Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efexor - Anxiety Medication

Options
  • 16-06-2007 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭

Hey, i was just wondering has anyone any experience of this drug? Im starting a prescription of it on Monday and i must say there is a list of possible side effects and the dosage is very high (75mg) which has me a little concerned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Was on efexor for 6 months and sufferd no side effects. All drugs have to list the side effects,most people dont experience any. Btw the drug worked great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

ah right. Good to hear. Its just that this particular one had alot more on the list than anything ive had before. How long did it take for the affects to start working for you actually? Im guessing it takes a week or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

It takes a week maybe a week and a bit to really kick in.

Cool, thanks. Fingers crossed that these will do the trick anyway. Was on Lexapro but they did nothing for me so by the laws of averages these hopefully should :) Actually just started to see a new psychologist who was recommended to me. She uses acu-pressure which is quite interesting. Only seen her once so far tho so dont know if it will work for me or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The side effects for me didn't really kick in until I was on 300mg (blood pressure and pulse problems, but these don't happen for people outside of high enough doses around 300mg or so). Before then I had no real problems outside of the usual side effects you get at the start with anti-depressents. At 75mg I had no problems at all, but I didn't spend much time at that dose. I spent about 2 years at the 300mg dose.

I can't tell you about how long it took for the effects to begin since I wasn't being treated for anxiety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

75mg is not a very high dosage. Expect nausea after first dose or after first dose following a gap (nausea does not normally occur with XR version - extended release). Expect rebound symptoms after stopping drug, unless you taper off slowly. These rebound symptoms can be severe, but do not last long (a week or two).

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Going to see my G.P. tommorrow...a lot of frightening symptoms today..palpitations...fast heart beat...and briefly felt faint....probably more of what went before..but for peace of mind I'm going to my G.P...anxiety symptoms are worringly similar to a heart attack..however every symptom would lead me to belive that anxiety is more likely...all over tingling ..history etc..but best to tell him

All sounds very familiar Filan. First panic attack i had was terrifying! Sort of knew what was going on but doesnt stop your thoughts of what it could be from running riot. If it will help calm you then definately see your GP. Started on Efexor today. Feel kinda ill but i was out all day yesterday at Croke Park so dont know if its hangover, sideaffects or just my head creating sideaffects that arent actually there. Either way, gonna stick with them and see how they go.

The first few weeks with any of these meds can produce odd side effects. It takes the body some time before it gets used to taking them and so on.

Also, it can take a fair bit more than a week for this (or any other SSRI-type med) to 'kick in'. Don't write it off if you don't notice any improvement in a few weeks. Your doc may increase the dosage if necessary. Don't be concerned if this happens.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

A relation of mine was on it. It seems to work pretty well, though IIRC it will use up the full €80 per month limit for the drugs payment scheme. No side-effects ever mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Nalced_irl wrote:
    the dosage is very high (75mg) which has me a little concerned.
    Imagine the daily recommended amount of water for an adult is 2,000,000 micrograms (2 litres). The number of mg is very much substance dependent.

AFAIK the dosage starts at 37.5mg and goes up to 300mg.

Victor wrote:
    Imagine the daily recommended amount of water for an adult is 2,000,000 micrograms (2 litres). The number of mg is very much substance dependent.

AFAIK the dosage starts at 37.5µg and goes up to 300µg.
    Sorry for correcting you Victor! That should say '37.5mg and goes up to 300mg'. Isn't 1mg = 1,000µg?

BTW, it's unusual, but the max dose on the XR (extended release) version of Effexor is 225mg. I would say XR is the norm now, due to the nausea issue with the normal tablet - but I may be wrong.

Not your ornery onager

225? I was on 300mg of Effexor XR for ages. Maybe they've changed things since then considering the heart related side effects at the higher doses (it was 350mg I think when I was taking it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

nesf wrote:
    225? I was on 300mg of Effexor XR for ages. Maybe they've changed things since then considering the heart related side effects at the higher doses (it was 350mg I think when I was taking it).
    Getting the old serotonin effect......

