fuel economy is good. Try and get the Njoy, Club or Elegance models as these better equipped than the basic GL model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hermit

hey, Thank you all for your replies and the info. supplied. As a bit of an update - not sure if this helps but the car is a 1.4 Astra nJoy.

Will be having a look at it later this evening.

My own car, 106, has 80k miles on the clock now but it is in very good condition inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

hermit wrote:
    hey, Thank you all for your replies and the info. supplied. As a bit of an update - not sure if this helps but the car is a 1.4 Astra nJoy.

Will be having a look at it later this evening.

My own car, 106, has 80k miles on the clock now but it is in very good condition inside and out.

I know of a very good astra N-Joy that was sold privately for under 8K recently (by a relative) so there are good private deals out there.

Advertisement