Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efexor - Anxiety Medication

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was on Lexapro and then Efexor for depression but neither had much of an effect. I continued to have low mood and mood swings and was feeling suicidal on a regular basis.

Finally i was admitted to a psych ward after admitting i was suicidal to my mother. I had never acted on suicidal thoughts though. I was changed to Solian for the treatment of schizophrenia and i've been slowly improving since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Ive been taking 75 mg of Efexor XL since My. The only real problem Ive had is i developed a couple of rashs and have been sweating profusly. I need to change my bed clothes every 3 days. On one ocasion I forgot to take my dosage and spent the next day completely Fcuked. Not able to do a thing

Im being treated for depression and had difficulties sleepinhg proir to being put on Efexor. I visited my GP on Thursday. Told him I was still having problemd sleeping. He refused to prescribe me sleeping pills saying that I was to young/ Im 26. Instead he upped my dosage to 150 mg. Iv spent the last two days feeling numb, groggy, light headed, weak at the knees and slightly incoherent. Im hoping that this post makes some sence.

Im very worried about the side ffects of coming off this medication. I do not want to be on it long term. I explained this to my GP all he could say was how he thought it was strange that people have no problem being on valium of sleeping tables long term. But dont like the idea of bein on AD long term. If I still feel like sh1t tuesday. Im going to go back and ask him to drop the dosage back down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ugliest

I hate that kind of attitude :mad:

It's so different with anti-anxiety/sleeping meds. For the one thing, the effect is instant+you can taper your own doseage so much easier+you actually KNOW when you need/don't need it! (You can actually have control over whether you take them or not a bit)

(Depending on your diagnosis etc.) Sometimes you have to be on ad's 2 years AFTER you feel okay. That's a lot of powerful chemicals in your body, giving you nasty side effects for a long time. My friend went off effexor after 2-3 years because she was so sick of the sweating thing/other side effects of it. It's a quality of life thing too! There are (imo anyway) a lot less side effects from valium or rivotril or stuff.

One time when i was going back on effexor my doc would only increase me be 37.5mgs a time and even then it was still tricky.

Did you have much trouble going on it in the first place? First time i did i was in bits for weeks, with the nausea (the only med that's actually made me throw up, not just threatened it), the grogginess and all the other wonderful fun things bout going on a new drug. If you're still feeling dodgy after about two weeks do go to your doc, otherwise try and tough it out, it's a heavy drug but if it works for you, stick with it. The withdrawl is....one of the worst, i think it has a pretty good half life though so after a few days it's grand.

No one wants to be on drugs long term :( feels like you're carrying around a stigma/self-pitying attitude or something, waaaaaaaaaay bigger stigma attached to depression than insomnia.

Have you tried any other meds? Lexapro+cipramil are usually pretty standard ones to start with (ssri's), (effexor is an snri).

Sleeping pills+anxiety meds are pretty addictive so any doctor worth his salt should be reluctant to give them out (i've come across some fairly dodgy ones, who at 18 were asking me what i thought my does should be..).

Sounds like you've got some pretty bad stuff going on at the minute, if you haven't already try asking your doc about counselling, even a couple of sessions can help clear stuff up that's troubling you.....bleh, sorry, all obvious stuff, but stuff a lot of people don't actually ask about.

Some people can come off ad's after 6 months, stick with it+remember it's better to get all this schtuff sorted out whille you're still young+can still go out and enjoy life.

Loads of luck!

Yes I had problems for the first few days, when I went on onitially. But I dont think it was nessaery to increase the doasge this much. I was hoping to come off it soon. I have no problem speaking about my depression and do not feel stigmatised or feel sorry for myself. If anything I worry that people will feel sorry for me it I tell them I have depression. When I got up this morning I spoke to two of my house mates. Both belived I had been drinking this morning and were shocked when I explained to them that i HADNT BEEN i ALSO HAVE A VEary bad case of the shakes

Edit? No I havemny been on ny other medication

Since it comes in caps it's kind of standard to go from 75 to 150 (i only had to go so slow cos it killed me so much the first time), i know people who split it up, 75 in the morning, 75 at night, you could ask if that's an option.

I do sympathise with you, it's a horrible horrible feeling :(

the things we gotta do to feel good, or even just normal.

Imo it's pretty unusual to go straight to effexor though. Most doc's try people out on prozac or lexapro or cipramil first. A lot easier to go on+stay on. Do you think it's working for you, at the 75 dose?

