Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

problem with rear lights, transit van.

Options
  • 17-06-2007 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am having an unusual problem with my 2001 Transit van (T350). The rear lights don't work. The indicators, brake lights, rear fog lamps and reverse lights work.. but the normal rear lights don't...

I had a mechanic look at it, he checked the fuses and found none blown... the strange thing is that the rear lights are on a dual filiment bulb with the brake lights... and the brake lights work! :confused:

Neither side works... my mechanic is confused, he reckons it may be a switch somewhere or something... I'm wondering if anyone may be able to help before my mechanic has to disassemble the whole van to find the problem...

It doesn't appear to be a fuse problem or a bulb problem... so it must be a switch problem, right?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers so
    Joe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The switch would be a prime suspect okay, but don't forget there's a bunch of wires and connectors in there too.

Check the easiest stuff first.
    Make certain of the fuse. Swap it for a known good one, and check for current at the fuse holder and through the fuse when it's installed.
    Are you absolutely certain the bulbs are good? It's certainly unusual, but not unheard of, for both bulbs to go bad (roughly) simultaneously.
    Pull one or both and check them directly on a good battery, and check if there's current at the bulb holder contacts while they're out.
    If that all checks out okay, look at the switch. Check for current to and through the switch, that'll isolate on which side of it the fault lies.
    If that's all good, you're looking for faulty wiring and/or loose connectors.
    Be methodical and look to narrow down the source of the problem by excluding sections of the wiring by checking for current at easily (ish) accessible points.

Good luck, this can be frustrating stuff. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi Rovi

I'm lucky that I rent a workshop and a mechanic rents next door! He has checked for current using his multimeter at various points, the fuses and bulbs have been checked / replaced and appear ok.

I have asked him to do a service next week and he said he will check the problem out more thourourly (spelling?) then...

About this potential switch problem... there is only one switch in the dashboard and it works in so far as the other lights come on when it's turned... you're right though that the only way to correct this problem is to be methodical and check for current at the various points and narrow down the problem.

Cheers
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Move this to the the cormie Transit Forum. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

LOL, I saw Cormie's thread, I'm a woodworker too and my van would be perfect for him!

It's a jumbo model, max length and height, 4.1 m long in the back, tall enough to stand up in and I payed 9,500 + VAT in 2005 for it! It's an English 2001. No second crew cab though. I haven't had any problems apart from minor ones and would recommend Transits as good vans with cheap spare parts (in my opinion).

I say it's max height but I have seen transits with more height... because it is very long the chassis seems to be a heavier model so the floor of the van is higher than a smaller van, so less height inside.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If there's a towbar fitted, check where the wires have been joined for the wiring plug.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have the same year van, same problem, the circutry in the rear light panel gets corroded with damp, you have to dismantle and rub with emmery paper and wd 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The left indicator went on my Landcruiser on Fri. I bought new bulb and checked for blown fuses. Had me stumped for about an hour. I was ringing up mates to see if they could shed light. Then I traced it back to a connector just behing the light. I plugged it out and back in and hey presto.

Car electrics, huh. Just be glad it's not a French car. :D

Advertisement