Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling gear

Options
  • 16-06-2007 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Recently bought a road bike and have done a 30km route a few times.
    I have no cycling gear bar a helmet and a computer.

I now want to try for a 50km route on Sundays and build from there.

Have you any recommadations for cycling gear?
    For instance, I'm cycling in my GAA kit so would it worthwhile shelling out for a jersey and cycling shorts. I suppose gloves are a good idea too.
    Also, I'm not mad about my clip pedals so is the expense of clipless pedals and shoes worth it?

I've budgeted for all this and the bike shop will give me a 10% discount for any gear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Absolutely - you'll feel a lot more comfortable wearing proper cycling gear - especially as you're spending longer in the saddle. Also, clipless pedals and shoes will increase your efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

loads of net shops in the stickies with quality gear! i like wiggle / chainreaction cyles and cyclesuperstore for my stuff all online!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Gloves are good to reduce pressure on your hands when on the handlebars, and to protect them in case of a fall.
    Padded shorts will make things more comfortable. Wear them without underwear (I've been wearing underwear under my lycra shorts for years only recently making the transition - good move).

You can leave the clipless pedals for a while. Toe clips will improve the efficiency, though I think that clipless pedals are easier to get out of. I use SPD cleats and mtb shoes on my commute bike (easy to walk in) and big Look cleats on my road bike. I'll never go back. At this stage I've forgotten how to cycle 'ordinary' pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

First thing to get imo would be a pair of bib shorts, they are the most comfortable bit of cycle wear you can get in my opinion. A jersey with rear pockets would also be fairly handy for carrying food, tubes etc.. without having to carry a ruck sack with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

How useful are cycling jerseys?

I currently run in t-shirts/tops made from a kind of polyester. When you perspire in them, the sweat evaporates quickly, so you stay pretty dry most of the time. Do cycling jerseys function in the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

How useful are cycling jerseys?

I currently run in t-shirts/tops made from a kind of polyester. When you perspire in them, the sweat evaporates quickly, so you stay pretty dry most of the time. Do cycling jerseys function in the same way?

Yeah they do but you can rarley get away with just wearing a jersey in this country you would wear a whicking base layer as well. Plus the jersey has 3 rear pockets for stuff like food tubes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Where can you get very light trousers. With the weather getting warmer I will need them, and I do not want to wear shorts. I was thinking of getting shell suit tracksuit bottoms and cutting out the inner lining, but if there is something off the shelf I would prefer it.

Edit: these look ok, wonder if you can get similar ones cheaper anywhere
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11429

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

rubadub wrote:
    Where can you get very light trousers. With the weather getting warmer I will need them, and I do not want to wear shorts. I was thinking of getting shell suit tracksuit bottoms and cutting out the inner lining, but if there is something off the shelf I would prefer it.

Maybe you should try these https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=207&idproduct=12927

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yeah they do but you can rarley get away with just wearing a jersey in this country you would wear a whicking base layer as well. Plus the jersey has 3 rear pockets for stuff like food tubes etc

Arm warmers are also a good half way point between base and no base. Dead handy if the morning is a bit chilly, you can just pull them off and stick them in your pocket once you warm up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

rubadub wrote:

Why not get tights? Those yokes look like they'd be flapping around a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 TOURTHELANCE

Have loads of old gear i am selling pm me if interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

I wouldn't get those trousers when the nice weather is coming. Even bib shorts would be sufficient. I prefer cycling in bib shorts rather than tights/trousers even up to winter. Some mornings it gets too cold so tights is necessary:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

OP here.
    Ended up ordering loads of stuff from chainreaction cycles website.
    They promise delivery tomorrow so here's hoping.
    Ordered gloves, a cheap jersey & shorts, a multi-tool device and a water bottle cage. Another helmet as well.

The store where I got the bike offered me 10% off purchases but I can't make there until the weekend.

All I need now are clipless pedals and shoes and I'll buy them in store as I can't realy buy shoes over the internet.

Advertisement