If you can't sleep because of some recent bad happening+it's been a few days+you're going crazy, ask again. But if there's no specific thing that's got you in a tizzy, probably best to just make some changes in your life, cut caffeine out of your diet, get as much sugar out of your diet as possible, less carbs more green stuff, (all affect your mood more than you realise untill you actually do it for a few months) exercise for endorphines and all that. Even keeping a diary type thing where you right down everything single thing in your head last thing before bed helps.

It's really hard to do anything positive for yourself when you feel so bad.

I'm sorry to say that horrible shakes thing isn't unusual, it does go away in a few days though, duvet day for ya, watch some films, relax+try not to think about things.

Not every drug works for everyone, if you think it's working for you stick with it, but if it's been a few months+you're still not comfortable staying on it/increasing and increasing.....do ask your doc about other drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

starn, I hope you told your doctor about the rash (you said you got a couple). It's a cause for some concern, and it's best that the doctor is aware of this reaction. I presume you are on the XR version? The regular (non-XR) version can cause nausea at the start (first tablet, or first one after even a couple of days of missed doses). Afaik, you can get a 37.5mg capsule, so you could consider asking for a 112.5mg dose rather than 150mg.

Benzodiazapines (most sleeping tablets and anti-anxiety medications) become very addictive after a relatively short time of regular use, and can be very difficult to come off. I think your doctor is right to be reluctant to prescribe them. Sleep difficulty is common in depression; hopefully the Effexor will help with this.

Coming off Effexor has to be done gradually, by tapering the dose. Do not stop abruptly. The reason for the bad effects experienced when stopping is because the drug has a very short half-life (it's completely gone from your system in 3 days), so your body has to adjust its own regulation of serotonin and noradrenaline very quickly.

I'm pretty sure I've said it on this thread before: I am not a doctor, or involved in medecine or pharmaceutics in any way, just posting from my own experience.

Not your ornery onager

No I havent told my docter about the rash. I assumed it was just a heat rash on my theigh. It was only when I was looking thru the side effects earlier today I puty the two together. I dont think my sleep problem is related yo my depression and I donr think it was nessary to double my dosage, which I tried to explain to my docter. But he wasnt having any of it

I think I mentioned earlier that I had my dosage uped from 75 to 150 mg last week. The increase has left me tierd, woozey and unable to focus on anything for very long. I want to go down to him tomorrow and get a prescription for a lower dosage. But Im worried a bout the withdrawl sysytoms associated with my dosage beng halfed has anyone any prior exsperiance with it. Is it really that bad

You could go down to 112.5mg first and see how you do on that dosage. You should be sure to tell the doctor about how the drug is affecting you, as it might be the case that a different medication might suit you better. If this is the case, you will have to taper off the venlafaxine (Effexor).

Not your ornery onager

As esel said. Dunno if you'll get to read this before you go to the doctor, reducing your dose gradual shouldn't give you any problems. I *think* they only have caps in 75 mg and 150 mg, but they definitely have tabs you can half. If it's really hell then you'll know you should come off it, but if you can push past it, more than likely your body will have adapted by next week. I don't remember having too much hassle reducing my dose as long as you do it slowly. Reducing by 25%-50% a week is usually grand (imo, different for everyone though). Cold turkey is not fun. Sounds tired+played out, but if your mood *did* seem under control at 75mg you might be better off trying something herbal or relaxation techniques or something. Talk to your doc about whether a diff ad might suit you though, no harm in finding out. Best of luck today.

• Advertisement

Couldnt get a appointment for today. But if anyone intrested here's the side effects so far

Rash - Right leg and Elbows
    Increased Sweating
    Hearthburn
    Naussea
    Woozyness
    Numbness left side of face

starn wrote:
    Increased Sweating
    Hearthburn
    Naussea
    Woozyness

The sweating, nausea, wooziness and heartburn are pretty standard, but the numbness and rash are alarm bells.

Could it be anything else causing them (perhaps something to do with the sweat around your joints)?

Sounds like you may be having a bad reaction to the drug if not and should get to a doc as soon as possible. For your own peace of mind go, sounds like you're getting pretty anxioud about it.

Honestly, sounds like you feel dreadful physically, but how are you mentally? It's really distracting, i know, when you feel so run-down, but how's your mood? That's why you went on it to begin with.

Hope you feel better soon, you will, hope it's not too hard for you untill then though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

starn wrote: »
    Couldnt get a appointment for today. But if anyone intrested here's the side effects so far

Increased Sweating
    Hearthburn
    Naussea
    Woozyness

Ring your consultant immediately and irrespective of whether he/she has an appointment, make them aware of the side effects you are experiencing.

