Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do I get when I BUY MOBILE BROADBAND on 3pay

• 16-06-2007 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

I decided to try this out so I got the confirmation that I've been billed €5.99 for 100 MB (max 30 days) access to Mobile Broadband. Plus I got age verified.

So what do I get?

Opera Mini won't work. I installed through PC and the data connection doesn't seem to work. When I go to download gmail, the server doesn't recognise my phone, tjen I get a message saying information is being directed to another server, then "invalid application"

To be frank, I don't know if Mobile Broadband is actually activated yet or not. The shop lady said it would take 2 hours and it's now 4. Can someone give me a definitive test to see if it is activated? Then I could troubleshoot the handset.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you describe a situation where nothing works. this means the 3pay mobile broadband add-on is working. its routed through a proxy that blocks everything except http access through the built in browser. no third party applications, no using as a modem.

i was planning to use it but in the end i gave up because it was too frustrating. the last thing i did with it was try to load www.boards.ie. it took 312 seconds (just over 5 minutes for those who don't feel like calculating). its nothing to do with the speed of the network, its the fcuking pointless proxy slowing everything down and restricting everything for no reason whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I was on billpay, and 3 could not get mine to work properly. After a week I just gave up and returned the phone. Utterly useless. They were not even able to give me an estimate as to when it would work.

Ended up being a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

im on billpay and it works great, delighted with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Cyrus wrote:
    im on billpay and it works great, delighted with it

i second that

davton wrote:
    i second that
    yeah the bill pay one is good but not worth putting up with the drones in mumbai imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

yeah the bill pay one is good but not worth putting up with the drones in mumbai imo

they make the old scots look good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The scots were good, I would switch back to O2 or Meteor if they could provide the following:
    A package for €30/mo (inc VAT).
    200 voice minutes
    5c texts
    Free Voicemail
    30c flat rate to other nets and a landline
    30c or less to own-net numbers.
    A capped data allowance.
    Basically, the same stuff I get with 3. I am willing to overlook the craptastic customer care, for what I get right now. Vodafone, nor O2, could doubtfully do me an equivilent deal, and even then, I am stuck with them until I can break the contract and get my phone unlocked.

And I love the bill-pay 100Meg mobile broadband. Works 100%, need to install Opera Mini though, the web browser on the N73 cannot handle boards.ie (it just crashes) though other sites work fine. I have never had any problems using my phone as a modem, except for the odd glitch between my macbook and phone which results in the mac not being able to "dial up". Could be a 3 thing, but I think its just an incompatibility between the phone and computer (oh well).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

There seems lots of praise for the Broadband on Billpay

However my question related to 3pay

It woul seem that the Mobile Broadband is activated now, but I CANNOT use either Opera Mini or gmail. If anyone has got these to work with 3pay, on either a Nokia 6233 or N73 please let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Give up,it doesn't work,i tried it and came to a conclusion thats its a pile of poo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

yapyap wrote:
    There seems lots of praise for the Broadband on Billpay

However my question related to 3pay

It woul seem that the Mobile Broadband is activated now, but I CANNOT use either Opera Mini or gmail. If anyone has got these to work with 3pay, on either a Nokia 6233 or N73 please let me know.

As mentioned *loads* of times before in other threads - 3pay broadband won't accept third-party software or https, ftp, smtp, etc. Only http connections.

• Advertisement

damo86 wrote:
    Give up,it doesn't work,i tried it and came to a conclusion thats its a pile of poo!
    my thoughts exactly. but only if you're talking about 3pay. the bill pay one is very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

so am i gettin this right, the bill pay one allows u to use appz like skype and the ready to go equivalent doesnt ?

j4vier wrote:
    so am i gettin this right, the bill pay one allows u to use appz like skype and the ready to go equivalent doesnt ?
    correct

what i dont undestand is why am i not allowed to use the phone that i want ( eg the n95 that i already have) and just pay for the service.
    i saw some phones dont cost anything if u subscribe to the pay monthly option , could it not be possible to order it that way and then use the sim card in the phone that i want? can they trace the model of the phone?

