Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there still only 9 starbucks in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I was in Madrid a couple of weeks ago and it was frightening how many Starbucks there are there. You literally could see one on just about every street. Only a matter of time before Dublin is the same. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

BendiBus wrote: »
    Starbucks opened in Dublin Airport about a month ago.

Were is it in the airport...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Dub13 wrote: »
    Were is it in the airport...?

Upstairs, foodhall, landside. Opposite end from O'Briens & McDonalds

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

BendiBus wrote: »
    Upstairs, foodhall, landside. Opposite end from O'Briens & McDonalds

Thanks I may check it out,I only had a Starbucks once and it was not great I may give them one more chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

zaph wrote: »
    I was in Madrid a couple of weeks ago and it was frightening how many Starbucks there are there. You literally could see one on just about every street. Only a matter of time before Dublin is the same. :(

Spend a day wandering around London and you'll be terrified by the amount of Starbucks. Surely there's a saturation point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There's one currently being built on Dawson Street, Cafe en Seine side, further away from the green.

And, there's a franchise in the building I work in in Sandyford too.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

None on the Northside? Where do you think the IFSC and Blanch are?

I think people mean the city centre. It is a pity there are none near Henry st. But you have costa and O'Briens and Insomnia in this area. Was in New York a few weeks ago and there is nearly one outlet on each block. How they actually amke money when they compete against each other is mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

there is actually 5 in Blanchardstown

The Ebay Building has one + the four mentioned above!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

giddyup wrote: »
    The franchises aren't worth a ****e. Don't know how they manage it but the stuff they serve up where I work is not the same as the stuff you get in the normal high street stores. Don't know how they manage it becuase I'm pretty sure they use the same ingredients / syrup etc but it ain't the same.

True story, the one is DCU is AWFUL.

I've actually given up getting stuff there, they've put the wrong syrups into the coffees and even the hot chocolate loads of times. The only good thing about them is they have the nice Starbucks cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Plus the fact that they don't compete against one another. Starbucks don't franchise as far as I know, Magic Johnson was given the right to open some in poor neighbourhoods but think that's the only exception to the rule i've heard of, so they basically own them all and when you own them all and you've largely blasted the competition away and also control a huge amount of the worlwide coffee production you can just increase your prices because people don't have an alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sandraf

I only noticed a new starbucks in Dawson Street the other day. Could be there for a while as I haven't been there - should be nice as its just off the always busy grafton st.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jambr

I really dont know why everyone is going crazy for Starbucks coffee.... its awful dishwater. Must be just a fashion thing with people who dont know what real coffee tastes like. Cannot believe they are popular in Madrid bet its just the kids and tourists that drink it there. The Spanish love their strong coffee. In Dublin you can get great coffee in any of the Dunne & Crescenzi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sandraf wrote: »
    I only noticed a new starbucks in Dawson Street the other day. Could be there for a while as I haven't been there - should be nice as its just off the always busy grafton st.

I think you noticed it on the opening day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

There's a new one in the Blanch centre as well. Just in beside Ben and Jerrys at the UCI.

Dunno how many that makes now...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Mr.S wrote: »
    it opened a week before christmas

which is when he posted funnily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

read somewhere that the Coombe hospital is going to get one soon so that all the nervous expectant fathers can get their caffine fixes while they wait for their partners to deliver the goods!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

dublin zoo sells starbucks coffee,think it's a franchise tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

punchdrunk wrote: »
    dublin zoo sells starbucks coffee,think it's a franchise tho

Yeah it is, really horrible too. Got a caramel machiatto in there once, it just tasted like watery dirt with milk, sugar and a sad excuse for caramel :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

At this rate the GPO will be getting one next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Well there was a plan to turn the GPO's courtyard into a coffee shop for the museum proposal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

there are loads of starbucks in Dublin now i think:

BT2 Grafton St
    Dundrum (Hughes+Hughes & 2nd floor)
    Blackrock
    Dalkey
    Mespil Road
    Shelbourne Road
    Harcourt St
    Dame St
    CHQ Shopping Centre
    IFSC Exchange House
    Beacon Sandyford
    Blanchardstown (New Look, Pavillion, Odeon, Leisureplex)
    Swords Pavillion
    Dawson St
    Malahide

I wish they'd open one in Dun Laoghaire!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

This thread hasn't had a reply in nearly two years!

On topic: The Starbucks in Ranelagh shut down recently, they've pretty much removed any evidence of it ever being there as they usually do! Wasn't there long, must have done very badly...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

beauty101 wrote: »
    there are loads of starbucks in Dublin now i think:

BT2 Grafton St
    Dundrum (Hughes+Hughes & 2nd floor)
    Blackrock
    Dalkey
    Mespil Road
    Shelbourne Road
    Harcourt St
    Dame St
    CHQ Shopping Centre
    IFSC Exchange House
    Beacon Sandyford
    Blanchardstown (New Look, Pavillion, Odeon, Leisureplex)
    Swords Pavillion
    Dawson St
    Malahide

I wish they'd open one in Dun Laoghaire!!!

Agreed, Its not as if there isnt room for one. GTI closed down years ago, and Costa Coffee isnt the same

then again, it is Dun Laoghaire....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

The Tallaght Starbucks closed 2 months ago as well. It was a nice spot to get a coffee early in the morning if you happened to be stuck in the place for some reason :(

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Linku wrote: »
    This thread hasn't had a reply in nearly two years!

On topic: The Starbucks in Ranelagh shut down recently, they've pretty much removed any evidence of it ever being there as they usually do! Wasn't there long, must have done very badly...

Starbucks in general wasnt making money so they had to shut a few premises down mainly new stores. Some friends work for Starbucks and informed me of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i think the one in ranelagh probably didn't do very well because there are so many lovely coffee shops in the area, i'd say it took a real hit when the market opened too.
    i used to love it but the 5minute walk down to harcourt street is grand - helps make a dent in the calories!

Agreed, Its not as if there isnt room for one. GTI closed down years ago, and Costa Coffee isnt the same

then again, it is Dun Laoghaire....

Dun Laoghaire is such a bad place to set up a business at the moment I think. Look at all of the empty shops. I'm not sure a starbucks would do well there.

There was talk of the one in Dalkey closing down a couple of months back as they weren't making any money. I wonder if there is truth in this?

As for the one in Blackrock, it's never particularly busy. I've only really been in it at lunch time so maybe it's busier in the mornings?? Such a waste of a beautiful building. Would have made a fabulous restaurant overlooking the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

Dun Laoghaire is such a bad place to set up a business at the moment I think. Look at all of the empty shops. I'm not sure a starbucks would do well there.

I beg to differ, I go to SCD in Dun Laoighaire + if there was one nearby I would go there everyday, as would alot of the staff + students. Single handedly we could make it survive!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

The DCU one was the first in Ireland, I remember being told this by some head lecturer guy at our first lecture. Embarassing stuff. Never frequented it in my 4 years there, hated the pricks who would walk into class 15 minutes late with a huge starbucks cup. They were 15 minutes late but they still had time to grab an overpriced latte? Could they not have waited another 45 minutes?

:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement