Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New website !

Options
  • 17-06-2007 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    Im setting up a new website (A reviewing IT website actually ) And i dont want to design it becuase im crap at that. I was just wondering is there anyone who would be willing to design one free for me that i could upload, maybe someone in college who would like to do it for free as a project or something :)

Thanks in advance,
    Barry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

if you want you could get a free template somewhere that'll sort out the basic design, and get to tinkering...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

Thanks , I will browse .. *** Still Looking for a samaritan designer :D ***

Barry

It always disappoints me to see people undervalue the power of talented designers by asking for handouts. I had a little general rant here until I realized you were 16.

So instead I recommend you excercise the ol' noggin and maybe try learning from the design of websites you like. If you don't want to pay for it and won't take what's provided free, I think you should put a little more effort into your idea if it's all that groundbreaking.

Lord knows there's a shortage of IT review sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The other option is to use a hosting service that includes a basic sitebuilder of some kind...

It won't be a work of art, but they can look quite presentable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

My advice is to look into Joomla. Its a content management system that even someone with very little knowledge can create a very good site. There are loads of free templates available, and if you pay a little you can get some very nice ones.

You don't need any coding experience, its all WYSIWYG. It's a huge community so there is an incredible amount of add ons and extensions.

I've designed a few basic static sites before in html, But after discovering Joomla I'd can't see myself ever using anything else. You can get a basic yet attractive site together in a couple of hours, and then spend as long as you like adding features and extra content etc very easilly.

Whew, I was in a foul mood this morning, apologies, lack of sleep does terrible things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

So basically your setting up something, which i assume is going to be in someway commercial.. And you want someone to do the work for free? so that you can then make money from ads or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I thought I'd post this question here as it is relevant and may help Barry in the process.

Can anyone reccomend any good Web Design sites? Not just templates to look at but something along the lines The Principles of Beautiful Web Design by Jason Beaird. It tells you the logic of placing this here and that there. I've purchased the book but haven't recieved it yet so I was wondering if there are any good sites out there.

Thanks,

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

Hey thanks for all the feedback,

No it wont be commericial , If it was id pay an arm and a leg for a website, Joomla looks cool... Ill give it a shot.

Barry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I'd actually recommend you get yourself wordpress ... lots of themes to use ... you can have your various categories ... and its a lot simpler to use than joomla .... once you get up and running with wordpress there are a LOT of free themes out there you can grab and use ... their installation is quite simple ...

Joomla is a bit of a beast if you're just starting out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

forbairt wrote:
    I'd actually recommend you get yourself wordpress ... lots of themes to use ... you can have your various categories ... and its a lot simpler to use than joomla .... once you get up and running with wordpress there are a LOT of free themes out there you can grab and use ... their installation is quite simple ...

Joomla is a bit of a beast if you're just starting out ...

Yeah, go with WordPress and pick one of hundreds of free themes out there. Review website in blog format is not uncommon, although you can tweak the theme to make it looks different.

Marty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 skypette

Hey Guys,
    Im setting up a new website (A reviewing IT website actually ) And i dont want to design it becuase im crap at that. I was just wondering is there anyone who would be willing to design one free for me that i could upload, maybe someone in college who would like to do it for free as a project or something :)

Thanks in advance,
    Barry.

why dont you try blogger. friend has site done on http://www.padraigkavanaghwildlifephotography.blogspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

tbh Barry, if you are setting up an IT review site, it shouldnt be something you get a student to do free of charge. An informed IT reader is unlikely to return to a poorly designed site.

Wordpress is a fantastic piece of software that allows people with no experience in web design to put together a standards compliant, well designed website. With a bit of research you can really make your Wordpress blog stick out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ye threads of long ago... Go back to where ye came from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement