Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efexor - Anxiety Medication

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm very, very unhappy about the stuff I'm reading re Efexor. I started taking 37.5g just over a week ago having been advised by my doctor that it's the mildest medication/dosage I could take. I get occasional episodes of anxiety/depression - usually when I'm on my own and have too much time to think. Other than that I'm absolutely fine. Maybe I shouldn't be taking anything at all and should just start working on my own thinking and doing stuff like yoga, meditation and focusing on diet/exercise. A couple of sessions of CBT might be in order.
    I was on Cipramil but that caused severe weight gain.
    I asked the doctor if there'd be many side effects and he confidently stated there'd be little to none. He's been my GP for years, I trust him, but it's just strange. Anyway I'm experiencing side effects all right - absolute and utter exhaustion (I slept in this morning despite having about eight and a half hours' sleep) and dry, flaky skin (Cipramil did the same) and now thrush (again, Cipramil caused that).
    It's only been a week and a bit but I don't want to continue. Ok, it takes a while for the side effects to wear off, but I'm worried I might start to experience more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Dudess wrote: »
    It's only been a week and a bit but I don't want to continue. Ok, it takes a while for the side effects to wear off, but I'm worried I might start to experience more...

Seriously, stick with it. It takes time for your system to adjust to the new medication and i found the benefits with Effexor far outweigh the side effects. It takes at least 3 - 4 to get any real benefit but maybe you could start to do the exercising/yoga/meditation as-well. I found its a combination of these things which help.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm very, very unhappy about the stuff I'm reading re Efexor. I started taking 37.5g just over a week ago having been advised by my doctor that it's the mildest medication/dosage I could take.

At that dosage level side effects shouldn't prove too much of a problem. The first four weeks can be nasty on any antidepressant but usually they go away after that point. Most of the really nasty side effects with Effexor (elevated blood pressure and pulse etc) start kicking in at over 250mg or over 300mg, so don't worry too much about them.

Don't be too quick to blame the drugs, the "side effects" might actually be symptoms of the illness the drugs are meant to treat etc. It can be very hard to tell one from another sometimes, especially with symptoms like tiredness etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The thing is, I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety nearly 12 years ago (and probably had it for a number of years before the diagnosis). I've been on and off anti-depressants ever since but my need for them seems to be lessening all the time. The most I'm experiencing now is, as I said above, occasional panicky thoughts when I think too much, and certain irrational negative thoughts. I don't know if I even need anti-depressants any more...
    The tiredness is affecting my work performance - it's definitely not part of my very mild anxiety/depressive disorder. I don't know if I could face another three weeks of this kind of exhaustion.

Talk to your doctor about it. Don't decide to just go off them yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

The most I'm experiencing now is, as I said above, occasional panicky thoughts when I think too much, and certain irrational negative thoughts. I don't know if I even need anti-depressants any more...
    The tiredness is affecting my work performance - it's definitely not part of my very mild anxiety/depressive disorder. I don't know if I could face another three weeks of this kind of exhaustion.

Hi Dudess, I also take effexor - 150mg per day. Side effects I have noticed are : memory loss, tiredness, realising I don't have a clue what I'm talking about in the middle of conversations [can be very embarrassing]. Also, if I forget to take a tablet within about 8 - 12 hours I feel really disorientated, dizzy and feel like there is a helicopter noise [or something like a bird flapping] in my ears. I never actually considered that it was from the medication and seemingly neither did my doctor as she sent me for an MRI on my brain because of these symptoms.

To be honest, or maybe I should say in my opinion, I don't really think anti depressants work unless there is an actual chemical imbalance in the persons head. I don't have a chemical imbalance but I have gotten very , very down in the past. But I would be down because of something - not just down for no reason ie if that person hadn't died or if I hadn't broken up with that guy I would have been grand. The correct treatment for me in those situations would have been some kind of therapy, exercise and proper diet. I hope I am explaining myself correctly.

The reason I still take effexor is that I was really, really crazy this time two years ago. I was in a massive amount of pain all the time and was taking maybe 15 -20 pills a day for it. I had been more or less housebound for about 6 - 8 months and couldn't cope with it at all. The doctor put me on anti depressants and I haven't come off them yet as I a bit afraid of going back to the state I was in 2 years ago. When I ask my doctor about coming off them she says stuff like I should leave it for the moment as it'd be terrible for me to end up being depressed again. A bit nuts the more I think about it.

For panic - and again I say this is what I think helps me - I think having 1 or even half a valium on me keeps panic attacks away. I know that if something happens I have something on me to control it. I never really need to actually take it but knowing it is there stops me panicking about panicking. Another thing that I read that I find works, when my head is swarming with a billion thoughts a second, is to stand near a busy road watching the traffic. For some reason it has a calming effect. Actually, if you can get to the sea a much as possible that is good too.

Anyway, thats what my experience is. Unfortunately, some of us have a little sadness in us - in some ways its kind of good as it can make you a more feeling person then again at other times it is a total pain in the ass.
    Hope you feel better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi All,

Been on the medication just under two weeks now and am feeling a bit 'odd' is only way can describe it. Feeling very shakey and trembly and jittery, dizzy spells, lightheadness. My sleeping was bad anyway but am now finding it near impossible to switch off and am even more panicky. Dont know if this is normal. Has anyone else experienced this? Not sure if I should go back to Doc or give it a bit more time, just gone thru 2 very horrible weeks and feel like am getting nowhere. I know no drug is a miracle cure but I actually feel worse now than I did. Maybe I should give it a little more time, I just dont know..........possibly it is the illness and not the drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Go back to your GP and have a chat with them, I can't remember the exact side effects for that paticular drug, I'm a psychotherapist so I don't need to carry all that info. However, I would suspect they are side effects your describing. The most important thing is to chat to your GP, he/she might leave you on them, change the dose or change you to a different med. You have started a process now so please don't stop because of the above. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jimpe

Tazzg wrote: »
    Hi All,

Been on the medication just under two weeks now and am feeling a bit 'odd' is only way can describe it. Feeling very shakey and trembly and jittery, dizzy spells, lightheadness. My sleeping was bad anyway but am now finding it near impossible to switch off and am even more panicky. Dont know if this is normal. Has anyone else experienced this? Not sure if I should go back to Doc or give it a bit more time, just gone thru 2 very horrible weeks and feel like am getting nowhere. I know no drug is a miracle cure but I actually feel worse now than I did. Maybe I should give it a little more time, I just dont know..........possibly it is the illness and not the drugs.

I posted earlier in the thread, I started on 75 mg Effexor XL about 5 weeks ago, first 3 or 4 days I felt like you're describing, but it passed after that. I didn't notice much improvement in my anxiety/panic for about 3 weeks, but I'm seeing definite improvements now. I no longer get anxious just sitting around the house, and I'm starting to do things/go places I haven't been able to in months. So I'm having a fairly positive experience so far. I'm also seeing a counsellor, and that's helping too. So talk to your doctor, but I found it took 3 weeks before it started kicking in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Cant wait to get off this stuff, roll on Wednesday when i see the consultant.I have been prescribed it for chronic fatigue and have been on it now for nearly 4 months.I didn't mind the immediate side effects as they passed quickly but now after a longer period my condition has worsened.I was on the small tablet form first 1 in the morn and 1 at night,then two in the morn and then onto XL format.I felt pretty good after a couple weeks on the XL but it was short lived, i even visited my GP to tell her how well i was feeling:(.
    I am absolutely knackered now much worse and feel like i have to lie down all the time, they just don't agree with me.As bad as my condition was before at least i had a bit up of get and go now and then, right now i'm numb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lilliput

I have just started taking it yesterday and man, was it a shock to my system. I haven't slept on the first night so hopefully I can get some shut eye tonight, I must say Im not as cranked as I was yesterday when I took the first pill, I am also on 75mg XR. I used to take Lexipro about two years ago for about 8 months but that didn't do anything for me, and also very hard to get off too.

I also drank a some alcohol last night too, to see if it would ease the side effects and man, bad idea, I was high as a kite, I looked and felt like I was on Shrooms or something. I haven't really eaten much either but this morning I force fed myself and then took my next pill of XR. I was under the understanding that their would be side effects, because when I first used the Lexipro I had a very bad time. So I knew what I was in for, But these are easier on me "I think" Im still restless and wired tho. I hope this stuff works after 3 -4 weeks.