Different doses work for different people, don't be worried about the actual quantity, some drugs work on microgram quantities, others need grams - depends on the sensitivity of the receptor and the ability of the body to break down certain drugs.

Example - anti-epileptic medicines are frequently prescribed in gram quantities a day in severe cases.

Digoxin in atrial fibrillation can be controlled on 0.125mg a day

DrIndy wrote:
    Different doses work for different people, don't be worried about the actual quantity, some drugs work on microgram quantities, others need grams - depends on the sensitivity of the receptor and the ability of the body to break down certain drugs.

Definitely. People can only tolerate certain quantities and all that. I was more surprised that the recommended maximum dose had gone down than anything else.
    DrIndy wrote:
    Example - anti-epileptic medicines are frequently prescribed in gram quantities a day in severe cases.

Yeah, I found it odd saying 1800mg and not 1.8g. Though for the drug I'm on that's barely a "therapeutic dose" for epilepsy (I don't have epilepsy). I've noticed, especially with stuff being prescribed "off label" that the therapeutic doses for different illnesses can be quite different. The "bipolar dose" of a certain anti-epilepsy drug might be a fraction of the "epilepsy dose" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Knew someone that was on this drug for 3 years and it turned them into a zombie, devoid of all feelings and emotions (besides extreme depression). Their doctor insisted they were the most suitable medication for them. After 3 years they went to a different doctor who immediately took her off them and put her on another medication (think it was Affex) and they're like a new person.
    Not saying of course that this'll happen to you but Effexor have been known to affect people differently

Best of luck in the future

The Irish Pharmaceutical Society estimate that 40% of people on anti-depressents are on the wrong (I take this to mean not the ideal, not that they are prescribing Vitamin B instead of anti-depressents) medication.
    esel wrote:
    Sorry for correcting you Victor! That should say '37.5mg and goes up to 300mg'. Isn't 1mg = 1,000µg?

BTW, it's unusual, but the max dose on the XR (extended release) version of Effexor is 225mg. I would say XR is the norm now, due to the nausea issue with the normal tablet - but I may be wrong.
    You are correct. My fault.

Victor wrote:
    The Irish Pharmaceutical Society estimate that 40% of people on anti-depressents are on the wrong (I take this to mean not the ideal, not that they are prescribing Vitamin B instead of anti-depressents) medication.

Well there was a lecture by Prof. Pat McKeon from St. Pat's a while back talking about how the incident rate of bipolar has increased from 1% to 5% while he was in the field and how most of this came from people who were initially diagnosed with depression (ie the patient either only ever complained when they were in a depressive episode or when they were in a dysphoria they described it as "being down"). The lecture notes are up on the Aware site.

That, and whether a GP can actually accurately diagnose depression is questionable and there's the perennial complaints of (some) GPs handing out anti-depressants far too readily to people who really don't need to be medicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 9th

I was on 75mg of Effexor p/d. Effexor made me put on 20lbs in 14 days. Followed by 7 days where my apettite returned to normal. After that I then went 10 days without sleep, before going to get my script refilled. I was trembling in the doctors surgery. He decide to take my BP. When he say the reading he calledan ambulance. It was 192/63. 6 weeks earlier it had been a healthy 109/71.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

DO NOT GO NEAR THIS STUFF!
    I don't know how it got licenced because it's a horrific drug.

I was prescribed it last year for anxiety attacks and depression. I took it for two months. I stopped because I started to feel suicidal - I had never ever had this feeling before in my life. I constantly had the most horrible feeling of restlessness and excess nervous energy, and my pupils were often very dilated. Imagine all the bad parts of taking E and speed, that's what it felt like.

I slept really badly. Maybe three hours a night because I would wake up with my mind racing. I lost a lot of weight quickly because I had no appetite, and what I did eat made me feel really nauseous. I had visual disturbances as well. My GP took me off it when I told her I felt like I could not handle living with the effects of this drug.

My experience with this drug was hellish. I would not wish it on my worst enemy. Take it as an absolute last resort. Go to see a therapist and find alternative ways of managing your condition.

I'd draw a distinction (and some may disagree with it) between a GP prescribing you this and a psychiatrist prescribing you this. That and it works for some people and not for others.

eth0_ wrote:
    DO NOT GO NEAR THIS STUFF!
    While it didn't work for you, it does work for others. We are not medical professionals. It is for patients and their professionals to agree a course of therapy.

Victor wrote:
    While it didn't work for you, it does work for others. We are not medical professionals. It is for patients and their professionals to agree a course of therapy.

This is true, however, there are far more horrific stories about this drug than any other anti-depressant medication out there. I told the OP to use it as a last resort and that is exactly what this drug is MEANT for. It is for people who have seen no results from SSRI medication and therapy. It is instead doled out to people who have never even taken an anti-depressant before, which I cannot get my head around. It's a very hardcore drug.

eth0_ wrote:
    This is true, however, there are far more horrific stories about this drug than any other anti-depressant medication out there. I told the OP to use it as a last resort and that is exactly what this drug is MEANT for. It is for people who have seen no results from SSRI medication and therapy. It is instead doled out to people who have never even taken an anti-depressant before, which I cannot get my head around. It's a very hardcore drug.
    eth0_, what condition were you prescribed this drug for? Were you misdiagnosed?

Not your ornery onager

eth0_ wrote:

It has it's problems, and few people contest that, but it is a very effective drug and this needs to be remembered. Some people have bad reactions to it, but you can say that about almost any anti-depressant given at moderately high doses. Other people have very few side effects and find the drug literally a life saver and compared to some anti-psychotics it's a relatively benign drug (not that that mitigates anything but it's useful sometimes to keep things in perspective).

Advising people not to take this drug isn't a good idea. It really is something that needs to be looked at on a case by case basis and untrained people, and often the patient themselves, are not in a position to actually judge whether this drug is suitable or not before it has actually been tried. The OP find this drug works for them, none of us can actually say anything to say she definitely will or won't, only time will tell.

esel wrote:
    eth0_, what condition were you prescribed this drug for? Were you misdiagnosed?

I wasn't misdiagnosed. It was for a mixture of depression and anxiety attacks. I had been on SSRI's several years previously.

The biggest issue I have with Efexor - and I have seen others point this out - is that the side effects can be very frightening and dangerous (thoughts of suicide), and this is not routinely pointed out by GP's. My own GP didn't prepare me for this drug at all. The risk of something going terribly wrong while on this drug are greatest in the first two months of administration, and I think patients should be closely monitored, perhaps seeing their doctor on a weekly basis to check BP and their state of mind.

IMO a drug like this should be prescribed by a psychiatrist, not a GP. A GP doesn't usually prescribe lithium or risperdal, and IMO efexor can be as dangerous in the wrong hands.

eth0_ wrote:
    Trust me man, at this stage it is near a last resort, apart from CBT i have tried everything but not only is it not getting any better, it seems to be getting worse. Ive been on them for about 3 weeks now and have had no bad side-affects but the good affects are kinda small. I went to my GP today to see if he knows anyone thats good at CBT and he is hopefully setting me up with someone who knows what theyre doing. I just wanna see even the slightest improvement and im happy for now. At present i cant even work so its pissin me off no end.

PS. I had more to type but its late and im tired so ill do it tommorow ;)

Nalced_irl wrote:
    Trust me man, at this stage it is near a last resort, apart from CBT i have tried everything but not only is it not getting any better, it seems to be getting worse. Ive been on them for about 3 weeks now and have had no bad side-affects but the good affects are kinda small.
    A couple of weeks are needed for the medication to kick in properly.

Their purpose is to take away the worst effects - you won't wake up feeling deliriously happy for the rest of your life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

anyone any experience with paroxetine? effexor seems to be a newer generation of ssri's and I would have thought they would be more effective or at least with lesser side effects. Are these basically the same drug?

Advertisement