Right so. Dosage halfed and a couple of days of withdrawl. :( But the side numbness in the left side of my face and other side effects have started to ease.

Just curious to know what other exsperiances everyone else has had on Efexor

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Starn,
    I was prescribed Efexor a couple of months ago and was feeling a bit 'odd'. Was very shakey and trembly and jittery, dizzy spells, lightheaded. My sleep was worse than before and a bit more panicky.
    But, there is light at the end of the tunnel! I stuck with the medication and am now feeling better than I have in a long time! I cant get over the difference in me within a few short months! I am better able to cope, and have a sense of normality to some degree back in my life. I am so much happier than I had been.
    While I did have a hard time in the first few weeks on the medication, I can honestly say it definately does get better.
    I have recently had some bad news in my life (since being on Efexor) and can honestly say that if I hadnt been on this medication I do not know how I would have reacted and dealt with things. So if you can, do try and stick with it. For me it really has improved things so much.
    And just a quick thank you to all the other guys out there who offered me advice and insight when I first started on this medication. Greatly appreciated and helped so much when things were not going so well. My heartfelt thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I've been on Effexor for the last 2 years. Started off at 75mgs, then 150, then 225mg. I only took 225 briefly as I thought it was prescribed way too easily. Anyway, for most of the 2 years I've been on 150mg..I've wanted to come off it for quite a while but my old Dr kept saying I needed to stay on it . She has now left the surgery I attend. I went to a new dr last Thurs and she agreed to start to ween me off it.
    I am now taking 75mg + 37.5mg tablets in the morning so its a drop from 150 to 112.5mg. I feel absolutely SH*T. Vomiting, sweating, electric shocks in my head, flu like, sneezing like mad, eyes red and really itchy. Horrible night sweats..feel like I'm in a sort of coma.
    Has anyone else been through this and does it stop? I'm more determined than ever to come off them now as God only knows what they must be doing to my system. Scarey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

starn wrote: »
    Just curious to know what other exsperiances everyone else has had on Efexor
    I was on 225mg Effexor for depression, as well as 2mg Risperdal for paranoia (I've subsequently been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder). The Risperdal worked great at the start, but its side effects were horrible. I never really had any side-effects from Effexor; the only one I can remember was that I used wake up early in the morning - 8am or 9am compared to my usual 11am. After three months I was changed to Cipramil and Zyprexa. I find this combination much more tolerable and effective. It's hard to say whether it's the antidepressant or the anti-psychotic.

Cipramil is an SSRI, whereas Effexor is an SNRI. I know that they're generally given in reverse - SSRIs first, then SNRIs. With me, however, I find the Cipramil better than Effexor.

littlefriend, afaik the capsule is XR (extended release) but the tablet is not. If taking tablets only, they are prescribed twice a day, if I remember correctly. It is possible that if you are taking both together, the amount in your system is dropping too low before the 24 hour period is up.

It might be a good idea to go back to your doctor and discuss this with them. Ask about the possibilities of: going on tablets only, and taking equal doses twice a day, or having the pharmacist making up 112.5mg XR capsules for you to take once a day.

Not your ornery onager

Esel - thanks for that - you are right. I think I'll discuss it with the pharmacist before going to the Dr. I think the Dr would probably put me on something else to help my withdrawal symptoms! I actually feel a bit better today. I got some lemsip because I felt really fluey and my nose was sinuses were driving me mental. They really helped me this evening.
    Thanks for the advice - really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

That reminds me - when I was on 225mg Effexor, I was taking 150mg in the morning and 75mg in the afternoon/evening. I got this change (from just 225mg in the morning) after discussing it with my psychiatrist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I've been on Effexor for the last 2 years. Started off at 75mgs, then 150, then 225mg. I only took 225 briefly as I thought it was prescribed way too easily. Anyway, for most of the 2 years I've been on 150mg..I've wanted to come off it for quite a while but my old Dr kept saying I needed to stay on it . She has now left the surgery I attend. I went to a new dr last Thurs and she agreed to start to ween me off it.
    I am now taking 75mg + 37.5mg tablets in the morning so its a drop from 150 to 112.5mg. I feel absolutely SH*T. Vomiting, sweating, electric shocks in my head, flu like, sneezing like mad, eyes red and really itchy. Horrible night sweats..feel like I'm in a sort of coma.
    Has anyone else been through this and does it stop? I'm more determined than ever to come off them now as God only knows what they must be doing to my system. Scarey

Hi, i was in the same situation as you, just go back a couple pages.I was taking it though for only 3/4 months but a high does 225mg.Anyhoo....yup coming off it for me was horrible, the zaps were the worst.Luckily i was not working at that time as there was no way i could go in.The worst of it for me lasted around 2 weeks, a small improvement each day but you get there.For me it was roughly 6 weeks by the time i felt the symptoms subsided.

Jesus Christ, the withdrawal from this is horrendous. I don't even know where to start trying to explain it. I hope I start feeling better soon. I'm not sure I can handle a long drawn out tapering down of it - would it be much worse just to stop taking it? The thought of feeling like this for a month or 6 weeks or whatever is freaking me out.

Im very worried about what is going to happen me when I have to come off this. Hope you are ok little friend. My dosage was only upped for a few days and one week later after having it dropped Im still lying in bed. Im suppoded to sit collage exams in three weeks,

Starn, let the college know. Go in to your college gp and explain the situation, exact same thing happened to me. It was effexor making me so ill, come exam day i was so bad doc told me there was no way i could sit the exam+i got them deferred.

Different colleges have different systems, but if you are still suffering, get a note from any doc+they'll usually accept that.

Other times i've actually been exempt from certain things <---i didn't ask to be, but when they found out what was going on, that was their choice.

Also, is there anyway you can contact your course co-ordinator? Do they know you've been having problems?

In my experience, esp if you have a doctors note, college's tend to be very understanding with regard these matters.

Feels pathetic+embarrassing before you do it, but once you tell them, they keep it confidential, they HAVE had people do it before, it's a legitimate illness and you're trying your best. For the most part colleges want you to succeed so will go that extra mile for you if they know you really want it+are having problems.

Littlefriend, yeh, it reeeeeeeeeeally is one of the worst withdrawls out there. If i remember right it's a fairly intense thing for a few days, but in about a week or two it's over. (in the first few days it's really really the worst, by the end of the week you might still be groggy, but able to function)

Titrating up...try stick with it.. it get's a little easier every day, but when you do get there, it's pretty amazing the difference. Felt unbelievably high while i was on effexor, didn't half kill me to get there, but it was worth it when i did.

Best of luck to everyone.x

Thanks Ugliest. I already had them defereed in May. So I really need to try and sit them this time and best of luck littlefriend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

esel wrote: »
    or having the pharmacist making up 112.5mg XR capsules for you to take once a day.

not possible im afraid. the 37.5 mg only comes in a tablet form, non-xl. the xl capsules cant be broken, so the only way to take 112.5 mg a day is the xl75mg plus non xl 37.5, or else take the whole lot in non xl form.

How are you getting on Starn?
    I thought I was doing better yesterday but I actually crawled up the stairs to bed at 7.30. Everything was spinning and I wanted to throw up, really itchy too. Also I'm having really violent dreams - as in I'm being violent in them which isn't really like me!
    I may have mentioned this before but I seem to be ok til around 3pm and it all goes downhill after that. I guess its because the non-xr drug has worn off?
    I went to the health food shop yesterday and the nutritionist there told me she had been on effexor for years and that physically it is more addictive than heroin. She gave me a good fish oil, vit b and valerian. She kept saying don't give up and to take it slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I went to the health food shop yesterday and the nutritionist there told me she had been on effexor for years and that physically it is more addictive than heroin.

in all fairness thats a ridiculous statement for her to make, and is quite irresponsible and actually dangerous.

sam34 wrote: »
    in all fairness thats a ridiculous statement for her to make, and is quite irresponsible and actually dangerous.

Yes I did consider this before posting - she was probably exaggerating to make a point, however, then I remembered reading that the physical symptoms of heroin withdrawal are relatively short - its the psychological addiction that causes the real problem.

Anyway, I'm just writing what was said to me. Presumably, she was exaggerating to make a point. It is interesting though that ppl are advised to come off heroin cold turkey whereas one is advised to reduce effexor gradually. That is probably due to the difference in adverse affects of each drug. This may not make sense, my brain is in a bit of a fog at the moment. Just food for thought I suppose..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I went to the health food shop yesterday and the nutritionist there told me she had been on effexor for years and that physically it is more addictive than heroin.

Nutritionists should stick to topics that they have some basic scientific understanding of to be honest.

Advertisement