Good Luck to everyone thats here in this thread and happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jimpe

My own experience of Effexor has been mostly positive, I've been taking 75 mg XL per day for almost 6 weeks now. The initial side effects were a real shock to the system, it was my first time taking any kind of medication like this. First couple of nights not being able to sleep, generally feeling crap etc. But these passed off pretty quickly.

I'm taking these for anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia, and I've noticed a huge improvement. I had got to a pretty bad place where I was having panic attacks sitting on the couch, lying in bed etc. Leaving the house was a struggle. I found driving very difficult, especially on wide roads where "escape" is difficult. But for the last few weeks, I've been pushing myself, I have been driving on motorways and dual carriageways without too much difficulty, something I haven't been able to do in more than a year. I still get a little anxious, in that I worry that I might get an attack, but it's very mild and so far, no panic attacks.

I've also cut out caffeine and alcohol, and am taking regular exercise, eating well, and cutting bck on work, so I think it's not just the pills, but a combination of things that's helping me.

I actually had a glass of wine about a week after starting on the tablets, very slowly, over 3 hours. I got an incredible headache, and I got no sleep that night it was so bad...I had a glass of wine about a week after that with no problems, but I haven't had a drink since, the leaflet advises against drinking with these pills, so it's probably better to heed that advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lilliput

Thanks for your input on the matter too, It's feels better knowing that there's other people out there on this and been able to view their thoughts. I'm a little better now, but I can't still sleep and my eating is gone completely. I feel completely drained. Today is my 4th day on them now. I hope these effects go away soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

Well after 3 years on Effexor Im finished, and absolutely delighted. Not that theyre a bad drug, it workd for me, but man Id bad side effects.

I actually shocked my doctor with how sick I was on coming off them, I was that ill. But Im rare, thank god. There may be a grain of truth in the horror stories floating around the internet but my mums on Effexor too and has had nothing like the reaction I did. So dont believe the stories and I hope it works for you guys starting off on it and helps ye! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i am coming down from 40mg seroxit, after 2 years,and putting on a ****load of weight, plus i have a mobility problem, i am feeling terrible, on friday i am going on 150 mg efexor in the mornings, not looking forward to the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 indigoangel

i was lucky enough to avoid having to take drugs by the skin of my teeth! i really didn't want to take anxiety medicine and luckily with a combination of counselling, NLP, aura-soma, eating right and determination i've pulled through very difficult times.

the most amazing thing i've discovered is getting your diet right for anxiety. cutting out lots of sugars, too many carbohydrates, alcohol & caffeine is absolutely essential. blood sugar problems and anxiety go hand and hand, not a single person was able to tell me this, despite how valuable the information is! i figured it out myself and looked it up on the web. there are extensive articles on the internet with information if you wish to look it up :) i now know that my anxiety comes mainly from blood sugar crashes and the resulting high levels of adrenalin when i eat badly, and the evidence of my recovery has been more than enough to convince me.

if anyone wants to know more i will gladly share, i don't want to delve into the whole thing here and make a long boring post, i just thought that since i found it absolutely VITAL to my own recovery it may also help someone else out there too :)

How are peoples experience with Effexor withdrawal symptoms? I was diagnosed it for chronic fatigue but i got zero benefits.I weened myself off it (Doctor approved of course) over the last few weeks down to 37.5mg and i took my last dose Saturday morning.I feel like absolute shlte now, terrible nausea,dizzyness,brain buzzes etc not pretty at all.Of course, it was worth a shot taking it to see if it improved my condition but the withdrawal symptoms are crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ They shouldn't last for long.

Not your ornery onager

padi89 wrote: »
    Of course, it was worth a shot taking it to see if it improved my condition but the withdrawal symptoms are crazy.

They're a once off. Once they end you'll never feel anything again.

Ta for the replys, all going well so it'll ease off in the coming days.

• Advertisement

Ta for the replys, all going well so it'll ease off in the coming days.

Yeah it got easier every day for me. Honestly, I had migraines for a month after stopping (every other symptom went away pretty quickly), but I was coming down from a large dose (300mg) which might have had something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 koq

So happy i found this thread!

I started this med today (i suffer from panic attacks) after being on cipramil for 2 months, the cipramil had me on edge a lot + i was using diazepam aswell but in most cases i was going over my daily allowance to bring myself back to normal (normal as in calm + un-tense)

I had been on a course of lexapro for a while last year, i thought it worked very well but in my case i had serious weight gain as a bad side effect..

I'll check this thread out in a while + update how i am after being on Efexor after a few weeks, as i don't think i can judge it after half a day

Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i have been given a higher dose, up to 225mg of xl, i will report back next week, i my time fighting the black, i have found out that too low a dose is worse than too much

Pretty much sums it up nesf.The worst seems to have passed but i still feel pretty bad.There is improvement but it is very slow maybe a generous 3-5% per day so its obvious it takes time to leave your system.My pupils are still tiny and don't seem to change with light or viewing distance, i presume this is why you get those nasty shocks through your brain and body.I had been on 225mg before tapering so it was a pretty high dose.I got caught in a thunderous downpour earlier, the rain felt so refreshing after being so ill the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Venlafaxine (Effexor) is completely washed out from your system after three days. It is possible that the sysmtoms experienced after stopping are caused by your brain adjusting to the absence of the drug.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Venlafaxine (Effexor) is completely washed out from your system after three days. It is possible that the sysmtoms experienced after stopping are caused by your brain adjusting to the absence of the drug.

Sounds about right to me probably whilst tapering is best.Having said that if it is gone out of your system after 3 days then there are no possibles with my withdrawal, coming off Effexor is definitely to blame for mushing my system.:D

Sounds about right to me probably whilst tapering is best.Having said that if it is gone out of your system after 3 days then there are no possibles with my withdrawal, coming off Effexor is definitely to blame for mushing my system.:D

Drugs with a short half life (i.e. out of your system quickly) are more likely to have withdrawal symptoms. Nicotine is similar in half life to Effexor if I recall correctly.

Hello again,
    So just to update as i haven't posted in a bit.I was really rough for about a week with terrible withdrawals.Things have settled to the point now where its just similar to having flu symptoms,shivers,aches,dizzy..you know the rest.So there is a little improvement everyday but it is very slow.I reckon another few weeks and things will be back to...well.... normal for me:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ugliest

So are people, by and large, being perscribed effexor for anxiety/cfs/other things?

:s

-i was under the impression before that it was pretty much a straight up snri best at treating depression.

Weird, cos i was on this for a while+they never mentioned anything bout it treating anxiety aswell (which they only started treating in me years later!), most people i've known who've taken it, it was just for depression+nothing else... Anyone else with the HSE? They perscribe funny things for funny things.

Oh, and btw, I've read before that the withdrawl from effexor is one of the worst ones....which i whole-heartedly agree with. So for anyone coming off it, fairplay and good luck :D

(That withdrawl you get if you miss a days dose is essentially the worst of it (if it affects you), was reeeeally nasty for me, way worse than anything else i've come off, so if you're getting off it, you'll be getting off one of the worst ones, hell of a lot of strength in you so :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 nimble75

I've been on Effexor XL for over 4 years, and it was doing me some good though I was still getting depressed, and I was on quite a high dosage of it (300mg/day).
    Then last February I found out about this little device called the Alpha Stim SCS, I bought one and started using it for a couple of hours every day, and after 5 days of using it everything brightened up. I use it for twenty minutes every three or four days now.
    It has totally changed my life, now the depression and anxiety is minimal and I'm only on 150mg of Effexor now. My thinking is clear and my energy levels are way up. I also only sleep 8-9 hours a night now whereas I used to sleep at least 12 hours a night.

I'm hoping that over the next year or so I'll be able to come off the meds completely.

Being on a pile of meds is no fun, headaches, sickness etc.. and I was getting numbness in my arms and legs too which has disappeared since I cut the dose down. I also recommend quitting caffeine (tea coffee etc.) as it interacts in a bad way with antidepressants and causes anxiety etc.

Hope this helps someone, depression is an awful illness.

Advertisement