j4vier wrote:
    what i dont undestand is why am i not allowed to use the phone that i want ( eg the n95 that i already have) and just pay for the service.
    i saw some phones dont cost anything if u subscribe to the pay monthly option , could it not be possible to order it that way and then use the sim card in the phone that i want? can they trace the model of the phone?
    you can do that. they say they'll block the account if you use another phone but that's one of many untrue things they say

but if they block the account then i wont be forced to pay for the rest of the contract period am i right?
    also how long these contracts generally last, was it 12 months?

j4vier wrote:
    but if they block the account then i wont be forced to pay for the rest of the contract period am i right?
    also how long these contracts generally last, was it 12 months?
    they won't block it and yes its 12 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

j4vier wrote:

Welcome to the crazy world of Three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Was in a 3 store this afternoon and the guy sweared that there was no difference between 3pay and billpay – that they both “went through the same proxy” – and that you CANNOT use secure websites such as paddypower or aib online banking with EITHER service as they are BOTH restricted to http only.

Is he talking rubbish? Can anyone tell me they have used https on either service?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the guy hasnt a clue then

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Was in a 3 store this afternoon and the guy sweared that there was no difference between 3pay and billpay – that they both “went through the same proxy” – and that you CANNOT use secure websites such as paddypower or aib online banking with EITHER service as they are BOTH restricted to http only.

Is he talking rubbish? Can anyone tell me they have used https on either service?
    Thanks.

They usually have a phone on display in the shop. See if you can get access to a secure site on that and then ask them what the story is.

yeah but the problem with that is the guy is saying that secure sites don't work on EITHER 3pay or billpay - so if I use a set in the shop and it doesnt work he will just say there ya go...

yeah but the problem with that is the guy is saying that secure sites don't work on EITHER 3pay or billpay - so if I use a set in the shop and it doesnt work he will just say there ya go...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

But if you do get access then you can ask what the craic is with this phone. He might try and blow you off with some sh!t though. It is annoying not being able to access the same stuff as people on billpay. The stupid part is if I was able to access the same things I would use it more and probably have to up my bundle to the 250mb one. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Running a n73 on billPay and can get the AIB internet banking login page which is https, so obviously the guy in the shop is full of crap. Personally think that most of them don't know the answer to the question so they just say no it wont work to be on the safe side

thats what i needed to hear - proof that https works on billpay. can anyone now just try aib online with 3pay just to prove it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've used my online banking (AIB) with my 3 10GB broadband modem .. if that helps any.

ciaranfo wrote:
    I've used my online banking (AIB) with my 3 10GB broadband modem .. if that helps any.

afraid not, thanks anyway. We're talking about 3 mobile broadband i.e on your mobile phone. I've used the 3 usb modem as well - great service for internet on the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Can anyone help me, i'm still confused about what kind of internet you can access on 3pay handsets?
    I have recently gotten interested in moving to 3 from vodafone but there seems so little info available aboout their internet services. I went into a 3 store in dublin the other day and started asking about it. The security guard and the saleswoman were both trying to sell me the phone but seemed to be really concentrated in avoiding my q's about what sites they block. Atm I use opera mini on my vodafone prepay phone but it's expensive without a data package. I asked the saleswoman could I download opera onto the phone and she looked at me like I had 5 heads in confusion, I explained it's just a different browser and then she said she didn't know but said in any case I would need age verification before I used the internet on the phone even though I'm 18 (wtf?? Vodafone never asked for this). Also, while checking out the various handests I noticed there are about 10 bookmarks in 3's walled garden (like vodafone live) that you can apparently visit as much as you want(according to the woman)-is this true cause one of them was yahoo mail which would definitely interest me if i could check my emails for free? But that seemed to be it for the "internet" on 3, I didn't see any option to visit other non bookmarked sites like there is on vf live. What i'd like to know is if you can view the bookmarked sites for free for as long as you like then why is there a 5.99euro add on for 100mb? How does that add-on work for 3pay, do you have to go to a 3 store to buy the voucher?

• Advertisement

rc you can go to any site that is http. All third party applications that require an internet connection won't work e.g. opera mini, aft, dorsh, the gmail app etc. I haven't been able to get all sites working (can get onto boards but can't login) but this maybe a problem with my phone.

Advertisement