Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iron Shots of the Tea

• 16-06-2007 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭

Just looking for some advice or pointers.

When i use an Iron of the tea, i always get far to much height in my shots, more then i know i should be. I was down i the driving range this morning just trying a couple of things, but no matter what, still the same result :(

Anyone know what i might be doing wrong or could do to improve it.

I normally have the tea tight in the ground.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

:D use a tee?:D

or more seriously, try to hit down in the ball more to let the loft of the iron create the correct launch angle and arc. although you are going to hit it high enough with any iron off the tea unless you try to deliberately hit it lower. what is your standard shot? if you tend to come across the ball and fade it then this will tend to pop up your irons shots to the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

:eek: Sweet Jesus!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

If you hit your iron shots too high off the tee but not off the fairway I would assume it is because you are teeing the ball up too high. Tee it down much lower so that it is just barely sitting up above the ground. I would try this first before trying to alter your swing. The tees at the driving range tend to be quite hight too because they are designed for hitting drivers off.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Par72 wrote:
    If you hit your iron shots too high off the tee but not off the fairway I would assume it is because you are teeing the ball up too high. Tee it down much lower so that it is just barely sitting up above the ground. I would try this first before trying to alter your swing. The tees at the driving range tend to be quite hight too because they are designed for hitting drivers off.

well this would have been my first point of call except that he clearly says he doesn't do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

I guess don't use a tee at all then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

"If you can tee the ball up and guarantee a sweet strike, why the hell wouldnt you use one when you can!!"

Quote from Gary player when asked wether or not to use tees of par 3's.

I notice two problems with most golfers that cause this. First I would ask what you play of and your natural shot shape so i can assess more.

But.

A) Usually tee'd up too high. The tee head should be pretty much level with the ground if only barely above, the tee is only to give a tiny lift of the ground to guarantee a solid strike. The leading edge of an iron is designed to cut through ground and glide along the surface. If this part of the clubhead is striking the wooden tee, your going to strike the ball above the sweetspot ( or middle of face) and giving you a higher trajectory.

B) If you naturally hit a fade this is usually caused by an out to in swing plane, or the clubface being open at impact. If you have a tee in the ground and the ball elevated, your going to be nipping the ball right on the bud, causing more height.

Advertisement